My First Marathon Report

wtpclc

<font color=red>Has three great loves: Mickey, Po
Well, didn’t sleep much prior to that 3 am alarm, but I don’t think anything would have helped that. Made our way to the bus stop at 3:30 and got on the bus right away. WDW at 3:30 am is surreal. 14,000 people getting ready to run a marathon at that time is also surreal.

I was really afraid of the change in temps. 34 at the start was not a problem for the MI girl, but ending in the 60’s?? That’s quite the change. We started to get a little cold waiting for the 6 am start. Good thing is wasn’t windy, but an hour and a half in the same place gets a little cold. There was some entertainment, but the jumbo tron looked like a micro tron from as far back as we were. The start came before we knew it though. Shed the sweat pants and headed for the line. It took about 3 to 4 minuets just to get to the starting line, but things went pretty quickly after that.

Miles 0 – 2.5 Pretty much just in awe of everything. The people the lights, glimpses of SE. Wow.

Miles 2.5 to 3 Around the World Showcase lagoon with all the lights. Amazing. The hardest part was that we passed the 25 mile mark in here. That made my brain go into overdrive, but there was so much to see, my mind recovered quickly.

IMG_1243.jpg

Keep in mind that I’m not a great photographer, but these were taken while running.

Miles 3 to 4.5 Continued to loop around the outside of Epcot. I took pics at every mile marker as they had a different character and saying. At mile 4, had a bit of a mishap when the pavement grabbed my toe (maybe a reflector, who knows). Went down pretty hard and scraped my knee and shin, but didn’t really seem to hurt anything. Helped a lot that I saw my family shortly after that. I never thought we’d find them in the crowds, but it was so great to see them! (Got to give them the first upper body layer we shed too)

Miles 4.5 to 9 Long trek to MK. The loop to go from W to N was cool.

IMG_1252.jpg

Look! We’re not last!

Being Disney, they brought in cheerleaders, bands, drum cores, and even hula’ing retirees to cheer us on. That helped pass the time a lot.

Miles 9 to 10 We’re on our way! TTC was cool and a group from Tag team was there to cheer. It’s amazing to hear your name in such crowds. (I kind of fed on that too. Needed all the help I could get.) Under the water bridge

IMG_1269.jpg

Past contemporary and ahead to MK. Wow, it’s getting cool now!!!

Mile 10 to 11 MK!!! We entered on Main Street and my family was right by the Christmas tree. Wow. Worlds just can’t describe it. Plus, I could shed my last layer.

Turn the corner and there’s the castle.

IMG_1279.jpg

Through Tomorrowland, quick stop to take a pic of Mr. And Mrs. Incredible. Very appropriate. As I went by, Mrs. I stuck out her hand for me to slap. That was way cool. Right behind her was stitch to slap my hand. Did I mention that they were playing colors of the wind, then Tiki Room? I danced through MK!!!

Miles 12 to 16 were tough. Luckily Tag team caught us on Floridian way and gave me a boost. Hearing that I was half way at 13.1 was not a big perk to me, though. I was feeling pretty bad by the time I hit AK.

Miles 16 to 18 Well, as we came to AK, I could hear Phil singing from Tarzan. A favorite singer and a favorite sound track. That helped. Passed Rafiki on the Jumpin’ Jungle parade platform and that was another perk. Then I heard my Pooh-bear singing. Oh, you could have cut he excitement with a knife. Turned the corner and there were Pooh and Piglet.

8d2e888f.jpg

Then around the next corner were Baloo and King Louie. Mad dh get a pic with them. Baloo’s his fav.

Caught some nice views of EE. Wow. Then it got hard. The pavement there is less than spectacular to run on, especially when you’ve already done 16 miles!! I was warned about this, but I don’t know that it made it easier. I also was not looking forward to the stretch after AK.

Miles 18 to 22.5 These were tough. The crowds were nice, but they weren’t my group and it was all straight road (and over passes). Plus miles 20 and 21 were a straight out and back by WWoS. Very hard mentally. Did get a laugh at the beer offered at mile 20, but didn’t drink it. I wanted to die by mile 20. It was the farthest I had run in training and I had 6 miles to go. DH was having a tough time too. Luckily, our tough times were not at the same times! I don’t think that I could have done it by myself.

I just kept thinking that I could make it to MGM. There would be music and characters there. Then BW would have a WISH cheering team and Epcot would be the home stretch. Boy, it sure did take forever to get there though.

Miles 22.5 to 23.5 MGM was cool. They rolled out the red carpet for us. Nice touch, but it stunk to run on. By the time we got there, it was puckered and seemed to stick to your shoes. Got off that quick. Characters weren’t so thrilling here, although seeing someone in a Wings sweatshirt helped. There were a lot of little steep hills that killed me. I knew I was getting close to BW, though and I knew that would help.

Mile 24 to 25 Made it to BW, but I was dying. Luckily the WISH team made themselves known well and I got revved again. Just needed to enter Epcot and I was golden. Too bad that last high only lasted about 30 seconds. This is when my leg started hurting from my fall. Thank goodness I had 20 miles before it bothered me!

Miles 25 to 26.2 Made it to WS lagoon. It wasn’t as cool as the lit up version and there were very few people cheering. The CMs there seemed tired or were trying to get ready to open as it was right around 11. That ball seemed soooooo far away.

5f1c6723.jpg

People were cheering that we were almost there, and usually the last mile I cruise, but I was tired and those bridges were killing me. Next I heard that I was almost there and the gospel choir was right around the corner. Huh???? Well,…

IMG_1338.jpg

Hallelujah!!!! Yup, I needed that.

We were in the bleachers area now and the finish was in sight. DH told me to go ahead, but no way. He never left me in training and I was not going to do it then. (Not that I think I could have at that point) We did finish pretty strong though.

I still can’t believe I finished, but my Mickey medal says I did. Wow.

IMG_1340.jpg

Now, I've got a lot of catching up to do!!!

Carrie, welcome back! And congratulations on your marathon! Great race report, boy do those pictures ever bring back great memories!!

I must resist registering for 2007...DH will kill me! He says there are too many other good marathons to try....yeah (whimper,whimper) but they are not Disney.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you! It looks like you had a great holiday.

Colleen

Carrie, Awsome report! I'm so glad you posted teh pics of teh course. I had to ditch my disp. camera, so I have none. I'm so glad you got the Gospel Choir-- I will never forget them!

Great job!

Sunny

Carrie, cool pics! Excellent report! Thanks for sharing. It's very exciting to me! :hyper:

Judy

Carrie, thank you for posting your report, I really enjoyed reading it! The pictures were awesome!

Good for you!

It's awesome that you and your husband did this together!

Celeste

Excellent report! Congrats Carrie!!!!

Next year, would you and the other Full racers say you'd like a few more cheering in Epcot proper? Susan and I were going to sleep as long as we could (Half day before so we'll be needing sleep) then figured we could be at the finish with no problems but if a few more cheering you on in the showcase would be better then just say where and we'll head there :)

I'm almost more excited about the prospect of getting to cheer on the Full next year then doing our own race LOL I've heard so many happy reports of those who did cheering that we've caught the bug and can't wait to yell a name ourselves.

Congrats and thanks so much for sharing the pics!!!!

Carrie -- Awesome report! Thank you so much for sharing your memories and your pictures. We were so glad to see you in front of the Beach Club -- very reassuring to know our WISHers were doing okay. You are so awesome! Thank you for being such an inspiration!
:hug:

Great report and pictures - I can't wait to run the marathon myself next year! You have given me something to look forward to :thumbsup2

Carrie- I love the report! It brings back so many happy memories. It's funny, but I think the very best memories of the race are people cheering for me. DH at the Contemporary and at the GF, you and Scott on Main Street. It was great starting the race with other WISHers like TammyNC and finding Mel (Chimera) along the course to walk with for a while.

By the way, what in the world are those people in front of you wearing in the Castle shot? Why would anyone want others to think that they were running bare-bunned? Seeing that makes the Elvis impersonator and the numerous tinkerbells look sane. I guess we could consider that for our WISH outfit next year. :rotfl:

Good eye Heather :lmao: I didn't even catch that! What in the world :confused3

I was thinking of writing 26.2 or BUST across my butt but I didn't have the guts!!!!!!

Thansk everyopne! It was quite the adventure.

Heather - That would be teh "Wide Load" team. Yup, they had Wide Load on the fronts of their shirts. You're right. I will always remeber where people were cheering. It was so amazing to be at WDW with thousands of people and hearing your name or just knowing those people were cheerign for you. Incredible. ALso, teh WISHers who passed us durign teh run: Helen, Stheve, Christa, MelR (Forgive me if I've missed anyone). I forgot I was tired when any of that support came around. I just wished I knew the names and faces before I cheered on Main Street for the half.

Diane - More people at WS would be great, but it does not open until 11 am. I hit 25 miles (just inside WS) at 10:55. The boardwalk was a great place to have people cheering. If you could get in Future world, that would be very nice too, but WS really was hardest for me and there was just no one who could cheer because it wasn't open.

they didn't let people back into the WS to cheer? if not we'll get into Futureworld and head in as far was we can.

i grabbed the 2006 book and in looking at the map the Full enteres Epcot again thru the Beach Club WS Entrance which I know duh BUT LOL that reminded me that you can go between that area and Futureland so I should be able to get back there, probably not allowed over the bridge into France because you all will be using it but it looks like it's Mile 25 and I really think I can get there before the WS truly opens. I know I've done in the past.

Keep in mind that I probably won't get to the park until close to 11 am LOL But we will try to get there as soon as we can and cheer in those that are running thru then.

Next question will be getting there but I'm sure we can handle that once we get to the bus stop in the morning. I remember for the Half we ran thru where our bus stop usually was, how do they get the guests from the resorts to Epcot for the regular park hours? Does anyone know? My original plan had been the finish line since I know the buses are running from that but any heads up on what to expect going from the resort to Epcot during the races?

I seriously can't wait for next January!!!! I can't wait to run the Half again but even more I can't wait to cheer for the 1st time LOL

thanks for the tips, i like to plan ahead so knowing where we'll be cheering will help the rest of the day fall into place. oh I can't wait!

Congratulations, Carrie!

Dh also ran the full this year and I watched! next year, I am supposed to try for the 1/2! Your photos and thoughts were great and inspirational. I loved seeing them and it brought back the excitement of the day!

Again, congrats. You should be so proud!

Brenda - Have you gotten onto teh weekly running/walking club threads yet? If not, go. Best group you could ask for to get you to the half. I'll be there cheering fo ryou if you do!

Diane - You will love cheering. Everyone's so appreciative. It's very rewarding. Just a small warning, though. If you're near the end, people won't be able to express their gratitude as much. Just know that it is so appreciated! STay as long as you can, because teh people further back can need it the most. I thought the buses were pretty normal once parks opened. I don't know anything about teh course going through the bus stop, though. I'd say to check at the desk. CAn't wait to see you in January!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter