Most awkward moments you have had at weddings?

When our son and daughter-in-law got married, her mother and I had to go up to the alter and light candles. All they had was a cheap matchbook. I struggled with lighting the flimsy match several times but finely got it.

trying not to laugh out loud
the wedding was at a golf course... in some trees near the course.. during the ceremony a golf ball flew above the heads of the audience (someone did yell fore LOL). Literally a foot over our seated heads, missing the minister by inches... It did not help it was at my husband's ex girlfriend/my friend's wedding... and I just had this image all of a sudden of the classic "Does anyone object", and the minister/bride/groom taking the golf ball in the forehead and going down. Did not help we joked about it before the wedding started... I tried to pretend like I was coughing but I was mortified to be THAT person, it was NOT my intention to take any attention away from the bride.

My father showed up to my wedding in his colors, rather unexpectedly. My then-1yo daughter literally ran away from him crying and spent the rest of the night clinging to FIL so he could protect her from the scary stranger, and my father coped with the rejection by spending the latter part of the evening hitting on a 19yo bridesmaid.

At a friend's wedding, some helpful soul lit the candles on a couple of decorative arrangements that were never meant to be lit. Which then lit the fake butterflies and greenery attached to the candles on fire. Easily enough doused and not enough to set off any sprinklers or anything, but it was still a very "sitcom" wedding moment.

When the groom's "usherette" came into the ladies room and announced to her friend, "I don't care if he is married, I'm still going to $%&* him!" The bride was pregnant, so she grabbed the bride's toasting flute and drank from it the rest of the night. The over/under on the marriage was 6 months. They lasted 2 years.

My cousin gave her promise ring back to her parents because the promise had been fulfilled. EWWWW! I don't need to know anything about that. At the end of the ceremony, the bride was bouncing on her toes. I thought she was that excited to be married. Her mother told me later that she was excited to be married, but more excited for her first kiss! No, it wasn't a Duggar wedding.

Sooooo....DH and I got married the same day I got divorced from my first husband. The clerk for the license said are you SURE you want to do this? Note: did not meet DH until after separation...

To make it more interesting the judge at the courthouse was at lunch so we went to the county jail and got married by an 80 year old magistrate. When we finished all the inmates and folks making bail clapped for us.

So in my town there is an elderly human who is known to be very proud about being from our town. Every event front and center. To the point it gets annoying and at times downright rude if she doesn’t get her way or get asked to do something.

My cousins wedding in 2015. Now we were in a church so anyone can come in. Well halfway through the service (for those who were raised/practice/ know about Catholicism this was right as the Gospel was ending and the homily was beginning). In this church the bride and groom sit together maid of honor to the brides side (was my cousins sister) and best man to the grooms side (was his brother).

I see my cousin who is the MOH start holding in laughter and look at her sister the bride. She starts holding in laughter. All of a sudden we hear “OH HOW LOVELY” from the back of the church. Every person on the grooms side was mortified/didn’t know (though eventually the groom and best man started stifling laughter too) and all of us on the brides side either tried to stifle laughter/not respond/look the other way. She eventually realized it was the brides home base church so to speak and started finding people to ask who was getting married and my grandmother finally told her “it’s *insert brides parents name here* please sit down and be quiet. Well she went right up to the front and congratulated the parents on both sides until the priest finally told her to sit down. Meanwhile all my cousins and I could not stop laughing or stifling laughter. My dad had to leave the room he was laughing so hard. She threw a fit afterwards she didn’t know they were getting married and needless to say when my cousin who was MOH got married two years later they went to a church a couple towns over to avoid this/they needed a bigger church as it was a bigger wedding.

Sadly while we know this human means well, it often times is more of a sad outcome. About a year and a half later a family friend who was a first responder passed away and since it was a first responder multiple fire/ems/police show up in uniform and with their vehicles. Very young too. So said friends parents and sibling were still alive. Everyone was crying. And this human comes marching in and realizes it’s a funeral and starts sobbing and screaming omg I’m so sorry in the middle of the gospel. By the time she made it to the parents, the father and sibling calmly but sternly turned them away and they were in such a state of shock they meandered towards the back and stood there silent for the rest of the service. Needless to say, they realized they were wrong that day.

But the wedding story will always give us a laugh when needed.

I went to a wedding reception where an old-fashioned Wild West saloon fight broke out. It started when, and I'm a little fuzzy on the details, something happened with the beer. As in, it ran out or something and the catering company wouldn't crack another keg. The groom, who was marrying my brother-in-law's stepsister, punched somebody. Somebody else jumped in to defend the person being punched, and the next thing my sister and I knew, chairs were flying, glass was smashing, tables were being kicked over, and my brother-in-law and some other guys were pushing us and the other women out of the hall. The last thing I saw before I was pushed out was the bride jumping on a man's back because he was on her new husband throwing punches. There were arrests, including my brother-in-law. He had to go to court for disorderly conduct.

At my wedding, the church's air conditioning broke down that day and it was July 13th and hotter than blazes!!!
My brother was best man and his tuxedo pants zipper broke before we walked down the aisle. Someone found a pin and fixed it as good as could be expected.

Our photographer had halitosis and he kept losing his cameras all day long!

Other than that, it was fine, LOL

We attended a wedding at the bride's church. They had communion during the ceremony. Other weddings I'd attended with a communion portion had invited all guests to participate whether they were members of the church or not. This church didn't allow that and the guests were told that, because we were sinners and bound for Hell, we would bring judgement on the true members of the church if we participated or were even in the sanctuary at this time, so we had to go stand in the lobby (is it called a narthex in a church??) while the few members of the congregation took their communion. I'm not criticizing how this church runs their weddings, it was just a bit odd. Many of the older folks waiting in the lobby with me were aghast.

At that reception, we were seated at a table with the bride's friends, whom we didn't know. They spoke amongst themselves and ignored my husband and I. Trying to make conversation, I asked what they all did. They replied that they all worked together in feminine hygiene product development. I really couldn't think of how to carry on with that particular conversation at the dinner table, so I said, "Oh, how nice" and stopped trying to make small talk, lol.

At my mom's second wedding a guest was dancing to "It's Raining Men" and thought it would be a great idea to take off her top, swing it over her head and throw it in the air. It got caught in the ceiling fan. The reception hall staff had to be contacted to turn off the fan and then attempts were made to snag the top from the fan blades, while the topless guest waited...at least her bra matched her outfit.

I am too young to remember it myself, but my mom and I went out of town to attend the wedding of my cousin when I was maybe three years old. Supposedly, when the music started and the bride (my cousin) started down the aisle, I began singing Happy Birthday. Fortunately the couple did not hold it against me.

Not really awkward, but it was funny. Sister's wedding: Following the ceremony, we all filed outside to great the couple. The brother of the groom was about to announce the couple and open the church doors. You can see clearly on the video, his father stepping in front of him, whispering to him, he turns to the doors, pulls up his fly, and opens the doors and introduces the happy couple. It was so smooth, most people didn't notice.

A high school friend's wedding. She had parents who had both remarried a couple times and a lot of the ex's/prior and current step-parents were all there, part of the ceremony, and sharing the front pew; as well as, the biological parents' current significant others. That was not an issue. What was... the parents themselves. It was CRYSTAL CLEAR that they were trying to outdo each other. Her dad with his trophy near-teen girlfriend. Her mom in the SHORTEST white dress I've ever seen flirting outrageously with every single man in the church, while dangling her latest guy off her arm. It was just cringe-worthy.

Another friend's wedding was just strange: Her officiant was wearing a head to toe Bengals suit (socks, pants, jacket, tie, hat). Honestly, he pulled a lot of attention off the happy couple. And at the end of the wedding, someone came down the aisle in one of those bouncy, blow up, t-rex costumes to greet the couple. It was just weird. To each their own, I guess?

The absolutely foul groomsman speech at my cousin's second wedding. The "funny" finish was when the best man asked for all those attending to return their keys to my cousin's house because she was taken now... and like 50 guys brought random keys to the front... including my cousin's brother and father. Ew.

But the truly awkward. My niece's wedding. The groom/mother of the groom dance. His mom was rubbing her face on his, kissing all over his face, it practically looked like she going to lick his face. He was just stoic and dancing through all of this. It was really awkward over the top "my baby is getting married" creepy behavior toward this bear of a man. We were all just looking away because it was super uncomfortable to watch.

Two things really, The first was when the priest said, We are here in the presence of god to unite in marriage Gail and Richard. My name isn't Richard. Possible loophole?? No, we corrected him with an discreet whisper.

Second, when it came time to put the ring on her finger, Richard reached for her right hand instead of the left that she was holding out toward me. Possible brain freeze due to identity confusion.

I just remembered one more, when we left the reception to go back to our apartment and change and head out for or honeymoon, our landlady, who also lived in our building insisted that we take her home since we were going there anyway. True, of course, but seemed kinda awkward too.

That all seems minor compared to some of the previous posts, but at the time it seemed embarrassing.

Last edited:
We attended a wedding at the bride's church. They had communion during the ceremony. Other weddings I'd attended with a communion portion had invited all guests to participate whether they were members of the church or not. This church didn't allow that and the guests were told that, because we were sinners and bound for Hell, we would bring judgement on the true members of the church if we participated or were even in the sanctuary at this time, so we had to go stand in the lobby (is it called a narthex in a church??) while the few members of the congregation took their communion. I'm not criticizing how this church runs their weddings, it was just a bit odd. Many of the older folks waiting in the lobby with me were aghast.
This is extremely bizarre. It's normal for churches to limit who receives communion (I've heard it phrased in various ways in different Christian denominations), but I have never heard of a church making people leave the room. If that was their practice, then the bride and groom should have opted for a ceremony that did not include communion.

someone came down the aisle in one of those bouncy, blow up, t-rex costumes to greet the couple. It was just weird
Similar to this story, our niece got married on the beach in CA. SHE (as in the bride), is the one who came walking up in one of those t-rex things. No one had a clue who it was until she took it off, to show a gorgeous wedding gown underneath it. Not sure if it was a running joke between her and her fiancee or what, but it was really weird!

This is extremely bizarre. It's normal for churches to limit who receives communion (I've heard it phrased in various ways in different Christian denominations), but I have never heard of a church making people leave the room. If that was their practice, then the bride and groom should have opted for a ceremony that did not include communion.
Yes, I've been to many weddings where members of the congregation or denomination are invited to participate and the rest of the guests stay in the pews but to get booted out of the room entirely was definitely awkward. Not only was it a little off putting, but we didn't know if we should take our belongings (e.g. coats, purses, etc) or not, and if you didn't then you had to find your same seat again...just weird all around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter