• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Motels in Jacksonville, FL?

Abra Cat

DIS Veteran
We're driving down, and picking up my mother-in-law near Tampa before heading to WDW, and we're considering stopping overnight in Jacksonville to break up the drive. I've been looking at AAA recommended motels in the Jacksonville area, and I'd appreciate any opinions or first hand reviews. The Masters Inn, either by the airport or J.T. Butler Blvd. each have a $40.95 a night AAA rate. Anyone know how clean and kept up they are? What about the neighborhoods? We're also considering the Hampton Inn on Salisbury Road, although they're a bit more expensive at $62 a night. If anyone has any other suggestions, my only requirements are cheap, clean and safe. Thanks.

I will try to help you anyway i can. The JTB location is our main way right onto 95. When i moved here i stayed at a hotel on Salisbury Rd. I believe the Hampton Inn is nice compared to the one i stayed at. The neighborhood is not too bad for either. If you want, on one of my errands, i will scope it out for you. I am only a couple min. away from JTB/Salisbury Rd. and am always back and forth from that area. email me with your info if you like. wtrflea@aol.com

Abra Cat, what part of NC are you from? We also like to stay in Jacksonville to make the trip easier. We have usually stayed at the Quality Hotel off Butler (exit 101). I am hoping to get a good deal there this July again.

wtrflea, that's very generous, thank you! If you can just tell me whether they look clean and well kept, I would really appreciate it. From what I understand, the Masters Inn is actually just off J.T. Butler Blvd; here is the address: 4940 Mustang Road. The Hampton Inn is at 4690 Salisbury Rd. Please don't go to any trouble. Thanks again!

Ratpack, we're in the mountains. What kind of deal have you gotten at the Quality Hotel in the past?

Last year, I got it for $50 through online discounter. Cheapest I have found so far this year is $59.

abra cat,
No problem! If not today, i will scope them out tomorrow. That is, unless you get an opinion from somebody on this board that has actually stayed there. Have a good one!

Abra Cat,
Just booked the Master's Inn off Butler for our trip. Didn't have AAA so I paid $45 a night. When are you guys going down?

Thanks, wtrflea, you're very kind.

Ratpack, we're going in December for our 10th anniversary. How about you?

I stayed at the JAX airport Masters Inn in Feb. (arrived late, just wanted somewhere cheap to stay near the airport.) From the pictures, it looked new, so i figured it couldn't be too bad.

Would I stay there again?
no

It was a newer property, so it wasn't too bad, but the way they keep it clean, I'd hate to see it in a year or two.

The housekeeping is atrocious. It looked like they used a dirty rag to clean the mirrors. They were so streaked up you could hardly see through them. The gal at the front desk was not at all friendly. Just seems to be a general lax attitude with everyone who works there.

I stayed at the Residence Inn near the airport on the way home and it was 110% better. (definately worth the extra $$ )

Thanks for the review, smart cookie— yikes! Thanks for the link, too; I'll check it out.

Originally posted by Abra Cat

Ratpack, we're going in December for our 10th anniversary. How about you? [/B]

We are going in July/Aug for our 9th Anniversary. Went last year for our 8th. Do you see a pattern developing?;)

Yeah, starting to... :D We're actually thinking of making an annual anniversary trip, rather than going at random times of the year. We went in September, and I swore I would never go back to Florida in a non-winter month again (did I mention I was a lifelong Floridian until 5 years ago?). So, December works best for us, especially with the wonderful Christmas decorations.

Originally posted by Ratpack
We are going in July/Aug for our 9th Anniversary. Went last year for our 8th. Do you see a pattern developing?;)

Jacksonville is a nice area. I looked at orbitz and found good deals on hotels there when I was looking, but since DH is stationed there we ended up staying at the Navy Lodge which was absolutely wonderful. If you have any military connections, I would recommend it. Sorry I'm not much help!

Thanks for the info, Trinity. My husband works for the federal government— I don't suppose that's enough to get us into the Navy Lodge, though...

Originally posted by Trinity721
Jacksonville is a nice area. I looked at orbitz and found good deals on hotels there when I was looking, but since DH is stationed there we ended up staying at the Navy Lodge which was absolutely wonderful. If you have any military connections, I would recommend it. Sorry I'm not much help!

Abra Cat,
I am so sorry that it took a while for me to get back to you! Between DH leaving and sick kids! Anyway, here is what i saw:
The Masters Inn is a newer property. It had a sign on it for specials of $39.95. It is behind an Applebees and another inn. It reminded me of an apt. building. It has good access because it is right off I95.
The Hampton Inn-It is a little older, but it is in a good area. It is surrounded by Marriott and many different hotels-I think a Holiday inn too. It looked decent to me. My kids said they would pick the Hampton Inn over the Masters Inn. The Hampton inn is also off I95/Butler Blvd. Just a few more turns to get back on to the Int.
I also liked the Hampton Inn-did not seem dirty. I would feel more comfortable with my car here. I hope this helps. If you need anything else, let me know. There were alot of hotels in that same area. La Quinta, Courtyard,etc. Just do not book the Residence inn over there (nasty!!)

wtrflea , thank you so much for all your help! You've gone above and beyond! I'll definitely take all that into consideration; the Hampton Inn sounds pretty good to me. If you ever need to know anything about western North Carolina, just let me know! ;)

Abra Cat,
No problem! Glad I could help. I hope you have a safe and wonderful trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter