Moving to Florida assistance thread.

I have no idea where there is a karaoke bar but according to the BW3 site the closest one is at 12511 State Route 535. Use Bing or Google for directions.

Their Phone number is 407-827-0444

Its across 535 from Downtown Disney. Near where Goodings is. And TGIFridays

insert, "Well I Could Have Done That" // . smartalec . com / smirk!!

very funny Dpuck, stupid questions make awesome thread bumps, thats why i asked:rotfl:

insert, "Well I Could Have Done That" // . smartalec . com / smirk!!

very funny Dpuck, stupid questions make awesome thread bumps, thats why i asked:rotfl:

But how cool is that site though :) I've been itch'en to use it on the boards.

Seems like the only reason you want to move to central Florida is because of the parks. Let me tell you a few things about Orlando/Kissimmee area. There are very bad areas in and around the parks. There is a major road called OBT that is home to many prostitutes, drug dealers and gang members. Also, the idea of the theme parks right around the corner seems like a great idea but you will begin to really hate the tourists who come here. The traffic is killer at all times near the parks. I am so jealous of you because you are so close to the mountains. Summer in Orlando is so nasty. There is no ocean breeze and it's very humid. I would think long and hard before moving to Florida. You do not have that picturesque view in Orlando like you do in Colorado.

I guess it might be as bad as living in Miami? Why live in Florida at all. Espeicailly if one can afford to move away?

DH just got offered a job in Naples!!! After dealing with snow and ice in the past several days up here in Vermont, I'm so ready to head south. He got a great offer with excellent benefits; we're so happy! I have to stay here to finish my teaching contract through June 12th and sell the house but he's heading down as soon as he gives notice and finds a place to rent!!! Crazy!!! We're working out the logistics now, which is stressful, but so exciting! :goodvibes

lucigo said:
We are moving to the area because my husband got a job there, and couldn't get one here. He is already down there, I'm finishing out the school year here. Lots of bad stuff about OBT so I have to ask, those of you in the area, what do you think of the Hunter's creek area? Because I'm pretty sure OBT runs through it, but I heard it was a nice place and from what we saw over the weekend it looked nice, and its a close commute for DH.

Hunter's Creek is a really nice area. And not all of OBT is bad. It's a pretty long road. But the only real trouble part runs but so far. I'd say that from the Florida Mall, and going north some; that's the real iffy area. Hunter's Creek is well south of that. So no major issues there.

SrisonS said:
Hunter's Creek is a really nice area. And not all of OBT is bad. It's a pretty long road. But the only real trouble part runs but so far. I'd say that from the Florida Mall, and going north some; that's the real iffy area. Hunter's Creek is well south of that. So no major issues there.

Thanks, this post was a few years old, funny how things change. We ended up moving to Virginia instead of Orlando, but my oldest still went down there, went to UFC and now lives and works downtown. Guess everything happens for a reason. Hope we will be back in Florida someday!

lucigo said:
Thanks, this post was a few years old, funny how things change. We ended up moving to Virginia instead of Orlando, but my oldest still went down there, went to UFC and now lives and works downtown. Guess everything happens for a reason. Hope we will be back in Florida someday!

Lol!!! I didn't even notice that. VA is nice though. I'm originally from VA Beach.

I was amazed to see this thread back on front page when i logged on today!!
We are officially moving down, probably to Clermont in 957 days. August 4th, 2015.!! So excited to be there..

PS, DAUGHTER WAS ACCEPTED TO STETSON LAW SCHOOL IN TAMPA WITH A SCHOLARSHIP!! she will be there this coming fall, she just graduated from KU. what a brainiac! are all girls smarter than boys?

I was amazed to see this thread back on front page when i logged on today!!
We are officially moving down, probably to Clermont in 957 days. August 4th, 2015.!! So excited to be there..

PS, DAUGHTER WAS ACCEPTED TO STETSON LAW SCHOOL IN TAMPA WITH A SCHOLARSHIP!! she will be there this coming fall, she just graduated from KU. what a brainiac! are all girls smarter than boys?

Yay!!! Congratulations on both fronts! I heard that Clermont is really nice! Good for your DD - that's awesome she'll be in Florida as well.

We just found an apartment in Naples that is only 5 minutes from DH's new work and it looks lovely. Luckily they accept dogs up to 60 pounds - that was our biggest concern. The realtor is coming on January 3rd to look at the house and we're in full preparation mode. Not telling them at work here for awhile, but our town is so small as soon as the for sale sign goes up in front of the house, I'll have to spill the beans. Hahahah! I have 99 more school days until the end of the year! :) So excited!

So happy I found this thread. We're researching the move now too -- I think we're 2 years out, but I passed up a job in FL already so you never know. Best to be prepared in case the right job comes up in the right area.

I'd rather wait til we sell our family business, since then I won't have to work -- I plan to volunteer. However, DH thinks he's the next great Jungle Cruise Skipper so that has complicated things somewhat as I hadn't planned to move to Orlando....just somewhere on the Gulf Coast that is an easy drive to WDW. And we're Canadian so getting a job there is very complicated -- I hate to rain on his parade but...:rolleyes1

Our only relative would be in Ft. Lauderdale. He thinks we should buy a house right away -- I'm leery but the prices are still extremely low compared to here. I'm pushing for a condo in a gated community no matter which town we settle in.

So an update on our move: DH started his job in Naples on Monday and LOVES IT. The company is wonderful and everyone seems really happy there. He's actually making more money than here in New England and the cost of living IS significantly less there. The first time he went to the grocery store he was floored at how much cheaper groceries were than here in Vermont. And don't let auto insurance scare you - ours went from $313 every six months for the Honday Odyssey to $366 and $308 for the Jeep Grand Cherokee to $371. That's nothing like the "you'll pay double for auto insurance" that everyone was telling us.

The apartment is really nice, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms 1200 square feet for 875 a month - cable and garbage pickup included. The entire complex is clean, well maintained and everyone is really friendly and helpful in the office. When I called Florida Power and Light to make sure our electric was being turned on, they were SUPER friendly and when she found out I was a teacher, the customer service rep said, "Oh, you're a teacher? Well thank you, keep up the great work." :lovestruc Everything has been really seamless and easy, much more so than we were anticipating.

I'm stuck here in Vermont until my teaching contract is up in June and while I sell the house - it's SUPER hard when I talk to him every night and he tells me how warm and pleasant it is down there!!! I'm heading down during our February and April breaks and I'm SURE I won't want to come back! LOL!

So, those of you contemplating going - research it like we did and then, if you want to make the jump, do it!

So far my research tells me that our mortgage plus utilities in Florida would cost less than I'm currently paying for heating oil. It's not like we will have tons of money -- but I could easily buy 10 houses with the price of my house here, and they would have new kitchens too :rotfl:

Naples looks like a great city -- we were looking at moving to that area, possibly Cape Coral because my DD liked what she saw on the school websites.

We're planning a 3 week trip for next year to see prospective jobs, houses and schools, starting at Key Largo and ending at Orlando with a few places in between.

So far my research tells me that our mortgage plus utilities in Florida would cost less than I'm currently paying for heating oil. It's not like we will have tons of money -- but I could easily buy 10 houses with the price of my house here, and they would have new kitchens too :rotfl:

Naples looks like a great city -- we were looking at moving to that area, possibly Cape Coral because my DD liked what she saw on the school websites.

We're planning a 3 week trip for next year to see prospective jobs, houses and schools, starting at Key Largo and ending at Orlando with a few places in between.

I hear you about the heating oil! It's ridiculously expensive here in Vermont too. Yes, the prices of houses compared to the Northeast (and I know in Canada as well - I'm from Montreal and the Eastern Townships in Quebec) is a huge difference. I really hope you find something that will work for you, it's nice to have a little time to plan everything. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on here!!!

I hear you about the heating oil! It's ridiculously expensive here in Vermont too. Yes, the prices of houses compared to the Northeast (and I know in Canada as well - I'm from Montreal and the Eastern Townships in Quebec) is a huge difference. I really hope you find something that will work for you, it's nice to have a little time to plan everything. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on here!!!

Good luck to you too!!!

I hope you really like Naples -- it looks like there are some excellent deals on houses in that area. I'm still a little concerned that the housing market doesn't seem to be moving much there -- I've been watching the Fannie Mae HomePath listings to see what is selling, especially what the last selling price was. I've fallen in love with the idea of owning a boat though. :scratchin Please keep us updated on your move :goodvibes

small world -- DH is from just outside of Montreal. Love to visit there, but we wouldn't move there -- we'd rather work in english.

Good luck to you too!!!

I hope you really like Naples -- it looks like there are some excellent deals on houses in that area. I'm still a little concerned that the housing market doesn't seem to be moving much there -- I've been watching the Fannie Mae HomePath listings to see what is selling, especially what the last selling price was. I've fallen in love with the idea of owning a boat though. :scratchin Please keep us updated on your move :goodvibes

small world -- DH is from just outside of Montreal. Love to visit there, but we wouldn't move there -- we'd rather work in english.

Thank you! And it is a small world! I was born in St Lambert and we lived in Knowlton on Brome Lake. :goodvibes So I'm very much looking forward to being on the gulf! We moved around quite a bit after that but settled in the US. The housing market up here is pretty slow too, but our realtor is very confident, so we'll see what happens!!! Keep us posted!

What a great thread! We, too, are moving to Florida this summer... it's looking like June when our kids are out of school for the summer. We are still looking for what city we are going to. DH is a wood craftsman and I'm a graphic designer, so we can really move anywhere and still be able to work. I started THIS thread last night and am so thankful for everyone's responses. There are some great cities/locations listed. We cannot wait to get out of this icy tundra of Michigan and not have to ever deal with snow and winter again, unless we CHOOSE to!

What a great thread! We, too, are moving to Florida this summer... it's looking like June when our kids are out of school for the summer. We are still looking for what city we are going to. DH is a wood craftsman and I'm a graphic designer, so we can really move anywhere and still be able to work. I started THIS thread last night and am so thankful for everyone's responses. There are some great cities/locations listed. We cannot wait to get out of this icy tundra of Michigan and not have to ever deal with snow and winter again, unless we CHOOSE to!

That's great that you can choose where you want to live - it's going to make a big difference. You can really research schools for your kids and find exactly where you want to be. :thumbsup2 I hear you about this icy tundra - it is so cold tonight here in Vermont - we have windchills of 30 below zero for tonight and tomorrow, GAH, can't wait to not have to deal with that anymore! Good luck and let us know where you decide to end up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter