More (of the same?) AKV info

I had the opportunity to talk to a guy manning the DVC desk at WL a couple of days ago. Unlike most DVC salesmen, he was very willing to talk about AKV and offered up most information unsolicited.

I didn't follow the official AKV thread very long, and this is probably all really old news/rumors, but here's what this CM said.

- The new building with the DVC units would definitely be attached to the existing AK Lodge.

- Rooms will be larger...closer to the OKW room sizes.

- He volunteered without my asking that the 1BR would take 5 people and the 2BR take 9 person occupancy.

- Very interesting is that he said the 1BR would have 2 bathrooms. That would be huge, IMHO.

- They will bring in 40 additional animals for the new savannah view area that DVC will have.

- There will be a new themed pool in the DVC area.

- There will be an additional sit-down restaurant and probably another counter service snack area in the DVC section.

- Existing members will be notified first for sales with the "usual incentives" for a new resort. I don't know what that means and didn't ask.

Like I said, he offered up almost all of that information after I just asked him when he thought they'd start selling AKV. He guessed some time in the middle of next year as SSR is 2/3 sold out according to him. I'm thinking that if SSR still has a third of the points to sell that will take more than 6 months.

Mods...if this needs to be moved somewhere else, that's fine. I'm on dial up here at VWL and I couldn't do much searching!

Our guide gave us all that same info a couple weeks ago when we met with him. He also said that the AKV would not be within walking distance of AKL, but would have it's own check-in and be seperate except for the villas that are being made from the 5th and 6th floors.

I will be at AKL here in a couple of days. I will try and PUSH:headache: some info out of a few people and hear if they tell me the same story or just talk out of there rear. Any suggestions on who to talk to? Do you think the people at the DVC station will have more info then say DVC station at the poly?

I will be at AKL here in a couple of days. I will try and PUSH:headache: some info out of a few people and hear if they tell me the same story or just talk out of there rear. Any suggestions on who to talk to? Do you think the people at the DVC station will have more info then say DVC station at the poly?

My understanding is that the CMs working at the booths in the theme parks and hotels don't have the credentials to discuss any specifics regarding the program. Their role is simply to get you interested, show you a few photos and perhaps a video, and then get you to schedule an actual tour.

Then you've got the actual sales Guides who are probably reluctant to say anything to most people because they don't have any finalized information in their hands.

I'd say your best bet would be to approach one of the booth people and identify yourself as a current member from the outset. At least then the CM shouldn't have to worry about any claims of misrepresenting the program since you are already a customer.

Until DVC releases the details, I think we're probably just going to get variations on the same rumors over and over again. CMs read the Internet, too. Over the years rumors from Disney CMs as a whole have gotten less and less reliable. Used to be the rumors were entirely based upon what they heard around the workplace. Now more and more it appears many just regurgitate comments from Disney message boards like this one.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I have a hard time thinking that the AKV won't be within walking distance to the AKL. On the other hand, that could explain why it would need its own themed pool and sit down restaurant.

It's interesting, to be sure. ::yes::

spiceycat said:
How is Christmas at WDW - crowded?
I'll post a quick trip report but yes, it was very crowded. And crummy weather for much of the time. But a great time to visit WDW especially for a DVC member or anyone else who visits WDW regularly and isn't worried about "doing it all". :thumbsup2

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I have a hard time thinking that the AKV won't be within walking distance to the AKL.

Yeah, I don't get that either.

Unless there are actual physical barriers, I can't see it being so far as to completely prohibit walking. If people consider MGM within walking distance of the BC/YC, I can't see AKL / AKV being any further apart. No, I wouldn't want to make the trip with luggage in tow, but less than a mile apart is still "walking distance", IMO.

I wonder if some of these sources aren't confusing the distance to the Animal Kingdom theme park, which certainly won't be within walking distance. :confused3

thanks Granny!

what i believe - no proof - is that it would be the animals between the 2 resorts that would make no walking. not because it is too long - but to kept the guest very separated from the animals.

of course someone could walk along the road - but I guess there will be no sidewalks. - might be an opportunity to make a walking path that AKL does not have now.

of course sharing a bus could be a problem?

Has there been any talk as to when we can start reserving rooms there? We are thinking of going down in October

sales are surpose to start in Feb or March - next fall is when the place is surpose to open. but until DVC is sure of that date you can't make reservations.

so I am thinking this summer they will start to allow reservations. (might be sooner)

of course why hasn't DVC announced this to us. they generally do before the sales began.

I really, really want to see the point chart....

sales are surpose to start in Feb or March - next fall is when the place is surpose to open. but until DVC is sure of that date you can't make reservations.

so I am thinking this summer they will start to allow reservations. (might be sooner)

And if they follow the pattern from SSR's opening, they will give new AKV owners a couple months' priority (even though it falls outside of the 11/7 guidelines) to book their Home before reservations are opened up to the rest of the owners. Probably won't be much room for non-AKV owners before 2008.

Well we just got back from the our trip today and we were told that AKV would be connected to the existing lodge to keep the one building feel. And there would be seperate check in and Maybe another pool.
He also said dues would start at about 5% becaue of all the animals. He wasn't sure on when they are starting presales. I asked a couple other and they also said that it would be connected but that was all they knew. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter