MVMCP - is this normal?

jthelman

Earning My Ears
We went to the MVMCP on 12/3.

I feel like I need to shake Mickey's hand because he absolutely pulled one of the best con games on me ever.

We paid $50 a head * 5 people, and couldn't run from the park fast enough.

The crowds were so thick you couldn't move. Forget the rides - Space Mountain was a 50 minute line.

Although the parade was nice, I thought that MVMCP was a waste of money --- they probably sold 4x too many tickets.

Anyone else feel this wasn't worth the $$$? Are all of these a crowd nightmare, or did we just get caught in the wrong party?

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. :eek:

We went to the Halloween party on Oct 22, and had the best time ever. When we walked into space mountain later in the night, there was NOBODY in the que. It was the strangest sight ever!

Sounds like you got caught in a sold out situation (or very close to it). Sell out parties can be that crowded. I remember the last sold out party I went to (a couple years ago) I watched Wishes from the hub, and then literally stood there for 20 minutes in one spot (and it felt a lot longer) before I could move in any direction. I felt so bad for kids in strollers and people in wheelchairs, because they were just being crushed. It was awful.

That being said, I've been the past couple years to non sell out parties, and they are great. If you can go when the parties start in November, those are the absolute best.

I've decided to skip it this year and focus on Epcot and DHS instead (I spent my "party" budget on MNSSHP this year).

In my opinion, it's become the norm. I think you "can" get lucky by going on a night they didn't sell as many tickets, but it's hit and miss.
I don't believe they limit the tickets enough to make it an enjoyable evening. Not by a long shot. It's misleading and false advertising, since they do tell you how uncrowded it will be.
There are a lot of threads on the board right now discussing this.
I know we will never go again, my experience was just like yours.
Oh and we went Thursday November 11th. I thought for sure it wouldn't be packed. I was wrong.

Happens all the time, there are less crowded nights, but trying to find them is about as easy to predict as predicting the lottery.We didn't do this last year, but my SIL did and she was so sorry and regretted the $200+ she spent.I was stunned how crowded the Mk was last year during that last week of parties.It was LESS crowded during the day than when 4pm hit and all the party guests came.It was GRIDLOCK trying to get out at 7pm, and the line of people trying to get in was crazy.It used to be much more limited in ticket sales.Now they sell about 20,000 tickets.But when all 20,000 people are trying to do the same couple of things it is insane

I feel like I need to shake Mickey's hand because he absolutely pulled one of the best con games on me ever.

The crowds were so thick you couldn't move. Forget the rides - Space Mountain was a 50 minute line.

Although the parade was nice, I thought that MVMCP was a waste of money --- they probably sold 4x too many tickets.

Anyone else feel this wasn't worth the $$$? Are all of these a crowd nightmare, or did we just get caught in the wrong party?

I have recommend many times on this board to people who ask about MVMCP to skip it. It's just not worth going to especially if your staying for a week or so and going during the day.

we went to the Nov 30 party and it was PACKED. If we hadn't had a 5 yr old who loved dancing at the parties, it would have been the hugest waste. We did enjoy the parade so we don't feel it was a total bomb but i probably will never go again. The park was so much less crowded the next day. It was about as crowded on the party night as it was yesterday.

We had the exact opposite experience. NO lines... DH and DDs did Space Mountain like five times in a row! We were able to do ALL the rides that had long lines during the day. It was not crowded at all. So I guess it just depends on which night you go - maybe being a Friday night made it busier. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

My mother, sister, 2 nieces and I were at the Nov. 30 party and I didn't think the crowds were bad at all. I didn't expect the park to be empty but maybe because we were focused on young kids rides/activities we lucked out. We walked on to the teacups 2x, thanks to advantageous, yet random stroller parking during dinner the girls had a front row seat for the 815 parade with no waiting. The girls were able to see the princesses and princes and the fairies with short waits and my youngest niece and I had a boat all to ourselves on IASW with the boat in front and behind us empty. That kinda made me nervous, as I have a fear of being trapped in that ride but we really enjoyed the night and it was one of the highlights of the trip.

We were at the 11/30 party and it was SUPER PACKED.(Compared to previous parties I've attended.) We did the fire works, parade, and Castle and Tomorrowland stage shows and then left. It was my 3rd MVMCP and I think it will be my last. I'm pretty sure the 12/3 party was sold out. Thought I saw a sign to that effect at City Hall.

We went to the November 28th party which ended up being sold out and had the same experience.

It is a waste of time for over $50 a person, they offer the same parade and fireworks over Christmas week for free.

We do make a special trip each year for MNSSHP, the parade and costumes are fantastic.

The 12/3 MVMCP was sold out. We were at MK in the am and it was the busiest we had had seen it all week. The taping on Main street made it difficult to get around. As we left the park we were wishing good luck to people staying for the party.

We attended the 11/30 party and were pretty disappointed too (maybe it was the warm weather before the cold coming). The park was the busiest of any during our week stay (tied with 12/3). However we were able to go on BTRR 3 x without a wait and a few other rides. We were able to meet Tiana with a short wait but by then other lines were <20 minutes. Guess we should have tried the princesses and princes like I wanted too. ;) The parade was nice and the fireworks were awesome. I was surprised the 2nd parade was very full. Overall, I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think we'll do it again. :sad2:

Yes, it is the norm.

MVMCP is not worth the extra $50+ they charge per person.

We have done it once, back in 2006 and will not be doing it again. It was absolutely a waste of money for us.

Ugh, we go to this next Sunday a week from today. I'm a little worried now based on all the overcrowded posts. Sigh.....:scared1:

We attended on 12/2 and I was surprised how crowded it was. The ride wait weren't too bad. We never got on Peter Pan because it was 20 minutes all night. I think we got our money's worth because we entered at 4pm, rode rides, saw the shows, fireworks and parade. We also enjoyed the cookies and hot chocolate. All in all okay!

I agree that I think they sell more tickets than they use to. It is no longer those small parties of 5,000 people. Too crowded for us too.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. :eek:

We went to the Halloween party on Oct 22, and had the best time ever. When we walked into space mountain later in the night, there was NOBODY in the que. It was the strangest sight ever!

We were at NSSHP on Oct 19th this year and it was the exact same on Space Mountain, Big Thunder RR, Splash Mountain, PoTC, Haunted Mansion etc.

I think the OP just went on a crazy crowded night :(

The time we had at NSSHP was the main reason we booked WDW for next year the day we got home :)

If you're looking for shorter lines for rides, and less crowding, the parties are best if you go on a weekday. On Friday nights they can get crowded. Also, on the holidays themselves (Halloween night usually sells out for that party no matter what day of the week it falls on).

It does sometimes happen that weekdays are busy, too, but it's hard to predict which ones (avoid national holidays for sure)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter