My 9 year old was attacked by a dog (totally unprovokd) this week!!

That's too bad. I do wish that everyone would obey leash laws.

This neighbor's dog ("mid-sized yippy poodle-type" was how animal control pegged him) was on a leash, but broke away from its owner----8 kids were playing outside together but he narrowed in on my child and just tore after him, clamped down on his back thigh and wouldn't let go. The bruises are unreal---I know dogs are unpredictable and so on, but I came to find out after this that the dog has bitten children before---so it's hard to understand why a person would even walk the dog (she has a huge fenced yard), let alone allow it near any children. :confused3

This neighbor's dog ("mid-sized yippy poodle-type" was how animal control pegged him) was on a leash, but broke away from its owner----8 kids were playing outside together but he narrowed in on my child and just tore after him, clamped down on his back thigh and wouldn't let go. The bruises are unreal---I know dogs are unpredictable and so on, but I came to find out after this that the dog has bitten children before---so it's hard to understand why a person would even walk the dog (she has a huge fenced yard), let alone allow it near any children. :confused3

I am a huge dog lover, and am repeatedly saddened by how many dog owners seem oblivious to their responsibilities. I am reminded of Aunt Sarah in "Lady and the Tramp" seeing her two plotting Siamese as victims...if you please...

Thanks so much!!!! We are grateful it wasn't any worse than it was, but it is a reminder that people can be in denial about things like this----I am upset with the owner---I mean, I love dogs, too, but I love children more...if I had a dog that bit a child, I'd feel totally devestated even if the bite were provoked and I'd probably put it down (also devestating) if I couldn't come up with another 100% secure alternative.

People shoul be given an iq test before they can own dogs.

What did the owner do? Did they offer to pay medical expenses? That's the least the could do.

My old nebors dogs used to atack thing where a used to live he wnet to this little farm and killed a lamma

Forgot to add---the owner is very invovled w/ the SPCA?! I know it is a dog's instinct to chase things that run, but this was a dog who got out of her control---and was not just chasing---- he ran 30 yards to get at my son and if my son hadn't been wearing a thick bathing suit, this would have been much worse---there was blood---for three days, his wounds bled, so I am at a loss as to why she put herself and the dog and the kids in this situation. OKay I am done---thanks for letting me vent!!

Gosh...that sounds horrible. What did the doctor say after looking at? It appears you called animal control? Did they fine the woman?

Oops one of my posts didn't post here---I must have been logged off? Sorry----as luck would have it, one of the adults who witnessed this is a surgeon and he was very helpful; still, I followed up w/ our ped. and she said it was a nasty bite (but could have been much worse) and could become infected so she put my son on an antibiotic---which, I have to add, my son has had way too many of---13 rounds of an antibiotic in one year b/c of strep (!), so it just killed me to have to put him on yet another.

More about the owner---she was very upset and shaken---I had to spend several minutes on my front steps trying to take care of her while I was also still trying to attend to my son--frankly, this was annoying to me! I finally told her I had to go take care of my son and we'd talk later. She said, "Those children are always running around...." TRUE. DUH?!! What does she want them to do, sit inside and play video games? She did add that this was no excuse for what the dog did and, well...ITA!

My son is still limping, but he is very worried about the dog (who was taken by animal control and put into quarantine for ten days and after this they'll need to prove he is healthy)---in the doc's opffice, he picked out a sticker at the end and laughed, "I picked out a Pluto sticker because I still love dogs!"

The owner will pay medical bills she said.

I hope the owner learned a lesson from this. Sounds like everything is being handled properly.

Hope your son heals quickly!

I hope the owner learned a lesson from this. Sounds like everything is being handled properly.

Hope your son heals quickly!

Thanks again, Mindy and all. I've convinced myself we now need to plan a new trip to Disney World to get through this little ordeal! ;)

How scary. I hope he gets better fast and Disney sounds like a great get better treat!

I know I am going to get flamed for this and I love animals more then the next guy, but if any animal (dog, cat, mouse, rat or whatever) were to attack my child, as soon as my child was attended to medically, that animal would cease to exist very shortly thereafter.

If it attacks once, it will do it again.

Flame on.

I know I am going to get flamed for this and I love animals more then the next guy, but if any animal (dog, cat, mouse, rat or whatever) were to attack my child, as soon as my child was attended to medically, that animal would cease to exist very shortly thereafter.

If it attacks once, it will do it again.

Flame on.

This is not a flame, as my initial reaction would be to choke the dog with my bare hands until it moved no longer, but I blame the owner in these cases. A dog is just a dog, and does either what its instincts tell it, or what it was trained to do. If the owner refuses to train it, or restrain it, BOTH should be put to sleep (or at the very least, kept from ever owning a dog again). Because the owner will get another dog, it will likely be the same type, and behave the same way unless trained otherwise. An over-generalization, I know, but it happens way too often for the generalization to be without merit.

This is not a flame, as my initial reaction would be to choke the dog with my bare hands until it moved no longer, but I blame the owner in these cases. A dog is just a dog, and does either what its instincts tell it, or what it was trained to do. If the owner refuses to train it, or restrain it, BOTH should be put to sleep (or at the very least, kept from ever owning a dog again). Because the owner will get another dog, it will likely be the same type, and behave the same way unless trained otherwise. An over-generalization, I know, but it happens way too often for the generalization to be without merit.

I don't disagree and the owner would get a cussing that would make a sailor blush as well, but the animal would never attack again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter