• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mom's 50th birthday at DLR?

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
In March mom will be turning 50! She is a huge Disneyland fan so we will be having her birthday there. I could use your opinions on how to make it even more special.
We will be staying at the GCH, and doing 3 days in park and one down day to do whatever.
I was thinking of maybe doing APs since my sister will be celebrating her 16th birthday that year and would probably love to go there for her birthday.
DH and I will be financing all of this since they don't have much money. Except I expect my older sister and her husband to pay their way if they want to come. I have no problem treating my mom and younger siblings, who aren't even old enough to have jobs.
I know there are a lot of variables since it is so far out, but I would love some fun ideas to make it extra special so I can start budgeting and saving.
I have listed some ideas I have.
Blue Bayou or Carthay Circle.
VIP tour for one day.
Spa day for the girls (during the non disney day)

Last edited:
You can do an in-room celebration to have your room decorated for your moms birthday.

Character dining's are always fun!

It's Mickey and Minnies birthday too, so your mom could take a picture with them in their birthday outfits.

Lots of people DisneyBound on Dapper Day; you can put together a Birthday Dapper Day outfit.

Just as couple ideas :-)
Kriss :tink:

I did WOC dessert party for my 50th. I didn't even tell anyone when I reserved it, but the waiter came to our table and said he heard it was my birthday. I was also wished a happy birthday when going through the turnstile, so I think my birthday showed up when I used my AP. I thought WOC dessert party was perfect for me.

The other thing that I would have enjoyed would have been Carthay Circle. I have only eaten there a couple times, but I had stellar service both times.

I've been told that the chocolate cake at Steakhouse 55 makes for a good birthday treat, too. I think I am going there for my next birthday with my coworker who has the same birthday as I do.

Chef's Table at Napa Rose

Dining Package or Dessert Party for a show (we've done two packages at Carthay, and one at Blue Bayou, and they were all wonderful)

I think a lot of it depends on budget (or lack thereof). If there's no budget, some people on here love to daydream of all the things they would love to do ;)

Make sure you get your mom a button saying that she is Celebrating her birthday! The birthday buttons could be found at City Hall or at some stores if you ask.

I haven't been to DLR yet, but I've also been looking for birthday suggestions for my trip and some of the great suggestions I've had have been the 24 (!!) layer chocolate cake at Steakhouse 55, a World Of Colour dessert party, or the Chef's counter at the Napa Rose, they all look pretty amazing for a birthday celebration! ^.^

In March mom will be turning 50! She is a huge Disneyland fan so we will be having her birthday there. I could use your opinions on how to make it even more special.
We will be staying at the GCH, and doing 3 days in park and one down day to do whatever.
I was thinking of maybe doing APs since my sister will be celebrating her 16th birthday that year and would probably love to go there for her birthday.
DH and I will be financing all of this since they don't have much money. Except I expect my older sister and her husband to pay their way if they want to come. I have no problem treating my mom and younger siblings, who aren't even old enough to have jobs.
I know there are a lot of variables since it is so far out, but I would love some fun ideas to make it extra special so I can start budgeting and saving.
I have listed some ideas I have.
Blue Bayou or Carthay Circle.
VIP tour for one day.
Spa day for the girls (during the non disney day)
For APs, I would check the costs. Remember to also check blackout dates because that will have an impact on which AP you will need to buy and how much money!

Special things I can think of (which may have already been mentioned):
  • Tea at Disneyland Hotel (I took my mom and sister here for my mom's birthday and it was lots of fun)
  • WoC Dessert Party (if WoC is up and running by then)
  • Riding in the front of the Monorail (may have to wait a train or two for this one)
  • Riding in front of the Railroad - you have to ask the CMs and hope they are taking people then. And make sure you have closed toe shoes
  • A tour - Walk in Walt's Footsteps always has great reviews. Also if they like trains, The Grand Circle tour is well reviewed.
  • March will have Food & Wine, maybe one of those special events if you are there at that time.
  • In-Room celebrations

Been celebrating birthdays 50 and MORE! for several years now..(!!) You can get the birthday pin at check in at the GCH (and that is a great choice!). LOVE Steakhouse 55 and yes, the 24 layer chocolate cake! YUM (and we even had leftover for the next day....YUM again.)!! Just go from there and let your Mom pick whatever she wants to do.
Great way to celebrate birthdays, big and small...

... let your Mom pick whatever she wants to do.
Great way to celebrate birthdays, big and small...
This is a really fun suggestion! We've done this for birthdays -- the "Whatever You Want to Do" day can be really special, no matter how silly or how grand the things on the list are. Ask your mom about all the things she's always wanted to do, but never has (because of time, money, fear about looking silly, etc.), then plan out that list to help her check things off. Make sure to take plenty of photos and make a photo book later to commemorate this celebration.

Are you getting a suite? A couple of rooms? You might see how much it would be to add on concierge. I did that when we went as a family of 5 and it was worth it at that time. Gave people who wanted to stay in the hotel sometimes (like my 80-year-old mom) a place to hang out with food and drink always available. It's not cheap but it saves on buying breakfast and you do get beverages (including beer and wine) and snacks all day plus sandwiches, desserts and hot appetizers. If you had a suite, you could have more people on one concierge booking but I don't think they let you add concierge to a suite until you check in, and then it's only if available.

I've celebrated many milestone birthdays at DLR! I go every year for my birthday--in fact, I just got back yesterday :)

Right now, Disney has the four day park hopper for a good price so it might be worth it to get that instead of an AP.

I agree with Concierge. If you are at the hotel, it is worth it. If you are gone all day, it might not be worth it.

We went one year, my daughter in law was studying for the bar, and spent her days in the E-Ticket lounge. She said it was great to study with access to food, drinks, and wine!

I spent my 50th at DLR celebrating with family (I actually just celebrated my 60th there). On my 50th I loved getting a tiara and sash that said birthday princess. I wore them all day on my birthday and felt fabulous and had a lot of celebratory fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter