Moving to Arizona theme gift basket?

java

<font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B
My teenage son's friend(a girl) is moving to Arizona and I want to get her a going away gift. Thinking fun theme basket kind of gift. But sadly that's all I have. Any ideas? Luvflorida any Arizona must haves? She is a sweetheart of a girl and I'm going to miss having her around.

Sunblock. Sun glasses. Hand-held, battery-operated fan. Heart-shaped ice cube tray.

Lotion, chap stick, and a water bottle lol. It takes some getting used to how dry it is here.

My teenage son's friend(a girl) is moving to Arizona and I want to get her a going away gift. Thinking fun theme basket kind of gift. But sadly that's all I have. Any ideas? Luvflorida any Arizona must haves? She is a sweetheart of a girl and I'm going to miss having her around.

My suggestion is to give her things that she won't have local to your area anymore as a going away present. Local snack cakes (tasty cakes?) or candy

If you want to do the other gift basket include sunscreen, sunglasses, sunhat, lotion, moisturizer, water mister fan and maybe something cute like tums because of all the chiles in everything out this way.

Oh I should mention this a cross country move(nj) I was going to use a cowboy hat as the "basket". I like the dry heat idea stuff and ice cube tray! Great. Keep them coming.
Her parents are staying here, she is moving alone!19

Oh I should mention this a cross country move(nj) I was going to use a cowboy hat as the "basket". I like the dry heat idea stuff and ice cube tray! Great. Keep them coming.
Her parents are staying here, she is moving alone!19

Give her a map! Seriously there are a lot of places with no cell phone/satellite reception on the roads out here. It's like being dropped down into a crater!
Could you include a local cookbook from your area so when she is homesick she could make up a few things?

Give her a map! Seriously there are a lot of places with no cell phone/satellite reception on the roads out here. It's like being dropped down into a crater!
Could you include a local cookbook from your area so when she is homesick she could make up a few things?

Tina the cookbook idea made me tear up. I like the map idea a lot!

Tina the cookbook idea made me tear up. I like the map idea a lot!

Obviously we have done a few moves and in every one of my going aways there has been a local cookbook and it has come in handy because when you want something from "home" you want comfort that you know.

Does she speak Spanish? Maybe a Spanish dictionary or even a "dummies guide to AZ" or tourist guide book so she can have a reference to get out and explore.

Think HOT! dry heat HOT!!!! think anything that resembles COOL! and I dont mean "cool" as in "way cool":lmao:

As someone that moved from MI to AZ alone when I was 18, all I wanted was a plane ticket back!

From my perspective, I'd be more appreciative of a box/basket full of the things I enjoy that they don't have out here. All of the "dry heat" stuff is aplenty out here, and no amount of sunblock or cactus candy makes me stop missing Tim Hortons and Faygo, you know?

Especially if she's moving cross country, it's the little homey things that make all the difference. Moving here is beyond shocking to the system when you've always been on the east coast. I'd happily trade the chili peppers for autumn leaves any day. :(

Is she moving to the Southern part of Arizona...Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma area? If so, here are some things we use on a year round basis:

sunscreen
hats with wide brims
sunglasses
lip balm
water bottles

I like the insulated water bottles or the Tervis glasses. No beaches in Arizona, but there are plenty of swimming pools. Maybe you could pack hot weather gear in a beach/poolside bag and add a nice beach/pool towel.

Books on Arizona are also a good idea. I bought a lot of books about relocating to Arizona before we moved, but, at her age, she wouldn't be interested in the ones we have.:laughing: Most of them are geared toward snowbirds and retirees.:)

I see Tina mentioned Arizona For Dummies, and I agree, that would be a great book to give her. Also maps of the city she is moving to.

Now, here is something that honestly helped us a lot when we first moved out here. Actually, it still does. I bought several books containing information (along with helpful illustrations) describing all the various creepy crawlers and critters that one might encounter out here in the desert. The books have put my mind at ease more than once! Of course, they've also scared the heebie-jeebies out of me, but I'd rather know what something is BEFORE I've come across it!:eek: I understand, though, if you want to omit such information from your welcome basket!:rotfl:

Another thought, is to give her a framed photo of something to remind her of the area she is leaving. When we moved from Maine to Arizona, a cousin of mine gave me a framed photo of three adirondack chairs sitting outside covered in snow.:) I love that picture! Every time I see it, it gives me a chuckle. It reminds me of home, but at the same time, makes me glad we no longer have to deal with frigid winters.:cool1:

If your son's friend is moving to another part of Arizona (Flagstaff or other areas in the northern section of the state) the weather won't be nearly as hot as the southern part.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to post.

... Local snack cakes (tasty cakes?) or candy

No Tina, those things can be mailed directly to me.:woohoo:;)

I had another thought about his thread late lastnight.

What about a calendar of pictures from your area? Is it too early to buy a local calendar of the area and maybe even throw in a Christmas ornament from something local to your area? I don't get homesick as often as I did when younger. I guess now that I'm "old" I get nostalgic and enjoy the touches of previous homes like ornaments or calendar.

Now, here is something that honestly helped us a lot when we first moved out here. Actually, it still does. I bought several books containing information (along with helpful illustrations) describing all the various creepy crawlers and critters that one might encounter out here in the desert.

Now THAT is a good idea. I've been living here 7 years now, and had my first run in with a scorpion last week. One of the scariest few minutes of my life, between spotting it and getting enough information online to feel ok and know what to do. (it probably didn't help that the reason I "found" it was because my pup did first, and though I didn't see it, i'm pretty sure it hurt him. he's never made a sound like that before :sad1: )

I guess stuff like this isn't as big of an issue in the main cities, which is why it's never been an issue for me before. But I was house / dog sitting for friends that live in the Foothills part of Tucson so it's much more common.

What about books that are all about Arizona???? TONS to do!!!!

Otherwise, any other housewarming gift is good.

I was born and raised in AZ....

Eventually she'll be sending you guys fresh tortillas and citrus! (Winter time of course)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter