Moving company costs

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
We’ve never used a company but under these circumstances we may have to. Our daughters lease is up and she has to move from her 2 bedroom apartment. She will be moving about 20 miles. What is an approximate cost for such a move if she packs the boxes?

We move a lot for my husbands job... most charge per hour. So think about how far the truck is from the door... such as stairs etc.
We have changed things up to save money.
If you rent a uhaul you can add movers on there webpage they show you the rates. Most are min of three hours rates are going to differ in each market. We paid 200 to the movers and 75 to uhaul

Last edited:
From similar posts over the years it seems that moving costs vary greatly due to location. Where I live it would probably run $2000-$2500

We just hired movers to move our son about a mile between apartments. We packed and moved all the small stuff, clothes and most of the boxes. We just needed them to move the big things. They charged about $100 per hour, plus a mileage fee. It was about $400 for 2 guys and took about 2.5 hours, start to finish.

This was a few years ago, but we used 2 guys and a truck to move houses. They charged $100/hour and I am sure there is a minimum. It took about 5 hours to pack up our old house, drive to the new one and unload. We also tipped the 2 drivers $50 each because they did an amazing job.

Thanks for all your replies. Our young adult kids have moved a lot from apartment to apartment and we usually help, but these are exceptional times! I was hoping maybe they could do it for $1000 each (roommate to split cost). Do you use a national moving company or just a local one?

We just hired movers to move our son about a mile between apartments. We packed and moved all the small stuff, clothes and most of the boxes. We just needed them to move the big things. They charged about $100 per hour, plus a mileage fee. It was about $400 for 2 guys and took about 2.5 hours, start to finish.
That is about what I would guess. We give the guys a tip and some cookies! It was worth every penny, was quick and no stress! Edit: We used a local, well respected company. I paid ahead (budgeting) and they gave me a refund!

Our housewarming gift for our daughter and son-in-law was movers. They had a 1-bedroom apartment, with a 1 car garage. Movers stopped at our house first (wasn’t that convenient), and picked up a bunch of her stuff. And then went to the apartment (located on a 2nd floor), it was about 20 minutes from our house to the apartment, and then 20 minutes to the house.

took about 3-4 hours, and the cost was just under $600.

The movers were recommended by the realtor. this group of movers was local.

I would call a local storage facility and ask for mover recommendations. They see lots of movers and know who the good and bad movers are in the area.

Our housewarming gift for our daughter and son-in-law was movers. They had a 1-bedroom apartment, with a 1 car garage. Movers stopped at our house first (wasn’t that convenient), and picked up a bunch of her stuff. And then went to the apartment (located on a 2nd floor), it was about 20 minutes from our house to the apartment, and then 20 minutes to the house.

took about 3-4 hours, and the cost was just under $600.

The movers were recommended by the realtor. this group of movers was local.
Wow that seems much cheaper than I would’ve thought. She has a two bedroom but no garage. Good idea to ask realtor or storage company for a recommendation on who to use since it’s overwhelming when you google if you don’t have a reference for someone.

We just moved a few pieces of furniture from our house to our DD's apartment 120 miles this weekend with Two Men and a Truck. They moved a queen size bed, mattress, box springs, triple dresser with mirror, cedar chest, dining room table, six chairs and buffet. There were also about 15 boxes and a couple of small items. Our furniture came out of a ranch and walk-out basement, her apartment was a third floor walk-up using the outdoor fire escape. They also carried up a sofa and rug that was brought to us. We paid $1,600. The men arrived at my house about 8:45 a.m. and left St. Louis at 1:15 p.m., meaning they should have been back to our town at approximately 2:45 p.m.

We have moved ourselves and our children quite a few times, and as we have gotten older we decided not to load and unload everything ourselves. The method we have used about 5 or 6 times was to pack up everything, and rent a trunk ourselves. You can then go on UHaul (online) and get movers to come and load and then unload your items. We have done this in 3 different locations, but we have had phenomenal luck with it. I believe we paid the movers a flat fee most of the time, and then we did tip generously, but a couple of the moves only cost us $500. The only issue is that they do not drive the truck that you rent, so you have to have someone that feels comfortable renting and driving a truck. (We mostly moved the amount in an apartment, not a whole house.) You can even go online and compare the movers' fees and schedule. It worked very well for us and was economical. Maybe we have been lucky but the movers we used were hard workers and very nice.

I had positive both positive and negative experience with movers. My best advice is to choose a reliable company even if the services cost more.

I've had absolutely fabulous local movers, and downright awful local movers (stole some boxes as well as damaging furniture). I suggest looking at reviews on Google/Yelp.

Also look into Pods - you can do a local move using them too. The actual pod rental and pickup/delivery is pretty cheap, the cost is if you have to have them move the pod a significant distance. DD22 and her boyfriend used them for a cross country move but the local pickup/storage/delivery charges totaled about $675 in Northern California. That includes a month of storage at $310 - might be able to negotiate that out for an even cheaper cost.

Regarding the approximate cost of your daughter's 20-mile move, it can depend on several factors. Packing the boxes herself will save some money, but the total cost will still vary based on the volume of items, any additional services like packing fragile items, and the specific moving company she chooses.
This thread is almost 3 years old - surely she has gotten moved by now.

It was helpful to me because I'm using movers soon! Coming tomorrow for estimate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter