Motorized Vehicles at Disney Parks

Hilary

There's always something new to learn!
Here's a copy of a letter received by the DIS Webmasters, and posted in the 'news section', which Pete thought worth sharing with all posters:

Recognition of Motorized Vehicles at Disney Parks

A note to the DIS
"Hello webmastercorey

I have been rolling around both Disneyland and Disneyworld on my own or a Disney-owned ECV and, once, a regular wheelchair. I give you these thoughts from my own experience. If I could, I'd post them everywhere.

I'm not sure what the ADA requirements are for aisle width in stores, but, with all that Disney attention to detail I'm positive that the Disney store layout people follow every requirement on the list. I do know, too, that aisle access is much easier when the stores are empty of shoppers...DUHHHH. So, of course, when I shop at any of the Disney stores on Main Street and there is a normal (crowded) level of shopping activity by other guests I sometimes manage to run over toes with my ECV as shoppers somehow manage to ignore my motorized state and crowd around, block my passage, and even stick their feet under my ECV. And they complain. ....

"OUCH," they cry loudly, as though this metal lump I ride really cares. Who, I ask, is controlling their feet? Stand back. Accord me and my pseudo-legs the same amount of personal space as you expect from others, I say. Do you get so close to other pedestrians that they are forced to touch you to maintain their balance or their direction?

My point? If recognition of a fellow shopper's personal space is a reflection of the level of respect other shoppers have for them then I say SHAME ON YOU to people who teach their children to have respect for automobiles by looking both ways before crossing a street and yet, in front of their children, think nothing of playing "chicken" on Disney streets by stepping in front of the disabled rider of an ECV or electric wheelchair. These are motorized vehicles, people. Like automobiles, they can cause injuries while feeling no pain themselves.They act as the legs for those whose own legs or associated body parts do not work properly. They are tricky to operate and they have no perception of how close their wheels are to others' feet. They, for the most part on Disney property, belong to Disney and often have little steering, acceleration, and braking quirks that sometimes don't reveal themselves during the nightly (?) PM checkout or the first half-day of a rider's familiarization. If you see a motorized vehicle coming through, GET OUT OF THE WAY! Leave at least 2 feet of clearance MINIMUM between your bulk and the handlebars of an ECV. Do not reveal the level of your idiocy, ignorance, and lack of respect by tempting fate and coming closer. If you cannot show respect for someone who is ambulatorily impaired, at least show a little respect for your toes and other body parts and get out of the way. Don't be so arrogant as to wonder out loud "what on earth is that thing doing in this crowd?" That "thing" is probably as much a part of the rider as your feet are part of you. Have respect. These motorized feet are bigger and don't feel a thing. As part of the rider, a person, they belong at Disneyworld, too."
Lynda & Cash

I would suggest that those 'driving' electric convenience vehicles realize and respect that others do NOT have eyes in the back of their heads--no matter what your mother said!
In the past 18 months, 3 members of my family have been injured in two separate incidents by operators of ecv's at the park.
The first instance occured when a woman was driving her ecv with her grandaughter on her lap. She came up behind me with no warning, as I do not have eyes in the back of my head.
The second incident occured when a woman lost control of her ecv in a shop on main street, rammed through the crowd, yelling "I don't know how to drive this thing! Look out", but alas it was too late. My son's foot, my husbands hand and the jewelry counter stopped her. My son's foot was trapped under the tire of the vehicle, and my husband's hand was trapped between the basket and the jewelry counter. With his only remaining good hand, and with a rush of adrenalin, he lifted the vehicle up by the basket to free his hand and my son's foot.
We said a bit more than 'ouch' at each of these events!
How ironic to be injured by a vehicle that is intended to be a convenience to those disabled!
:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter