Monorails - Year of a Million Dreams Overlay???

maui2k5

DIS Veteran
I was reading on another popular disney site that a couple of the monorails (Purple & Yellow) have had contraversial colorful overlays put on them to advertise the year of a million dreams. Has anyone seen them or been able to take any photos of them? The couple on the other site only showed monorail purple with the doors open and it is hard to see what they really look like. Seems though, based on the discussion on the other board that this will be one of those love it or hate it designs.

Anyone have photos or seen the new look?

I saw it real quick as we were getting on, and it was okay. I like my monorails blank, but that's just me. We weren't able to get a picture because it was about to leave. It's the pastel colors all over the nose, sort of looks like someone dumped a paint can on it.

Why are they bad? We saw them many times last week and they were neat looking. Some people will always find something to whine about.

I saw one last week, snapped this pic, sorry couldn't get one with the doors closed. It was only on the front car, not the whole length.

102763739-L.jpg

I actually have a great pic. We saw it Thursday night and wanted a pic. We were than surprised we couldn't find it and thought we were imagining it. We were riding in the front of monorail purple and asked the driver about it yesterday...he said it's the other end of this monorail and this is it. No current plans for more. We got out and ran to the back to take a pic. They had trouble getting the monorail doors to open so I have several but no idea how to post pics...I got photo smart (ok not smart but managable :) )

disneyoct06052.jpg

disneyoct06053.jpg

I saw it on Friday but could not get it with the doors open, as it was only on the right side of monorail purple. I figured when we got to MK, I would get the other side - but no overlay was on that side! I think it looks neat!

I can't say they offend me, or that I give a whit one way or the other what the outside of my WDW transportation looks like...

But I have to say my first impression at seeing it made me think it looked like a cheap "Party Store" threw up all over the thing. ;)

Again, I'm not going to write a letter or stammer and complain, it's inconsequential; I just like the sleek way things traditionally look, I guess. I felt the same way about the HCOE overlay at the castle : it looks okay, I'm sure people will enjoy it, but I prefer the "plain" castle, if one could ever dare call it that.

NED

We were at MK today, and the monorail we took back to the TTC, didn't notice the decorations, but the announcements (automated ones) still were "Happiest Celebration on Earth"

Have the announcements changed in the decorated ones?

I was in Epcot yesterday when I saw it on the monorail and snapped a picture right at the last minute.

100_0501.jpg

By the way, I thought it was pretty cool. I like the new signs they have around the parks too. This is one in the ground and did not take a picture of the ones hanging on the poles (clouds with the castle)

100_0534.jpg

Maybe it looks better in person... Anyone know if this overlay is for the next 16 months or just the short term? What will be cool is when (probably sometime in the next 5 yrs or so) Disney gets upgraded monorails like Disneyland will be getting. Last time we were in Disney (late Sept 2006) a few monorail drivers said that the WDW monorails would be upgraded after Disneyland has had theirs a couple of years and worked out the kinks. Apparently the new monorails being built for Disneyland are designed by Disney Imagineering.

I actually like the way the Monorail was designed. To me it shows WDW was thinking outside the box & not just putting a decal sticker like they did for the Happiest Celebration On Earth.

That image of Stitch on the front of the Monorail is nothing new, at least to me. I saw it during the Happiest Celebration On Earth & I think others here would agree with me about that, if they were at WDW during that time.

Stitch is still on a few of the monorails I believe. I know he was on several of them back in Sept 2005 and was still on one or two in late Sept 2006. I think he was put on to help with the advertising of Stitch's Great Escape which was being promoted during the Happiest Celebration on Earth...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter