• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

More reflections on the hundred Years celebrations

YoHo

If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.
First I'd like to apoligize to thedscoop. For those who caught it before it was rightly erased, I was rather rude to thedscoop and while I stand by the on topic comments I made and will restate them here, I must apolgize for getting bent out of shape and being rude to him.

At any rate, here's the gist of what I had to say.

1: I love parades. I'd be humming John Phillip Sousa right now if it weren't for the fact that the title theme from muppet Treasure Island was going through my head (more on that elsewhere).
2: The 3 new parades look excellent and the redo of Tapestry looks quite good as well, I can't wait to see them.
3: It offends me that the only reason we got these parades was Walt's Birthday. I mean, how long has the mulan parade been running? or the one in MK? this is disgusting. they should have made these parades anyway, not waited for a celebration as an excuse. AS a matter of course new parades should be done. Same with the pin trading and the snowglobes. They act as if its the most special thing in the world. Like Hey look, we sell millions of Pins and thousands of Snowglobes every year. Every year there's a new snowglobe for pooh, because all those pooh fanatics will by every one of them. This time, we're gonna do the same thing we always do, but claim its special for Walt only. BULL the only potentially special thing about this is the Exhibits which while greatly expanded are nothing more then an exhibit that was shut down and has been brought back.

I don't know if I've adequately explained myself, If not, I think some more eloquent people here can.

the jist is, I don't mind any of the things they are doing, but taken seperately or as a whole, they aren't a celebration of Walt, they're an example of Disney doing what it should be doing when there is no celebration.

And I disagree with the notion that an E-ticket would have been appropriate. I still think that nothing should have been done in the parks. Celebrate in a wholy unique way.

thedscoop, I just wanted to express my gratitude for making this a place that is occasionally fun to visit.
Everyone here has his or her opinion of what is right and wrong with Disney. Everyone has valid arguments, although some of the premises are not based on truth. Then again what is the truth- it is different to different people.
The point, however is that all people here are interested in Disney. A lot of us like it. Some like it, but want to be better. It is still a wonderful place to visit. I hope that a little of the feeling that I get at WDW can be found here.

...well spake. I agree with about everything you said.
It offends me that the only reason we got these parades was Walt's Birthday.
I'm similarly but slightly differently offended; I'm offended that these fairly routine updates (routine in the sense you mention; updated parades should be a regular cycle, not delayed then presented as a special celebration) are supposed to serve as a celebration of Walt's birth and life. The information we've gotten so far suggests that "Walt" is going to be a relatively minor presence at his own party.

That's just wrong, sez I.
I disagree with the notion that an E-ticket would have been appropriate. I still think that nothing should have been done in the parks. Celebrate in a wholy unique way.
Interesting; I'd love to hear what kinds of things you have in mind, non-park wise. Personally, I can see the possibility that an E-ticket created from an unused idea of Walt's could be fitting for this type of celebration. As someone once said (can't for the life of me remember who), it's hard to fairly judge a particular something until you actually experience it.

Jeff

I'll admit, I'm not much of a parade person, but I try to catch the new ones, and there are a few I love (LONG LIVE MSEP! - even in it's current incarnation as the Disney Electrical Parade at DCA). But...

It seemed to me that, at Disneyland, the parades followed popular (blockbuster) animated movies (I'm specifically thinking Lion King, but I guess Mulan might qualify at WDW as well). Haven't the WDW parades followed the movies? (We don't need to get into the parade-as-marketing hype question). Or did the fact that Atlantis didn't achieve the necessary status put a potential new parade on ice? If that's the case, we need a major animated hit to refresh the parades. Better to celebrate the new characters in great movies than to market snowglobes (not that I have anything against snowglobes - I have a bunch).

Just wondering...

Gary

P.S. On another note, I disagree that "nothing" should have been done to the parks. But a fitting tribute would have been a stem-to-stern cleaning, refurbishing, repainting, etc., that would've made the parks appear to be magical places even to the most jaded cynic. Maybe even bring back a "vintage" ride from Walt's day.

Well, I think the movie being done by the Disney's is a good start. Why not instead of just funding Cal Arts (that's it right?) Help build a new campus or Building. It would be cool to do it without putting his name on it, but even with his name attache dit would be great. Why not make a released to theaters documentary of His life and the history of the company. It could be one of the highest grossing documentarys ever.

I guess I'm having trouble coming up with stuff, because there is so little that the company could do, even if they weren't in the state they were currently in. that wouldn't smell off. Its almost as if the Disney Family needs to do this alone and maybe the company just funds it.

Note the above paragraph doesn't lighten my accusation with regards to the parades. They are not special as I've stated above.

gary, Tarzan was a hit it didn't get a parade. the remember the magic parade uses scenes of multiple vintages.

just to clarify, based on what I've seen, these parades look REALLY GOOD. I mean they excite me, but that doesn't excuse them.
I don't think the sagging animation situation is an excuse to not do a new parade. I don't remember, maybe Landbaon can shed some light, but during the late 70s and pre mermaid eightes, Disney didn't have much going on in the animation department and I don't think the parks went paradeless.

As some type of tribute i would propose they go thru their old files and look for something that Walt propsed but never built and finally complete it in the way he wanted. Their has to be alot of ideas he had that were never finished. Or i would like some type of simiulator ride/3d movie/POC type attraction where you bring to life the charachters Walt created and only the ones he created and put on a show/attraction that he couldnt have done while alive due to the increases in technology. Im not a imagineer but im sure they could come up with some creative ideas to make it work if given a chance. And have no sponser and not end in a gift shop so as to sell merchandisem just a respectful tribute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter