Motion sicknes! Best deck location?

Dizzie

Mouseketeer
We are planning our first ever cruise for sometime in 2005. My DH has motion sickness. Is there a better location on a deck or a better deck level to decrease chances of motion sickness?

Our kids will be 10, 6 and 3. Should we stay away from a veranda? Our 2 yo wants to be a mountain climber!

When is the best time of year for a 4 day cruise? We have year round school so we are off part of the summer, Oct, Jan/Feb, and April/May.

Thanks for your help from a newbie cruiser!

The verandah doors are very secure, so I wouldn't avoid one just because of the kids. I can't get the darned thing open half the time myself! The first time we had a verandah, hubby was almost convinced that you could only look through the door but not go outside.
We have done 36 cruises, and the area where I feel the most motion is forward. We are almost always aft, where you can feel it a bit, but it seems more pronounced in the forward section. But you won't really notice it much anywhere unless the seas are rough because the ship has excellent stabilizers.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Hi Dizzie,

We've only been on one cruise so certainly not as experienced as inkkognito :) but I agree with her on our cruise we were on deck 5 aft and it was absolutely fine and we were motoring because there was a hurricane on our tail.

I did ask another experienced cruiser and they said forward was best avoided if you suffered from motion sickness but recommended the middle in a lower deck to feel less motion.

Hope that helps.

Alba
:sunny:

we were just about midship on deck 7 and could barely feel any motion... it's kind of a gentle rocking...the only night we had a problem was Thursday night/Friday morning. The seas were really high, my daughter and I were bouncing back from the movie theatre. Once we were in our cabin we were fine. I could feel the motion sometimes when we were in the dining rooms. I was grateful we weren't staying on that deck or below.

It's just a motion you get used to and you miss once you're back on land... it took me about 2 weeks to stop rocking & swaying!!

We were midship deck 8 and only felt a little as we were pulling out of Port Canveral, and then a little one night with choppy seas. I have vertigo which can be aggravated by heights and motion, and I had no problem standing on our verandah looking out or down, but when I looked out the portholes by Parrot cat I almost fell over. Maybe because the waves look so much larger because you're closer, but that was the one time I felt quite ill.

Anne

We were also midship on deck 8 the last 2 Novembers and experienced really rough seas both times. We didn't have problems with sea sickness but we could feel the rocking (and hear it, the trunk doors and closet door kept banging with the rocking). I did think I felt the motion much more when I was in the restaurants and walking on lower decks than I could when I was in our stateroom.

On our last eastern cruise, on a sea day, the kids club was back in Annimators Palate for a Disney Animation class. Most of the kids got sick (ours included). OK we were experiencing 20-24 foot swells. We took the kids up to deck 9 and 10 and got them out in the fresh air and after a while everyone was feeling much better.

The stabilizers they have on the ship are amazing. Even in those huge waves the motion on the ship was manageable (and I get motion sickness very easily!!)

I belive lower and mid ship to aft is the best place to be to feel less motion. A few days ago someone posted a great visual "experiment". Hold a pen or pencil at its tip (upright). Now wiggle your hand back and forth. Observe which part moves the most (its the part farthest from your hand). Maybe that's why we like deck 2 so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter