My Dream Came True! A TR of continued WDW brainwashing of DS and allergy-free food!

stackyallred

DIS Veteran
Before we begin, please take a moment to cue up your favorite Disney song... you know the one I am talking about. The one that gives you that special, magical feeling and makes you feel like you are in your happy place. The one that can bring joy to your dark days and remind you that you dreams do come true if you just believe. Now, begin playing that song while you read. That way, no matter how boring or how exciting you find my report to be, it will seem that much more magical thanks to the sound track. I suppose this just became an interactive trip report, so thanks for participating. :thumbsup2

Disney likes to capitalize on the idea that memories last a lifetime, so I am telling myself that even though this trip report is 8 months late, it is ok since it centers around those said memories! Here is the problem with trip reports... You are so stinking excited to take your trip and then when you get back you are hit with 1. normal life and 2. Disney withdrawal. :crazy2: The problem with Disney withdrawal is that you have to either feed it and possibly lose your job, relationships and sanity because you are constantly perusing disboards, easyWDW, trip photos, etc or you have to do what I did (and always have to do after a WDW trip): Quit cold turkey. I have learned that until I can really see another trip in the near future, I must STAY AWAY from all things WDW related so that I can enjoy my life and not constantly wish I were somewhere else (notice I said constantly... as in I still wish I were at WDW during my avoid all things WDW efforts, just not every moment!). Now that we have another trip in the near future (10th anniversary woohoo!), I feel I can safely wade back into the Disney vacation waters!

I did start a pre-trip report last August and made a promise to not abandon it, and you can read it in my signature. The name of it is "My Dream Is A Meal A Chef Makes" and that is what inspired the name for this trip report, since my dream came true in a big way! The PTR goes into a lot more detail about my food allergy planning and some of our WDW history just in case you are suddenly super interested in us. :rotfl:

If you choose to skip over that, here is a brief run down of my fellow vacationers and a little back ground:

DH, 32 and me back on our 5th anniversary trip in 2008. He loves Disney World as much as me and we have been vacationing here almost every year since our honeymoon in 2003. He loves to keep up to date on all Disney news and is 100% a kid at heart. I'm the planner, the obsessor, the mom, wife, daughter. I love to plan our trips but once we are in the room and settled, I pretty much just like to go with the flow. We like our schedule but arent slaves to it (other than sticking with our ADRs).

DS, almost 3 at the time of the trip. He is truly our son... he knows every word to the songs on the Four Parks, One World Disney Parks CD and talks about Disney World daily. This was his 3rd trip since he was 11 months old.

Mom/MeMee (age omitted to protect me, her daughter :lmao:). Mom had not really had any good WDW experiences prior to this trip due to not having things like disboards and having to endure severe heat and crowds. But she will gladly follow her grandson anywhere (as would my dad if he didnt have to work) so she was excited to join us. She was also about to fall in love with Disney World, she just didnt know it yet (she just needed to go with me and DH to show her the ropes! :laughing:). This was her and DS when he was about 5 months old.

This was my first trip in 9 years of WDW vacations with my newly diagnosed food allergies and intolerances. 6 months before our trip I was blind sighted with the discovery of over 40 foods that were suddenly off limits. I had been suffering for years with undiagnosed health problems and had no idea that I was daily eating foods that were making me terribly ill in a variety of ways. So, I had a massive diet overhaul (as did DH and DS since I do all the cooking) and was nervous yet excited about this new adventure of eating allergy free. Because of the nature of my diet, I had not eaten one meal that I had not personally prepared in my home in the 6 months since my allergy diagnosis. I was committed to healing my body through eating correctly so I was very strict. It was quite a walk out of my comfort zone to get on a plane and plan to let someone else (lots of someone elses!) cook for me for 12 days! But let me tell you, IT. WAS. AMAZING!!! I will be not only be giving a regular trip report but also an allergy dining report with pictures and descriptions of where and what I ate (to the best of my memory). I was given so many helpful hints and lots of great guidance by other Dissers so maybe I can repay a little of that back.

Here is a picture of us all at about 5:15 AM on September 10 ready to head out for the airport. Ill report more soon!

I started this TR about 3 weeks ago and then got REALLY sick with some sort of head cold stuff, so it probably looks like I had abandoned it. I am just now feeling "normal" again! Back to the memories... :goodvibes

So... off we go! We headed to the airport and DS was constantly asking when we would get there. We live literally in the middle of our town so we are never in the car more than about 5 minutes. We can easily walk to Target, all the grocery stores, restaurants, and our church so DS thinks all travel should take less than 10 minutes! :rotfl: The airport is about 50 minutes away so that distance paired with his antsy excitement for where we were headed was one way to make sure we were awake! We checked our bags, successfully made it through security and waited for a bit to board our plane. Before we knew it, we were ready to go. Poor DH was left in the opposite row by himself (of course this meant he got to snooze in peace, lol)!

DS was very good on the plane. We had rented a CARES harness on eBay rather than hauling a car seat with us because we knew DS and my mom would be traveling home alone. I didn’t want her to have to worry about that AND keep track of DS. It was a GREAT investment- only $13 to rent and it was so easy. We will be renting again until he is old enough to securely use the plane’s seatbelt. I had perused Pinterest for months to come up with a “busy bag” full of things to keep him, well... busy! My mom also brought along some things to keep him entertained. The flight is just over 2 hours so it really isn’t long at all. Upon landing, DS shouted, “Welcome to Disney World, everyone!” :rotfl2: He is just slightly outgoing and was just a bit excited! I always think about how the poor business travelers who travel to and from Orlando probably get tired of traveling with all the super excited kids (and adults, who am I kidding???) who are coming to Disney World. Anyway, while we waited for the OK to disembark, DS was charming all of the other passengers who were asking him questions about what we were going to do when we got to Disney World. This was such a cool part of this trip- seeing him be excited because he KNEW what was coming since he was old enough to remember the trip we took the year before!

As we entered the airport, I began to do what I always do: Scan the crowd for those who are headed home from WDW. You can always tell by the WDW shopping bags, merchandise, exhausted and sad but fulfilled looks. I always feel a twinge of sadness for them and then I walk by and try to forget about it for the next 1-2 weeks! :lmao: It seemed in no time that we were following those waving, white Mickey hands to our line for the ME bus to POP Century. One thing that I really loved was seeing my mom experience this side of Disney World- the well planned, see what all Disney offers, stay on site, eat on site, let-your-WDW-experienced-daughter-be-your-tour-guide kind of Disney World. I could see that she thought that arriving at the airport and not having to worry about our luggage PLUS being able to hop on a bus that would take us to our resort was pretty nifty. I was sure I was going to make her a repeat visitor!

We basically walked right onto our POP bus and only waited for maybe 5 minutes to take off. That was by far the fastest that has ever gone for us! I have to say, that was the name of the game for this trip- everything just went SOOO smoothly! We had a great bus driver who played a trivia game and DH and I won! My mom was laughing at us for knowing all the answers. I can’t even remember the questions now but it was fun to start off the trip that way. The driver threw some skittles back at us which we happily passed on to another family (DS can’t have food coloring or he becomes a bit like Jack Jack, the baby on the Incredibles and doesn’t sleep for 5 days straight). DS was of course amused with being on a bus and not in regular seat. Every building he saw, was followed by THE question: “Is THAT Disney World?!”

We stopped at AOA first and DH and I were excited to get a little peak. DS saw lots of familiar characters and was talking and pointing a mile a minute. Next up, POP!

When we arrived at POP it was around 11:30ish AM. DH headed inside to get in the check-in line, my mom took DS off to the side and I grabbed all of our carry-ons from under the bus. The check-in line was looking like it might take a while so we left DH to handle that and we went to explore in the Everything POP gift shop. Of course my mom, being the loving MeMee, immediately started finding things she wanted to buy DS. My mom, who has never been one to be overly into Disney was picking up everything and saying “OH, this is SO cute!” I knew then that she was slowly becoming one of us! :rotfl2: After about 15 minutes, I get a call from DH saying he needs mom to come join him so she can check into her room. Ooops! So she headed out and DS kept checking out all the merchandise. After maybe another 5 minutes, mom and DH appeared with our Keys to the World. We had requested connecting, top floor rooms in a quiet location and perhaps a lake view if possible. They said we could wait for a lake room or take one over in the 80’s building that met all of our other requests now and we decided to take it. Off to find our home for the next week and a half!

There was no way this was going to be a quick trip to the room. DS was ready to explore!

We really liked the location we were assigned. It wasn’t too far from the main building and we had a short cut through the parking lot to the Bus Stop. Our rooms were very clean and quiet. It was great having two connecting rooms during DS’s nap time and when he went to bed before us. Of course we were always so tired, we usually slept when he did! Once we were in the room, DH took DS to play on the playground and explore while mom and I did some unpacking and organizing.

Soon, the three of them went to eat lunch in the POP food court but I stayed behind to do a few more things (I am a self-proclaimed over organizer). I knew I should probably stop to go eat, but I was having some anxiety about eating... remember, I had not eaten anything I hadn’t prepared personally since my food allergy diagnosis 6 months prior to the trip. I had brought plenty of homemade snacks so I munched on those and got DS’ stuff all ready for his naptime when he returned. I got the “don’t make us worry about you” looks from my mom and DH but they knew I’d have to eat eventually so they let it go. After they got back, DS settled nicely into a nap and so did mom and I! I think DH went down to check out the arcade (he goes to an arcade precisely once a year- and that is when he has the free voucher when we are at POP! :rotfl:) and get a drink in his refillable mug. After the nap, it was time to head to Downtown Disney!

Woohoo, first bus ride of the trip! :cool1: I always love it when I hear, “Sit back, relax and let us do the driving” for the first time. Isn’t it funny what little things make you excited? DS was once again loving getting to have a little freedom on the bus. It was a little chilly on the bus so he was rocking out his Mickey Ears jacket that my mom bought him back at home.

At DTD, we decided to have dinner at Earl of Sandwich. This was a bit hard for me because I LOVED this gluten-filled sandwich haven before I gave up wheat and knew that I would be very limited on what I would be able to eat. I knew that my chances of getting really good allergy info was probably slim since it wasn’t a Disney owned place. The place was packed but a manager was able to help me see that the bacon and some fruit was safe for me, so that is what I got... some bacon and fruit. I wasn’t feeling too good at this point (my own fault for waiting so long to eat), I was tired from only sleeping 3 hours the night before and I was suddenly fearful that I was going to starve to death over the next 10 days. BUT, I had no idea yet how completely opposite I would feel by just the next day! Everyone else really enjoyed their meal and my bacon WAS good (it’s bacon- of course it is good!) and I think we all felt better with a bit of food in our tummies. DS was begging to go see the displays in the windows of World of Disney so DH looked at me and said, “I’ve got him, GO.” He knew I had one thing on my mind. BABYCAKES! :yay:

Now, I know some people think their food is dry and aren’t all that impressed. But you gotta understand... for a girl who can’t have dairy, gluten, soy, peanuts, eggs, flax seed and a WHOLE lot of other stuff, just the fact that there is SOMETHING someone else made that is safe for you and won’t leave you in terrible stomach pain for days or give you a severe anxiety attack is basically the same as the sky opening up and hearing the “Hallelujah Chorus” (or the Wishes soundtrack which is pretty much the same in my book ;)). I had really done my research about this place and I felt pretty confident that I was going to be pretty safe in theory, but the only true test was to try some stuff out. Both my mom and I avoid processed sugar at all costs (she had just recently reversed her diabetes through diet and is very disciplined in avoiding carbs) so we were thrilled that all of their stuff is sweetened with agave which is a lower glycemic sweetener. Sure, I wouldn’t say it is healthy but it is a better alternative. We both asked lots of questions and decided to order some brownie bites and some chocolate chip cookies. Now it was the moment of truth. I knew these next bites were going to decide if I got many desserts on this trip or not since many of the TS chefs I spoke with said they only could give me fruit as dessert... and the verdict was... PERFECTION!!! I think I may have shed a tear and I probably got waaaaay more excited about a dessert than anyone ever should but I was in Disney and I just ate a yummy, chocolately, allergy-free treat! For DH and I, Disney had always been partly about enjoying the food, at least when it didn’t make me sick (that’s the problem with undiagnosed allergies- you eat whatever you want but it is always a risk: “Will this make me miserable???”). There was a little glimmer of hope in my heart that maybe Disney could once again be about the food for me, just in a new way (spoiler alert: THE GLIMMER WAS RIGHT, but more on that later). I had intended to take pics of my Babycakes items but I was too busy scarfing them down. My mom loved hers but had much more restraint and just ate about 1/4 of her cookie. She was one determined lady when it came to sticking to her usual eating habits!

We met back up with DH and DS who were having a great time in the shops. DS loves Duffy Bear because two people (ahem.... that would be his mommy and daddy) bought into the whole Duffy merchandising scheme a few years back and got him one to sleep with.

We soon headed back to POP for a decent bed time so we would be up and ready the next day for our first full day at the Magic Kingdom! This picture sums up a long but very fun day!

After DS fell asleep, my mom went into protective mode :) and talked me into going to get more of an actual dinner at the POP food court. DH stayed behind and went to bed. As instructed, I went to a food station and asked for a manager. A very nice chef came out and looked over my allergy card (I had lots of small cards made up with all of my allergies on it so chefs wouldn’t have to remember). He asked what I was thinking I would like and we settled on a spinach salad (I had ordered small packets of the only dressing I know of that I can eat to bring with me) and a bacon cheeseburger... he was convinced he had a bun I could eat but I was not. The chef I spoke with a few weeks back had told me there would be no more Ener-G brand breads (the only safe brand I have found) on property and the ones they were now receiving had egg in them. The chef said to give him some time and if he couldn’t find it he would just bring it out bunless. I was up for whatever. 35 minutes later my buzzer went off and I walked up to find a hamburger ON A BUN! Woohoo! :worship: I hadn’t had any bread since before I gave up gluten 9 months before the trip. the chef said it was ENER-G brand and that he had called around to get it for me. I was tired (it was almost 11 PM and I had been up since 4 AM Florida time) but I could’ve danced a little dance. I thanked the chef and no joke INHALED that dinner. From this point on, I did take lots of food pics but I was too excited or something because I forgot again. My mom said she had never seen me eat so fast and it had been years since she saw me eat so much at one sitting. I was one happy and full girl! We headed back to our room and were in bed by about midnight.

The next posts will have more pictures! We sort of slacked off that first day. I blame it on the excitement and lack of sleep! :crazy2:

DH here! So great to remember that day! This whole vacation was amazing!!! I can't wait to remember the rest of this trip. Thanks for doing this DW!

OK, you had me at the ear hats... Year of a Million Dreams!!!

Plus, I can't wait to watch your mom get "Disney-fied"...

I love that you all got on your Mickey ears for the trip. And WOW that's a big clock...

Welcome! Thanks for joining in!

DH here! So great to remember that day! This whole vacation was amazing!!! I can't wait to remember the rest of this trip. Thanks for doing this DW!

It is a good way to pass the time until the next trip!

Following along!! :)

Yay! Welcome!

OK, you had me at the ear hats... Year of a Million Dreams!!!

Plus, I can't wait to watch your mom get "Disney-fied"...

I love that you all got on your Mickey ears for the trip. And WOW that's a big clock...

Hi, there! We got lots of pixie dust during the year of a million dreams... maybe not a million dreams worth but it was fun anyway! Yes, mom will definitely be won over! And lol about the clock... everyone who sees it says that! :rotfl:

I'm joining in on this one. I too have major food allergies and have to watch what I eat while in Disney. I also get to carry around those wonderful Epi-Pen's with me too and a bottle of benadryl. :) I've never been to Babycakes but am looking forward to trying it this go round. I can eat wheat but have to watch how much of it I eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter