MVMCP -- what're the perks?

disneykate28

Mouseketeer
I am really on the fence about whether or not to buy tickets to the Christmas party. My oldest will be a few months shy of 4, and she typically goes to bed around 7:30, though she can rally when there's something fun to stay awake for.

My main reasons for wanting to go are the parade, snow on Main Street, the Frozen show, and fireworks. If we *don't* book the party, will we be able to see any of those things during a non-party night? I know we won't see the parade (we leave 12.21), but how about the others? She wasn't a huge character fan when we were there this past summer, so the meet and greets aren't a big deal to us, nor are the rides since we have other park time scheduled.

So torn! On the one hand, the magic is so real to her right now and the party offers lots of fun stuff. On the other hand, we could definitely use that $300+ for other things!

The party is basically:

the xmas parade (you've seen it on tv), a different holiday themed show (in addition to the frozen castle lighting). A holiday version of wishes (which you can watch from outside the park if you wanted to see it afar). Also there is some treats spread around, usually in the form of a holiday cookie and some related beverage like apple cider, hot chocolate, etc which is included in price so you can just bounce from cookie spot to cookie spot as you go around for snacks. There is some merch and treats only sold during the parties as well...

If you have never done it, and your coming for the holidays, I would do it once. Is it worth the price? eh, I think the halloween one is a better deal but last year it got to the point I said it might be too much money. If this is your first holiday trip and you may not come back for awhile because your childs school schedule might interfere in the near future so get the most out of the holiday offerings available around disney.

I've never regretting going but I also have been there to know when the price is on the edge of "maybe not this year".

I'm opting in this year (party of 6) but it'll be a first for me so ask me again after.

I went to MVMCP when my daughter was 4 and we loved it but I also chose to go in with realistic expectations.

She enjoyed seeing the snow on Main Street, enjoyed hot chocolate and cookies and met a couple of characters but not much other than that. I did - but she slept. If your DD is a child who will fall asleep in her stroller, ask yourself if you'll be okay enjoying the party knowing she may miss most of it. We went 2 different years and my DD slept through the parade and fireworks both times. I went to the dance party and held her while enjoying the kids around me have fun. I enjoyed the Castle show too.

If it were me, I would ask myself if I was okay spending that kind of money knowing she may miss some/all of the party and is that okay with you?

Both times that we went we were visiting my parents in FL so were not going to Disney other than for the party. That made it okay for me to pay the money for the party and allow her to enjoy as much of it as she could before she fell asleep. We always arrived at 4:00 to make the most of her awake time. She still talks about the hot chocolate and cookies as hey at 4, those are great treats and memories!

I'm glad we did it but if I were going to Disney for a trip during the party dates I would seriously consider if adding MVMCP was a way I wanted to spend our money. We're going to Disney in September and I'm choosing not to go to MNSSHP purely because I don't think it offers enough extras for us to justify the additional costs. In another year when she's that much older and can stay awake longer I might reconsider though.

(I have been 6x) My vote is to wait until your daughter is older. The cocoa is a watery mix and the cookies are straight out of the box. You may have lower crowds OR it can be PACKED and miserable. The $300 can be well spent on something else. YMMV.

I regret spending the money. The parade took too long, we did get on a few rides, it started to rain, and my kids got tired by 9:30. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't worth the nearly 400$ we spent. I'd consider it again if I were going solo or if my sons could happily stay up to 11pm and there were tickets available day-of and I knew the weather would hold. Really only then.

I started taking my DS to the parties when he was 4. He had more stamina then than he does now at almost 7! Hard to keep him from blowing all his energy earlier in the day now, like at the pool, than it was then!

We very much enjoy the parties but one of our primary motivations is the lower ride wait times so you could argue if that's worth the money paid. We do enjoy the holiday fireworks show very much. We'll watch the parade a few people deep - no way I'm sitting around waiting for a spot. I also enjoy the "something different" element to it.

I go at his pace and go with the flow. If he's fading, we call it a night. If he's going strong, we'll keep going. I'm content with either and manage my expectations going in.

I do agree you should try the parties at least once just to try it.

Best of luck planning!

We enjoyed this a few years ago on our last visit. NEW fantasyland had just opened and DD17 (then) + her boyfriend got some good pics with all the dwarfs. The crowd is obviously smaller than normal so queue lines are short. Mvmcp was on our arrival day, so it sparked the Christmas spirit, and provided a great Disney start for all of us for the week. We will do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter