My first Half Marathon

joelybelly

Mouseketeer
I just did the Disneyland 5k & 10k and loved it. Now I want to tackle all three next year. I have never ran a half marathon before and I have started training. But I keep seeing posts about fueling during the long runs.

What is fueling?
What do you eat?

Thank you so much!

I believe they are referring to gels, gu, beans, etc. These are quick absorbing energy supplies to "refuel" "recharge" on long runs

I did the Goofy challenge in 2006. Those were the most fun races I've ever done. It's going to be awesome. For me, I never felt "under fueled" so I wouldn't worry about it. Hydration and electrolytes (salt) on the other hand... super important. Drink small and drink often. Then take it all in and have fun. The journey to the races is almost as fun as the races themselves.

I just did the Disneyland 5k & 10k and loved it. Now I want to tackle all three next year. I have never ran a half marathon before and I have started training. But I keep seeing posts about fueling during the long runs.

What is fueling?
What do you eat?

Fueling refers to taking in some form of nutrition during a longer run or other endurance activity. Many people find themselves running low on energy after 60-90 minutes of activity and need to eat something to help them keep going. Typically, runners use gels, bloks, jelly beans, and other kinds of easy to digest carbohydrates/sugars to boost their energy levels and help them continue running. How many to eat and at what intervals is something each person needs to determine for themselves through experimentation during long runs in training. What works for one person may or may not work for another.

To add to previous comments, you may find that you do not need to fuel during runs, even long runs, for a half marathon. Before you decide to add it to your list of "must dos", try the longer runs without fuel. Just be sure that you adequately cover your hydration and electrolyte needs on long and/or hot runs.

To add to previous comments, you may find that you do not need to fuel during runs, even long runs, for a half marathon. Before you decide to add it to your list of "must dos", try the longer runs without fuel. Just be sure that you adequately cover your hydration and electrolyte needs on long and/or hot runs.

That's me. I find that the chews, the gu's, the gels, the gummies all make me get phlegmy.

I agree with what everyone has said here, and although I don't really NEED any fuel during a half marathon, I have found that eating one gel at about mile 8 (right before a water stop) helps me finish strong. Otherwise, I sometimes feel a little weak after mile 10 or 11. In any case, you should test things out during your long training runs to see what does or doesn't work for you.

Thank you everyone for your input! It has helped me out a lot with understanding how to finish long runs in good condition.

Where do you get these supplements?

My local running store sells singles of the various options which is nice. You can try a bunch of different things to see which one you like best. That might be worth looking into. Once I found which one I liked, thank I ordered a whole box of that from Amazon. Also, fueling doesn't have to mean specific running things like this. There are natural foods you can use too, raisins, sweet potatoes, etc. I've used mini boxes of raisins before and they worked for me. http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2015/10/nutrition/how-to-fuel-long-runs-with-real-food_48166

Congrats on the Disneyland 5k and 10k. Hope you enjoy the half next year :)

Are you following a training regiment? I personally really like Hal Higdon's training program for any run.

My local running store sells singles of the various options which is nice. You can try a bunch of different things to see which one you like best. That might be worth looking into. Once I found which one I liked, thank I ordered a whole box of that from Amazon.
You can also get fuel at REI if you have one near you and most Sporting Good Stores. With popular ones you can sometimes even find mixed packs on Amazon.

Edit: Realized I can't sell sporting goods.

Last edited:
I personally try to shop at a local running store whenever possible. There are some things I will look for online for the cheapest price, but my running stuff is very rarely one of them. They do lots for running around here, and I want them to stick around, so I will pay a SLIGHT premium on stuff.

I personally try to shop at a local running store whenever possible. There are some things I will look for online for the cheapest price, but my running stuff is very rarely one of them. They do lots for running around here, and I want them to stick around, so I will pay a SLIGHT premium on stuff.
This is definitely true and I would make it my first stop if I was just starting out and wanted to try things. That being said, not all running stores carry a lot of stock in a variety of fuels. For example my local store carries about 5-7 types of fuel and I use one, maybe two if they have it in stock. If there's something specific you're looking for that they don't normally carry you have to get it in bulk which isn't a huge problem when you know you like it but for trying new things I would say start at the running store but don't limit yourself only to what's available there if you can't find something you like.

We are very blessed here in central Ohio to have a few AMAZING stores.. So I may be spoiled :D I agree if you find something you like and can only get it online, that changes everything!!

WOW!! I am so glad I asked for advice here!

I will check out and find running stores in my area first. And know I can also try natural foods, excites me. I am a little nervous trying something that might make me feel funny.

Are you following a training regiment? I personally really like Hal Higdon's training program for any run.

I just installed the ismoothrun app on my phone and Im following the training from rundisney for the Double Dare. Maybe I am not doing something right because I am not doing anything like the rest of the vet runners here.

I just installed the ismoothrun app on my phone and Im following the training from rundisney for the Double Dare. Maybe I am not doing something right because I am not doing anything like the rest of the vet runners here.
With running, unless you are trying to win a race, there really is no "right" way to do it. Everyone here does it differently. Find what works for you and have fun.

Here's what I learned about fueling. For my first 1/2 I didn't fuel at all during the long runs. And honestly, I made it through them all without trouble.

However, after learning more about fueling and why it matters, I tried some chews while training for my second 1/2 and learned that the long runs went better. The chews were just enough to take the edge off and then I ate after the run was over. It didn't make me faster, but it did help me finish stronger as it were.

Here's what I learned about fueling. For my first 1/2 I didn't fuel at all during the long runs. And honestly, I made it through them all without trouble.

However, after learning more about fueling and why it matters, I tried some chews while training for my second 1/2 and learned that the long runs went better. The chews were just enough to take the edge off and then I ate after the run was over. It didn't make me faster, but it did help me finish stronger as it were.

Thank you for this information! I really needed to hear this, I'm learning I go.

You're welcome. And you're already ahead of me. Honestly, I was so afraid of not finishing that I never really even considered questions and asking others what to do. I feared that someone would tell me that my plan was doomed to fail, so I went in knowing next to nothing. It was only after I finished that race that I became part of this community and began to learn things I could do to make my runs more enjoyable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter