Mono Relapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are flying you want to call your airline about the wheelchair. I'm flying Delta first time using wheelchair. They wanted to know weight as it will be stored in belly of plane. You can use wheelchair up to actual plane. If you need it the airlines have "wheelchair assist" . They have people who will push the wheelchair thru airport to gate. Tips are gratefully accepted for this

Thanks everyone. Ordered a chair from Amazon. Drive blue streak. Gets decent reviews. She’s very willing. She was in a chair when she was 11 and had great FOTL experience. I managed her expectations due to MANY more accessible lines. She just laughed. So she’s willing and I think it will make the trip much easier for her.

I agree airports are huge and we are flying out of EWR. I’ve rented a car for the moment but was able to snag Boardwalk Villas so I might lose the car. Still mulling it over.

Thanks again!
Expect to be waiting in the regular lines unless you have Fastpasses. Most everything is accessible thru the main/regular lines.
The (very few) that are not usually give a wheelchair return ticket to come back after waiting approximately the time you would have waited in the regular line.

Be sure to check the attractions with warnings with her doctor to figure out which ones she cant go on.

Expect to be waiting in the regular lines unless you have Fastpasses. Most everything is accessible thru the main/regular lines.
The (very few) that are not usually give a wheelchair return ticket to come back after waiting approximately the time you would have waited in the regular line.

Be sure to check the attractions with warnings with her doctor to figure out which ones she cant go on.
We don’t need any sort of special access. We’ve been many times since DD was 11 when more rides had alternate entrances rather than mainstream lines.

Hoping that as this is a relapse, she will be feeling better a bit faster. She’s not nearly as sick as she was in March. She’s super bummed because she is training and showing a friend’s young horse for the summer and obviously no riding. Last two summer horse show seasons her horse was injured. But it could be worse!

If you are flying you want to call your airline about the wheelchair. I'm flying Delta first time using wheelchair. They wanted to know weight as it will be stored in belly of plane. You can use wheelchair up to actual plane. If you need it the airlines have "wheelchair assist" . They have people who will push the wheelchair thru airport to gate. Tips are gratefully accepted for this
Thank you!

Don’t be surprised if the airline doesn’t ask any questions about the wheelchair except whether it is manual or power.

We’ve been flying with a wheelchair for more than 20 years and have always informed them that we have a passenger in our group with a wheelchair.
We’ve never been asked/told the airline about the weight of the chair.

Don’t be surprised if the airline doesn’t ask any questions about the wheelchair except whether it is manual or power.

We’ve been flying with a wheelchair for more than 20 years and have always informed them that we have a passenger in our group with a wheelchair.
We’ve never been asked/told the airline about the weight of the chair.
Thank you Sue!

@suemom2kay - Don't forget Toy Story Mania (used to be Toy Story Midway Mania) - it whips around corners pretty fast, but maybe that's still OK for her? Also, Alien Swirling Saucers (also in TSL @ HS) can also sling you around in the car a bit as well - just a reminder :)

FOTL is not always the norm these days, even with a wheelchair and/or DAS - if it's super busy and crowded, be prepared to wait :) Oh - and I almost forgot - remember, because she will be sitting in the chair, concentrate on getting sunscreen on the tops of her ears, shoulders, arms, backs of hands, and the tops of her thighs and feet.

I hope y'all have a great trip - maybe you can focus more on some of the non-Parks stuff, like Hoop-Dee-Doo out at FW, or a girl's only shopping day at Disney Springs, or just floating the lazy river at one of the water parks! Maybe make some new mother-daughter traditions! :) (BIG fan of those - my adult daughter and I make "girls only" trips a few times a year!)

@suemom2kay - Don't forget Toy Story Mania (used to be Toy Story Midway Mania) - it whips around corners pretty fast, but maybe that's still OK for her? Also, Alien Swirling Saucers (also in TSL @ HS) can also sling you around in the car a bit as well - just a reminder :)

FOTL is not always the norm these days, even with a wheelchair and/or DAS - if it's super busy and crowded, be prepared to wait :) Oh - and I almost forgot - remember, because she will be sitting in the chair, concentrate on getting sunscreen on the tops of her ears, shoulders, arms, backs of hands, and the tops of her thighs and feet.

I hope y'all have a great trip - maybe you can focus more on some of the non-Parks stuff, like Hoop-Dee-Doo out at FW, or a girl's only shopping day at Disney Springs, or just floating the lazy river at one of the water parks! Maybe make some new mother-daughter traditions! :) (BIG fan of those - my adult daughter and I make "girls only" trips a few times a year!)
I think everyone is misunderstanding my original post. I told my daughter from the get go no FOTL. When she was 11 she had 6 casts on her ankle in one year (you should’ve seen her fly in crutches, she turned heads!😂). I made sure she understood that things are a lot different now. She laughed cause she really doesn’t care. Just excited to do the last “Mommy & Me” trip before she goes away to college in September. She doesn’t want to cancel and so far the relapse is much more mild than the acute infection in March.

Thanks for the tip on sunscreen. That FL sun is no joke!

Only if she shares bodily fluids with someone... which I forbid! :rotfl2:

You're forbidding her to cough or sneeze? Hopefully she won't be contagious when you go - airplanes are little cesspools of recirculated air. (And the kissing disease thing is an old wives' tale - we had a couple of related cases at our high school, from sitting near one another in class.)

Would she still be contagious?
Casual contact as well as coughing and sneezing isn't likely to pass the virus to others, it usually requires more direct contact with saliva such as sharing utensils, a drink straw, lip gloss, etc. It's unlikely she is fully out of the contagious stage, but also impossible to suspend life forever; mono can be passed for several months, and even then the virus remains dormant in the body for life and can occasionally resurface "active" and be passed to others. There is no way to fully guarantee being non-contagious. I'm sure OP doesn't plan to travel with an actively "sick" child (probably older teen or young adult) and it sounds like they plan to take their time and rest as needed.

Enjoy your vacation!

You're forbidding her to cough or sneeze? Hopefully she won't be contagious when you go - airplanes are little cesspools of recirculated air. (And the kissing disease thing is an old wives' tale - we had a couple of related cases at our high school, from sitting near one another in class.)
She’s not coughing and/or sneezing. Please show me the study where it is consistently casually passed. Mono is contagious for 6 to possibly 18 months. I’m not locking her up for 18 months. This board is about accessibility and I was simply getting an opinion on utilizing a wheelchair to make the trip doable without wearing her out. As this is a relapse, her symptoms are much milder, although that is none of your business.

My DD is almost 18 years old and knows how to prevent the spread of a common illness that is primarily spread through saliva.

Thanks for your admonishment though.

Mono is primarily spread by contact with saliva.
This screenshot is from the CDC website about Epstein-Barr (the most common cause of mono).
https://www.cdc.gov/epstein-barr/about-ebv.html#transmission
Hospitalized patients with mono are cared for with Standard Precautions, no special precautions.
When I was working in Public Health and talking to teens who had mono, many had contact with saliva in ways they didn’t want their parents to know about.
Some of the more common ways they hid were kissing (when they weren’t supposed to dating), sharing beer or cigarettes (when they were under age).

I’m going to close this at this time since the OP had her questions answered. 758ACF5B-110E-4F34-B541-52F1F15C5E7B.png

Casual contact as well as coughing and sneezing isn't likely to pass the virus to others, it usually requires more direct contact with saliva such as sharing utensils, a drink straw, lip gloss, etc. It's unlikely she is fully out of the contagious stage, but also impossible to suspend life forever; mono can be passed for several months, and even then the virus remains dormant in the body for life and can occasionally resurface "active" and be passed to others. There is no way to fully guarantee being non-contagious. I'm sure OP doesn't plan to travel with an actively "sick" child (probably older teen or young adult) and it sounds like they plan to take their time and rest as needed.

Enjoy your vacation!
Thank you!

Mono is primarily spread by contact with saliva.
This screenshot is from the CDC website about Epstein-Barr (the most common cause of mono).
https://www.cdc.gov/epstein-barr/about-ebv.html#transmission
Hospitalized patients with mono are cared for with Standard Precautions, no special precautions.
When I was working in Public Health and talking to teens who had mono, many had contact with saliva in ways they didn’t want their parents to know about.
Some of the more common ways they hid were kissing (when they weren’t supposed to dating), sharing beer or cigarettes (when they were under age).

I’m going to close this at this time since the OP had her questions answered. View attachment 415472
Thank you Sue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter