• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My 6-day moderate budget trip -- how'd I do?

zoey452

Earning My Ears
Here's how my expenses have stacked up so far for my spring escape to WDW. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to save more money or increase value. Kudos appreciated as well!
I'm leaving in a week and have shopped around extensively, trying to get the best deals and best value for what I want which was to stay at least 3 nites in the Epcot area. A tough challenge on a budget!

Airfare from cincinnati: $160 roundtrip incl. tax on USAir, purchased through hotwire.com. My departing flight is at 6 am! :o And I have one connection each way. But the other flight times are good.

Hotel: Hilton WDW for first three nites @$61/nite ($76/nite with tax and resort fee)
through Priceline. First time I've tried Priceline! I did a lot of research first at biddingfortravel.com. I would have preferred to stay on site, and always have before, but I wanted an Epcot resort for the final three nites and I had to bring the total hotel cost down somehow. The Hilton is a nice alternative to All Stars, I hope. :) Also, I wanted a gym available.

Final three nites: Swan at $169 Entertainment rate ($196 w/tax and resort fee) booked through DIS. I first booked Beach Club at the Passholder rate of $244, but I didn't really want to buy an annual pass. And I wanted to pay much less. So I kept researching, at mousesavers.com and on this Budget board. I did check the Swan & Dolphin rates at DIS several times, but there were no discounted rooms available. Finally, two days ago I checked again, and found that discounted rooms had become available. Yipppeee!

By the way, I could have stayed at a moderate resort for $154/incl. tax with AAA discount, which would have been $150 more than the hotels I finally did book. And I get to stay at a Epcot hotel.

Tickets: I'm going with the 5-day Hopper Plus. $261.84

Food Budget: $30/day. (I don't do big restaurant meals). I'm bringing along some snacks, energy bars, etc. and will eat fruit. Also, I always travel with my hand blender and some packets of protein meal replacements for breakfast before or after my morning workout.

Misc: Mears shuttle: $35 round trip?

Total for 6-day Escape
Air: $ 160
Hilton 228
Swan 588
Hopper 261
meals 180
shuttle 35
aiport pkig 36

Looks like you must be getting your ticket through Maple Leaf. I spoke with Omar there yesterday, and he let me know that he now has the 5 day with 4 plus visits. Make sure that's the one you get.

Sounds like a great deal so far!

Have fun. I'm planning for August.

Maple Leaf Visitors Info Center
4647 West Hwy. US 192
Located Between Hwy. Mile Markers 13-14
Kissimmee, FL 34746
(407)396-0300
(407)396-4127 Fax
Toll Free 1-800-841-2837

Talked to Omar there yesterday. He's very helpful, and he says he'll meet any price I find. He emailed me his rack prices, and they are the best around overall. No more than a dollar or two off the best I've found after searching all the sites I could find.

Good luck.

Zoey - I think you've done a GREAT job of keeping costs down! I especially commend you on the super deals you got with Priceline and Hotwire! If you haven't already purchased your 5-day PHP, I would stick with buying it directly from Disney - either at the airport Disney Store, your hotel, Downtown Disney, or at a theme park. The Mears shuttle is $28 roundtrip.

One suggestion...go to www.spg.com to become a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest program. If you give the Swan front desk your Starwood number when you check in, it could help you get an upgrade. You will also get Starwood points for your hotel and restaurant charges that can be used for future free nights, upgrades, airline miles, etc. Have a wonderful trip! :)

I've been able to convince my sister to take the trip with me and share the room.
New budget
$1052! Much better! :Pinkbounc

Just a thought if you have the opportunity to go Walmart in Kissimee they have a 5day +2 for $249.10. I'm not sure if this is a better price or not because you didn't state the price you got but I just thought I would offer my 2 cents worth :) Have a great trip we leave for a 4 nite disney cruise & 6 nites ALL ST MOV on Sept 13th & can't wait have a BLAST & HAPPY DISNEY :):Pinkbounc

Can someone please explain about the passes you are talking about??? Are you referrering to the Hopper Passes for WDW? You can buy them at Walmart, lol??? and Plus what??? does that mean you get extra days, do you have to do something for these passes, like dance the chicken dance in the street, sing for strangers or god forbid....TIMESHARE viewing??? loll

THANKS!

Walmart in Kissimee has the largest Disney store in the Company along with a huge discount travel center in the front of the building. This pass is for 5 hopper days at the parks & the 2 plus options are for water parks WW of Sports or pleasure island. They also have excellent discounts on Universal Studios & Sea World ect. Happy Disney :)

I can't believe you found a flight out of Cincy for 160.00!! I have been watching
for a good deal but haven't found one. I did find a flight on Orbits.com for 194 pp/rt. But it's
on USairways and I'm a little afraid of flying on those little planes. Not to mention that
my husband and I are very tall and the leg room would be HORRIBLE. But the alternative is
paying $100 more per ticket or drive to Indy or Louisville.
I hope you have a wonderful trip.

wow! Your flight from Cincy is really cheap! Good job! So glad your sister is able to share expenses! I wish I could see mine more!

The little planes ARE cramped but you only have to do one leg, then from Charlotte to MCO it's fine!
Bummer, my sister decided not to go after all! I thought about doing Priceline for my last three days, but then decided, what the heck! I'm staying at the Swan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter