Music Spinoff: Albums

Cassette tapes came out when I was quite young. I had 2 albums, Quiet Riot and Def Leppard. After those 2 first albums when I got my first "stereo" setup, it was all cassette until CDs became common.

I started out with Pink Floyd The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon on cassette, then picked them up on CD when they came about. Bought the box set which was everything except The Final Cut. Then started to acquire any Floyd CD I could find in gold CD. I've since lost them and most of my CDs in a vehicle break-in.

If I had the extra cash to toss around, I would probably enjoy getting a turntable and vinyl and collect albums. I don't have the place to enjoy listening to them however because of not being in a well built house without people sleeping a few feet away in their not well build structure.

I don't play music, I listen to music. I don't have it on in the background, I specifically sit down and listen to entire albums doing nothing buy listening to entire albums. I think I would enjoy a music collection on vinyl. Just don't have the place to do it, or extra cash that I want to spend on it.

but at least it doesn't have commercials and you don't lose coverage as you travel.
That's funny, but at least you stated "travel". I can't listen to Spotify locally, as in when I drop the kids off at home and drive back to my place because I'm locked out waiting for a signal to do anything. I forget to set Spotify up for myself on WIFI while dropping her off after bringing her home from school for the weekend. I jump back in the car, plug the phone in, and start pulling out. Driving down the road out to the main road, I flip on Android Auto and I'm stuck for 15-20 minutes listening to the same dang Taylor Swift song she had playing when we arrived, LOL.

That's only Spotify. Whether it's Waze or Google maps, those work perfectly fine. Spotify needs a signal and gets all screwed up even if I switch it to "offline" to play the downloaded albums I have on my phone. I have to switch it offline while still in the house and the phone is still connected to WIFI.

I probably have 200+ record albums, but haven’t listened to them in years. Have a working turntable, stored away, that I really should take out and hook up some day, so we can use again. When CDs came out, I started buying them, but never wanted to duplicate what I had on vinyl. Still have many of those too and still listen to them from time to time on a player that holds 5 discs.

I had an 8 track player in my very first car; only had a few tapes and got rid of them long ago. Also had some cassettes, not a lot, and some of those were homemade mix tapes recorded from the albums. Mostly played them in the car or on a portable boom-box style radio.

Oh and I also have a box of my old 45s. LOL, I think the first one I got was “Easy Come, Easy Go”, by Bobby Sherman.:flower:

That's funny, but at least you stated "travel". I can't listen to Spotify locally, as in when I drop the kids off at home and drive back to my place because I'm locked out waiting for a signal to do anything. I forget to set Spotify up for myself on WIFI while dropping her off after bringing her home from school for the weekend. I jump back in the car, plug the phone in, and start pulling out. Driving down the road out to the main road, I flip on Android Auto and I'm stuck for 15-20 minutes listening to the same dang Taylor Swift song she had playing when we arrived, LOL.

That's only Spotify. Whether it's Waze or Google maps, those work perfectly fine. Spotify needs a signal and gets all screwed up even if I switch it to "offline" to play the downloaded albums I have on my phone. I have to switch it offline while still in the house and the phone is still connected to WIFI.

I had that problem too at first, and I don't really remember what I did to fix it or if it just went away somehow. Cell signal in my area is in and out because we're close enough to the Canadian border that sometimes the phone latches on to a "foreign" tower and kicks me offline (my plan has call & text coverage for Canada, but no data). And for a while, I had problems where I couldn't tell Spotify to work offline unless I was online when I did it, but that hasn't happened in years and I couldn't even tell you if I changed something in the settings or if an app update just made it work better.

My very first album, 1957. So many classic songs on one album. I miss the pictures and liner notes of the past.

s-l500.jpg

little-richard-heres-little-richard-back-cover-vintage-vinyl-record-cover-2GRXBD2.jpg

Last edited:
The first 2 albums I pulled out to listen to when I first started using the turntable were Band on the Run and Wings Greatest. I especially enjoyed unplugging the power and turning the platter myself for fun (or scary) sound effects.

I used to have about 3 times as many records as I do now but pared it down to my most favorites. Keeps me in check and I only give myself one shelf to fill.

20230329_202413.jpg

My 2 latest purchases were from a local flea market a few weeks ago:

images.jpeg
download.jpeg

Vinyl does have a legit use. That use is for early things such that a CD would expose severe limitations in the source recording. Otherwise there is no reason to have it unless you just like the artwork.

WHAT?? No 8 tracks?? 😳 How’d you miss that?? :lmao:

I still have a turntable as part of my Technics stereo system (that we mostly use for the TV), but I sold all my vinyl albums - and I had a lot - to a DJ at a yard sale. I miss the thought of them, but realistically, I don’t really miss them.

I have Spotify with Bluetooth speakers and headphones and I really enjoy the ease and convenience of that.
8 tracks. HAHA.

And she's buy (static... Click Static...) ing a stairway to heaven.....

I had that problem too at first, and I don't really remember what I did to fix it or if it just went away somehow. Cell signal in my area is in and out because we're close enough to the Canadian border that sometimes the phone latches on to a "foreign" tower and kicks me offline (my plan has call & text coverage for Canada, but no data). And for a while, I had problems where I couldn't tell Spotify to work offline unless I was online when I did it, but that hasn't happened in years and I couldn't even tell you if I changed something in the settings or if an app update just made it work better.
Off topic, but when we were in Canada on bicycles we never thought of our phones not working in Canada. When we got to the ferry to cross back to NY, the ferry was down stuck on the US side and we were stuck there for 7 hours waiting. We tried to see if we could get help so we were all literally hanging off the dock reaching out over the water trying to get connection to the US cell towers we could see, LOL. We did get contacts, but no one could cross the line in the water. Their suggestions were all, there's a bridge 40 km to the north, which would put us at additional 50 miles of riding to get back to the point where we had 50 miles to get to the camp site. Wish I got a picture of us hanging off the dock trying to connect to the towers on the US side.

If we're talking depth and clarity I would take digital FLAC file format. I don't collect vinyl for a superior sound quality. It's for a type of sound as well as the tangible quality of the album, watching the needle in the groove, taking time to slow down and pay attention, and of course nostalgia.

I don't have record player and gave my vinyl to my brother but I still will listen to particular albums in order on Spotify especially ones below.

Utopia Parkway by Fountains of Wayne
Mr Hood by KMD
The Wall by Floyd
Quadophina by the WHo
Ziggy Stardust by Bowie
3 Feet High and Rising by De La Soul (Thank God its finally on Spotify)
Pet Sounds Beach Boys
Sgt Peppers Beatles

There might be some others but the above are ones I almost always do in order and do not like in scatter mode.

Last edited:
I do not listen to albums myself. I never owned any in fact. I will however listen to entire "albums" on Spotify as they were originally intended to be heard (for example one does not simply pick random Meatloaf tracks and play them out of order).

I would LOVE to find my Mom's vinyl collection. It would be worth buying a turntable to play that Elvis stuff on vinyl.

I do not listen to albums myself. I never owned any in fact. I will however listen to entire "albums" on Spotify as they were originally intended to be heard (for example one does not simply pick random Meatloaf tracks and play them out of order).

I would LOVE to find my Mom's vinyl collection. It would be worth buying a turntable to play that Elvis stuff on vinyl.

Oh my gosh I hadn't thought about the Meatloaf thing in years.
I purposely listen to side 2 first when I play some albums,
as I want my brain to listen "honestly" w/out the auto-play
of the next track starting in my brain when it hears the last note of the track before.
Any record producer (does anyone still say "record?) that reads that
will likely let out a whimper, as I just negated all of their hard work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter