Moonlight Magic at Epcot for little kids?

famluvdis

Earning My Ears
Hi! I was so excited to see that we will be in WDW during the offering for the Moonlight Magic at Epcot on Dec 4th. However, realizing now it might not start until 8, I'm wondering if it's even worth going with out kiddos, who will be 5 and 2 at the time. We are not super strict with going to bed early during our vacations but to start our night at 8 might be a little late for them. We will have a stroller so the can sleep in that if they are tired. Having never been to a Moonlight Magic event, I was just wondering if it worth it to go with our young children? Anyone have experiences and advice? TIA!

Makes sense it starts at 8PM but where did you see that? I'm guessing I should read a Member Files or a Newsletter or something as the website still has no details.

About attending with children - I'd probably wait to see additional details on the event and what will be going on. At MK with all the rides and Fantasyland being open it made sense for kids but at Epcot I'd think it might be a little less appealing for the wee little ones. I'd hope they'll have most of Future World open as well as Mexico and Norway for Frozen but that's just a wait and see.

Makes sense it starts at 8PM but where did you see that? I'm guessing I should read a Member Files or a Newsletter or something as the website still has no details.

About attending with children - I'd probably wait to see additional details on the event and what will be going on. At MK with all the rides and Fantasyland being open it made sense for kids but at Epcot I'd think it might be a little less appealing for the wee little ones. I'd hope they'll have most of Future World open as well as Mexico and Norway for Frozen but that's just a wait and see.

Thank you!
I talked to member services the other day and the representative gave the MK Moonlight Magic as an example. I also saw online the Moonlight Magic at MK was from 10-1am.

We are at the Poly so we are just a short monorail ride away if the kids get too cranky. Maybe I'm over thinking it. They would really love to ride Frozen if it's open.

Where is everyone getting that the EPCOT event starts at 8 PM? EPCOT does not close until 9:30 pm at that time of the year (due to the Candlelight Processional schedule) and park close is actually the time the slightly longer than usual Holiday IllumiNations will begin. The earliest the DVC event could start would be 10 PM. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they allowed DVC Members to enter the park without a regular ticket beginning at 8 PM.

For that reason, if Frozen is running (and IMO it's a good bet it will be), there will still be regular guests in the FP+ line as well as in the standby line - until at least park close. I do not think lines for Frozen will be shorter than usual until 10 or later.

FWIW, I don't think I would take young children to this particular event, but families and children vary. I'm sure the event will sell out.

Where is everyone getting that the EPCOT event starts at 8 PM? EPCOT does not close until 9:30 pm at that time of the year (due to the Candlelight Processional schedule) and park close is actually the time the slightly longer than usual Holiday IllumiNations will begin. The earliest the DVC event could start would be 10 PM. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they allowed DVC Members to enter the park without a regular ticket beginning at 8 PM.

For that reason, if Frozen is running (and IMO it's a good bet it will be), there will still be regular guests in the FP+ line as well as in the standby line - until at least park close. I do not think lines for Frozen will be shorter than usual until 10 or later.

FWIW, I don't think I would take young children to this particular event, but families and children vary. I'm sure the event will sell out.

Everyone is just the OP who was told the time by MS. :goodvibes I'd believe that 8PM will be the entry time and yes, it will be with all other day guests until after the fireworks and then the attractions will still have to clear their queues before DVC has it alone.

Thank you!
I talked to member services the other day and the representative gave the MK Moonlight Magic as an example. I also saw online the Moonlight Magic at MK was from 10-1am.

We are at the Poly so we are just a short monorail ride away if the kids get too cranky. Maybe I'm over thinking it. They would really love to ride Frozen if it's open.
You are going to be staying at the Poly early Dec! How wonderful! I was there 5 nights last Dec, and enjoyed it SO much. I hope you do to. I did a split stay with BWV 4 nights, (9 night trip) to hit MK & AK from one, and EPCOT and DHS from the other. It was great!. I loved the Christmas theming and especially the Candlelight Processional, went to it 4 times with 3 different narrators.
But I want to caution you about thinking you are just a short monorail ride away from World Showcase if the kids get cranky. You have to walk all the way back to the park entrance (Future World), then climb the ramp, wait for the monorail, etc. Not quick if kids are crying or cranky.
I think there may not be much to interest them. It will be late, and dark, so you don't really see the decorations as well either. I would recommend Fastpass+ Frozen during the day, and visit the storytellers in Norway, France, Italy, etc. The kids would enjoy that so much more.
Have a great trip.

You are going to be staying at the Poly early Dec! How wonderful! I was there 5 nights last Dec, and enjoyed it SO much. I hope you do to. I did a split stay with BWV 4 nights, (9 night trip) to hit MK & AK from one, and EPCOT and DHS from the other. It was great!. I loved the Christmas theming and especially the Candlelight Processional, went to it 4 times with 3 different narrators.
But I want to caution you about thinking you are just a short monorail ride away from World Showcase if the kids get cranky. You have to walk all the way back to the park entrance (Future World), then climb the ramp, wait for the monorail, etc. Not quick if kids are crying or cranky.
I think there may not be much to interest them. It will be late, and dark, so you don't really see the decorations as well either. I would recommend Fastpass+ Frozen during the day, and visit the storytellers in Norway, France, Italy, etc. The kids would enjoy that so much more.
Have a great trip.

They may not be running the monorail during the party either. It will probably be buses.

We attended the Moonlight Magic event at MK in February with an 8 and 5 year old. They were ok. But like others have said, EPCOT is a lot different for little kids than MK. I would be surprised if the event at EPCOT started at 8. I'd be more inclined to think it would be after the regular park closing like the MK event. I guess I would wait for more details about the event. You can always sign up for it and try it out. If the kids aren't cooperating then you can just leave and go back to the Poly. We really enjoyed the MK event and I would love to be there for the EPOCT one.

Any idea when reservations can be made for the December Epcot dates? I'll be there for the 11th so I definitely want to check it out

Any idea when reservations can be made for the December Epcot dates? I'll be there for the 11th so I definitely want to check it out
For the other after hours events, online booking opened between 60 & 90 days out.

We did the MK one with our 4 year old and 1 year old, we plan to do the Epcot one as well and they will be almost 5 and 2. YOunger one will probably fall asleep in the stroller but it will still be fun. I am hoping for lots of meet n greats :)

Our experience with our own young kids was that switching their bedtimes to take advantage of night events wasn't worth it - we did the Halloween Party one year. Their body clocks just couldn't switch around fast - even with good naps and trying to sleep in in the mornings. And Disney put our kids on "Christmas morning" schedules - i.e. they'd pass out at bedtime, then be bouncing off the walls at 6am. Mine are now college kids, and every kid is different, but you don't see too many little ones out at these things past about 9 who are doing anything other than sleeping in their stroller.

They saw the Main Street Electrical parade once - they were in late middle school or high school by the time they made it that late.

I was at MK Moonlight Magic in March. It was a wonderful experience but there weren't very many children, especially little ones. Lines were super short and the fireworks were spectacular but it may not be worth it if it'll throw off their whole schedule. Plus, Epcot is less kid friendly than MK anyway in my opinion. If you have the option to go to that event adults only, that'd be the way I'd recommend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter