My kids no longer like Haunted Mansion..... :-(

Disown them immediately. Seriously, I'd just tell them you are riding it and they can either ride it with you or go do something else with Dad. While pleasing our kids is important sometimes they need to know mommy is a person who gets what she wants every once in awhile.

LOL, that was my first thought!

Eh, if I want to ride it and it's not a thrill ride where I can understand they sincerely are afraid, they go on it . "Boring" isn't reason enough for me to miss it for them. HM is one of those I cannot miss when I'm in MK. Last trip my 8 year old didn't want to do it because he was scared. Knowing he had been on it at least 6 times prior and was just fine I made him go and just told him he could close his eyes if he felt he needed to. He survived and the rest of us enjoyed it.

There are always at least a few attractions, rides, or meals during the trip where one or more kid gives me grief about not wanting to do them. They usually get a little speech about how this is a family vacation and there are rides I don't like to go on either, but I do it for them because it's not about each of us individually. Sometimes we suck it up for the rest of the family.

One of my all time favorites, and a Disney classic. My 8 and 6 year old are over it. Boring, they say. When my youngest was 4, it was her favorite ride - she did it like a hundred times. Last year, only once. Planning for this year, and neither want to do it. I'm so heart broken. How do I rekindle the love? Maybe we should stop going to Disney every year, eh? Ugh.... I mean, if it were IASW, or CoP, or AO, or so many others....fine, but HM?! :sad::sad::sad:
like others have said all ride but have before or after something they want to ride

Yes!! My 8 year old said the same thing this year! It was his absolute favorite ride when he was 5 and he was excited to go on it again this trip, but after we got done he was like "That's it? That wasn't scary at all!" Lol.

I agree with a previous comment about showing them the movie though! I pointed out stuff to my kids during the movie that was taken straight from the ride. That did make it more enjoyable to both my 8 year old who thought it was boring, and my 4 year old who was actually scared of the ride.

When I was a kid, my parents always wanted us to go on the classic rides. Even as teenagers, we always hit HM and IASW and Tiki Room, even though none of those are all that exciting for a teen. It's just part of the Disney experience! I wouldn't say they forced us or anything, it was just known that it was expected of us, lol.

I'm assuming you're paying for the trip and not them, right? If so, I don't think they get a choice about whether or not they ride it.

Don't worry about which rides they like from one trip or another. They're young, and opinions will constantly change. As long as you're buying them trips to Disney, they get to do what you want to do... I don't think being forced on HM is a particularly horrible thing. They'll live and probably enjoy it anyway.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would never force my kids to go on a thrill ride that scared them. But for 10 minutes on the HM, especially when they have enjoyed it in the past?? Suck it up buttercup.

And THIS ^^^^^^^^^^ The first words that came to mine were "Suck it up buttercup!" As mentioned, I would never force a child on a ride they were frightened of. However, "boring?" Eh eh, mama don't play don't that, as much as it costs to go do Disney. I'm going on and so are your little butts!

I do not understand these words in the order of this sentence. I'll be retaining a translator.:earboy2:

It made no sense to me either. Even trying to read it made me need to go put in eye drops.

Seriously, I wouldn't take them to WDW for a couple of years, sounds like they don't realize how lucky they are! Wait it out for awhile, no doubt they'll be begging to go on ANY of the rides!

Seriously, I wouldn't take them to WDW for a couple of years, sounds like they don't realize how lucky they are! Wait it out for awhile, no doubt they'll be begging to go on ANY of the rides!

Yeah, I'm thinking more beach, less Disney......at least for a little while. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Could you make it fun again for them? Read them the story of it. Ask them to look out for certain items and sights. All sing the song..

Thrn go into the store and show them those portraits they do with your photo and naje you into a ghoul!

We have a couple of "family rules" on vacation. One is zero whining, complaining, or bickering. Another is that if someone picks a "favorite" ride, we all ride it -- without complaining (see rule #1). We do make allowances for those who have motion sickness (no spinning rides for me) or coaster issues (Gma). The person who this usually backfires on is ME! I could easily skip the Carousel of Progress, but we all go on it every single visit because the girls love it! And, how do we deal with whining? After one warning, Gma takes the offending child back to the resort for a "nap." No TV, no electronics of any kind. Just you laying in bed and Gma reading a book. NOTE: This only had to happen once in 12 years. The lesson was duly learned.

Our rule- Family trip- Family rides. We all get one or or two passes per parks for rides we really have a reason not to ride... coaster or spin rides but we all ride most rides together. I ride the speedway cars and my boys ride COP and it's all good

I would never make a kid go on something they were scared of, but "bored with" - yeah, you're paying and they can suck it up!

The way we do it is that everyone picks one or two "must do"s and a few "want to"s, and we do the top picks first, then add the others if we can. If everyone is reassured that their own favorites are in the plan, I think they're more cheerful about others' picks.

Aw that stinks!! Mine are still in the liking it phase. They are finally old enough to remember that it isn't really THAT scary. When they were littler, and we'd do the first part at the very end of the line where they crowd you into the creepy room, they'd always get nervous and not believe me that the ride isn't really that scary. Now they remember + like it. We always seem to not make it over there until the end of the day and it's hotter than the pits of you know where in the line, and the line is so long!! But that's another issue. haha!

It's a Disney message board, this is a valid problem to bring up here!!! I'm not a huge HM fan, but I feel your pain. Nobody would do Peter Pan with me this past trip. Maybe it was because the wait time was over an hour, but it's one of my favourites! I didn't get ride it :( I did however force my daughter to do HM and Splash Mountain in one day and she told me it was the worse Disney day of her life LOL!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter