Motion sickness & staterooms

Minnie&Mickey

I want to live at the Fort!
I am getting ready to make reservations for our first cruise (June 2004), and I was wondering which part of the ship we should try to get to avoid problems with motion sickness. I always thought that it was mid-ship, but I have read somewhere that the back of the boat is better. Also, would you suggest Bonine or the patch? I know that one of them has problems if you drink alcoholic beverages (which we will), but I'm not sure which one.

And one more question for all you experts...we are looking at either a Cat. 4 for all of us (me, dh, dd19, & dd16), or two connecting Cat. 6 rooms, or (on the advice of the agency) a Cat. 6 & a Cat. 11 across the hall. Which would you choose?

Thanks for all your help. I've really enjoyed reading about your experiences!

We were in a cat 5 at midship 2 years ago, and noticed more motion from the ship than last year, when we were at the VERY back of the ship. However, last year we were in a cat 3, which is more open and much larger than a cat 5, so that may have had something to do with it. I can tell you that neither one was enough to bother any of us in the slightest! We have 2 kids, now 11 and 13, and they ran around the ship like crazy all week, basically unaware that it was even moving. We had Bonine along with us just in case, but never took it, either year.

As for your staterooms, I would definitely say the 2 cat 6 rooms would be the best. Even the cat 4 would feel a little tight with all 4 of you, in my opinion.

P.S. Alcohol can cause problems when mixed with Bonine, but after a couple of sailaway drinks, you won't need the Bonine anyway!! ;)

'Beano':cool:

Hi Minnie&Mickey.

I know that one of them has problems if you drink alcoholic beverages (which we will), but I'm not sure which one.

It's not just one. ANY alcoholic beverage will create problems...

We are a family of 5 and did Category 4 twice...so I'm sure 4 would fit just fine. I also have 2 teens so they're not little ones anymore. However, this year we are getting 2 rooms and looking forward to it. Even though you don't spend a lot of time in the cabin, it is still crowded so you will probably be more comfortable w/ the 2 rooms. That way you also have 2 bathrooms.

As far as location of the ship goes...we have stayed midship and AFT. This year staying AFT again (by choice) as we didn't notice much difference.

The patch has a lot of side effects.....one is making your vision so blurry you can't even read a menu....I used Bonine and had no trouble.

the only time I felt ill on the cruise was in Parrot's Cay which is on deck 3 aft. Maybe aft is better when you are on a higher deck, but I'm going to stick with midship. Midship is also what DCL recommended when we asked what was best for motion sickness.

BD,

Alochol can cause sea sickness (lack of vertical control, nausea, vomiting) even on land.

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll stick with Bonine, midship, and not much alcohol! :D

We're leaving Saturday on our 3rd DCL cruise this year and as always, I have 2 staterooms on deck 5 in the back of the ship. We have a category 6 for my husband and I, and a category 11 across the hall for our 3 kids. I love having the extra room as well as the extra bathroom. I get very seasick and enjoy the cagins here.
I use the patch for any kind of motion sickness and have no side effects to speak of. I drank on the last 2 cruises with it and plan to do so on this next cruise and seem to have no problems.
Carolyn

Originally posted by jgalecpa
BD,
Alcohol can cause sea sickness (lack of vertical control, nausea, vomiting) even on land.

trink02.gif
trink21.gif
eck03.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter