'Mom' is home...finally, a day late....

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
Okay guys, now I have my own mini-travel nightmare. But, more on that later. Just wanted to check in, say Mom is back, at her own computer. Give you all the details, at least the ones fit to print within guidelines, later on.

Ugh--Diane, were you scheduled to fly home yesterday? It was AWFUL here, as you probably well know. I can't wait to hear the tale, because I'm bracing for our own, in a few weeks.

Welcome home, and I hope you guys had a great time (travel woes, and jellyfish stings aside).

You were traveling in yesterday's weather? Poor you! Welcome back, and Happy New Year!

Ha! You think yours was bad? Ask bavaria - I "whined" to her in a PM.

Oh, and I win. I fractured a rib.

We were scheduled to flyb out of FtL at 8:40...got our nice A19, 20 and 21 boarding passes like a good girl. Knew it was going to be snowy, but they really figured we would make it into TFGreen. We left on time, but by the time we got to NE, we ended up circling TFGreen for almost an hour. They told us they had to plow the runway again. After that hour of circling, they came back to tell us that a plow had somehow hit a piece of equip that was needed to land in that weather, so we were headed to Philly to refuel. When we landed in Philly, we were given two options...
1. get off the plane in Philly, but with no checked bags..the bags were going back to Ft.L on that plane. You could get a room for the night and rebook a flight for the morning.
OR..
2. stay on the plane, and return to Ft.L, with the bags and rebook, and yes, get a room for the night.
Dh got on the phone, while on the plane, at the gate, rebooked us for this morning's first flight out of FtL. Then he called hotels.com and booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express at FtL. He was not a happy camper. About 3/4 of the plane got off...the rest of us were tired, hungry, and had to use the bathroom. They finally let us off, for 15-20 mins, to grab something to eat. You should try balancing a tray full of Burger King, running back to the gate, so the plane doesn't leave you there.
We finally took off...the new crew, and about 25 passengers. If one more FA came over and asked what I would like...well, it wouldn't have been very nice...and that's all I'm going to say about that!!! Back to FtL we flew. Of course my dad and step-mom were having phone issues, and had no idea what we were yapping about, so going back to their place was a no go. We arrived at FtL, got our bags, dh got our boarding passes issued for the next day...of course, B18,19 and 20!!!

We found the hotel shuttle, after much confusions. Seems the hotel didn't have a reservation for us...even though hotel.com took dh's cc info and charged him $200!!!! That will bear looking into. But, when we got to the hotel, they had a room for us, at $99!! We walked around, looking for someplace to eat, finally ended up at Wendy's. Happy New Year!!! Went to bed at 8:30.

Got up at 5 to shower, and get downstairs for the complimentary breakfast..nothing like cold, dried out scrambled eggs to start the day. And of course the shuttle ran every hour, on the half hour. I wanted to leave at 7 but had to leave at 6:30...giving us way too long a wait at the gate. We got to check in the bags, the CSR told us she was going to reprint our boarding passes since what we had wasn't right....looked exactly the same as what she printed out, but who am I to say. Got to security and yep...got up close and really personal with the TSA...we had flown too many times in 24 hrs!!! It was actually quite funny...seems we all had the same experience. We actually had a good time..those of us who were reflying to Providence. The other passengers couldn't believe it when they found out why we all knew each other.

The thing that bears looking into is this...one passenger, on our ill-fated flight, told us that he knew of other people that had flown into Providence, at about the same time we were in the area. Most of us feel that SW wanted that particular plane, and crew, back down in Ft. Lauderdale, that night, not trapped up in RI...so they made us fly back there rather than wait a bit for Prov to reopen, if it was closed for that long to begin with.
Between the poor attitude of the gate attendents at Philly and the fact that they would not unload our bags, it left a really bad taste in our collective mouths for SW. I know of at least 10 people who will be composing letters to SW, complaining of our treatment.
Before any of you get started on 'it's not the airline's fault'...yeah, I get it. Weather happens. I have no problem with not being able to get into Providence to begin with. But, it was very clear that the placement of that plane was much more important than the passengers...all they wanted were their bags, in hand, so they could go about their business. I'm sure the issue was lack of baggage handlers at PHilly, but again, not my problem. SW decided to not try for Providence at that time or wait an hour or so. They sat on the ground, kibitzing around, they could have removed our bags.
Of course, it was amazing to see all the bags, that were on the original flight, arrive, with us, on our flight this morning.

But, alls well that ends well. Just not a great return home. And my dh is not a flexible person. He was miserable..and made it very clear to everyone, especially me. My dd was fine once she got over the fact that she was missing her NYE party with her friends.
So..that's my story. Not major, not unless you had to go through it with a cranky dh.

Well that is a different kind of a travel story. It does sound like a placement issue. :(

Welcome home Mom

kaytieeldr, how did you fracture a rib? How are you doing?
Okay, I know this is Diane's thread and I don't mean to hijack it, but... simply leaning to the right over the arm of a chair at the airport. Go figure. When the doctor's office left the message, they said the x-ray also showed a healed fracture of another rib. I do NOT remember that one at all!

goofy4tink said:
know of at least 10 people who will be composing letters to SW, complaining of our treatment.
Before any of you get started on 'it's not the airline's fault'...yeah, I get it. Weather happens. I have no problem with not being able to get into Providence to begin with. But, it was very clear that the placement of that plane was much more important than the passengers
Right. Weather can't be controlled by the airline. Employee attitudes and behaviors can. You want help with that letter?

Diane,

It does sound like they did not want that plane stuck up here. Although, the weather was just about done by 7 or 8, so it's not like the snow went all night again. But, that's beside the point. Sorry you had such a trying trip home.

Diane - so sorry to hear of your "adventures" What time were you supposed to land here - I'll see if any of the local papers mention anything about a runway problem or the airport being temporarily closed. Glad you're finally home.

Eek sorry to hear of your "adventure".

Would you ground me if I tell you that I left FLL yesterday as well, but was home in time to celebrate NYE? If it helps, have a bit of an adventure on the plane (which, if repeated, would likely have me deemed a "poopyhead").

Diane - so sorry to hear of your "adventures" What time were you supposed to land here - I'll see if any of the local papers mention anything about a runway problem or the airport being temporarily closed. Glad you're finally home.
Hmmm, might be interesting to see if Green did shut down and for how long. Should have landed around 11:30ish.

Eek sorry to hear of your "adventure".

Would you ground me if I tell you that I left FLL yesterday as well, but was home in time to celebrate NYE? If it helps, have a bit of an adventure on the plane (which, if repeated, would likely have me deemed a "poopyhead").

Are you 'poopyheading' me??? When did you leave and on what airline??? And where did you go?? We left at 8:40, supposed to land at 11:30ish, got to Green airspace by 11 and started going in circles!!! I am not amused my friend, not amused.

Are you 'poopyheading' me???

NOOO!! It was just that when I told of my inflight adventure to Bavaria, she warned that if I posted it here, I would be called a poopyhead.

When did you leave and on what airline??? And where did you go?? We left at 8:40, supposed to land at 11:30ish, got to Green airspace by 11 and started going in circles!!! I am not amused my friend, not amused.

Air Canada from FLL to YYZ. We left at about 2:15pm (late due to the late arrival of our air craft). The morning flight into YYZ was, I think, on time. We got to fly out of the new (at least to us) terminal.

Well I am glad you are home safe and sound,even though it sounds like you had a rather lousy start to the new year. What the heck happened to Southwest's touted service?

Kaytieelder-so you fractured one rib, and learned you had another one in the past that you don't remember? Ouch! That is not good at all. Are you not drinking enough milk or something? I hope you take it easy and feel better soon.

And here I was feeling sorry for myself because I tried to dent my sister's kitchen floor with my head this morning.:headache: Maybe we all need to stay home for a while.

Really? Do tell! Denting a floor with a head sounds intriguing (although denting it with someone else's head, even moreso ;))

Maybe we all need to stay home for a while.

I just got home from a very useless, very taxing trip and am trying to pack for a month long trip to Asia. Plus I am snowed in at the moment.

I would love to stay home for a change! And ouch, kaytieeldr, those hurt, and they continue to hurt for a looooooong time, I am sorry to say. Hope that you feel better!

Goofy4Tink.... that really stinks. We live in Warwick, not to far from Green and if it is any consolation it was really bad here yesterday. Almost blizzard like with the snow and wind blowing around. It started around 9 and by 10-11am the snow was coming down real fast.

Just glad to hear that you made it back OK. :thumbsup2

Really? Do tell! Denting a floor with a head sounds intriguing (although denting it with someone else's head, even moreso ;))

Nothing intriguing, I'm afraid. I fell over someone's shoes, and my head smacked first the wall then the floor. My middle name is NOT Grace.:upsidedow Not anywhere near as bad as a broken rib, but I'm pretty stiff, and I'm sure I will really feel it tomorrow.

2009 is a barrel of monkeys already!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter