Moderate vs Value for Solo Trip

MADnNOLA

DIS Veteran
Hello Ya'll! :wave2:

I am looking at booking a 9 day trip in May, and am starting to rethink my resort choice. I have stayed at the Values (Pop and ASMu) and really enjoyed them. But those trips have been short 4 day trips of drop and run. I did not spend any time at the resorts other than a few visits to the food courts.

This trip, I plan on spending some time at the pool and just relaxing, not being on the go all the time. I know the Values have secondary/smaller pools that are more quiet than the main/big pools. Are the Moderate pool areas worth the price of the upgrade? I won't spend much time in my room. So I am really looking at the other amenities of the Moderates may offer, such as spa services, TS restaurants, etc.

I have been purchasing Disney Gift Cards to pay for my trip, and have enough for the upgrade. That being said, should I use them or save the $$ and use what extra I have for gifts and/or a future inevitable trip?

Also, I live in the French Quarter of New Orleans, so am shying away from POR/FQ and looking at CS and CB. Does anyone have any preference between these two? (Also hoping for a % discount to be announced soon!)

Thanks for any advice! I love this board as it has helped me a great deal! :thumbsup2

For adults, I highly suggest CSR. They have a spa and workout area, adult nightclub and a TS restuarant. The main pool has a great bar and they also have quiet pools if you do not want to hang at the main pool.

I find the moderate pools to be much more relaxing than the pools at the value resorts. The value resort pools are fun and nicely themed, but there's a lot of concrete. The moderate pools have more landscaping and green areas that make it feel more like a 'resort' pool to me.

I haven't stayed at CBR so I can't weigh in there, but I loved the pools at CSR, POR, and POFQ. If shade is important, I think POR offers the most of the choices I've been to, and I love the deck of the Muddy Rivers pool bar. The CSR pool is nice and relaxing, too. CSR has the biggest hot tub at WDW. The POFQ pool is nice also, but I understand that the theme isn't the one you want.

I go to WDW 4-6 times a year and alot of those trips are solo trips. I usually stay in a moderate. Just not a big fan of the Values. The moderates are so much more relaxing, have nice covered bus stops, larger rooms, ceiling fans, coffee makers, most have queen size beds, nicer pools, hot tubs, pool slides, and most have TS restaurants. CSR is the only moderate that has a health club and spa services. CSR also has a lounge that is adults only after certain hours and both a pool side and a lake side bar. I've stayed there multiple times as a solo. It's one of my favorite resorts and is perfect for solos. They also have probably the best bus service on property.

However, I'll be at WDW solo too in May and am considering Wyndham Bonnet Creek for my trip this time. I recently found I can rent a fully equipped one bedroom villa for the same price that an Annual Pass discounted Value resort room would cost. If annual pass discounts run what they usually do for that time of year Pop should run $879.00 for nine nights and CSR would be about $1600.00. The quote I got for nine nights in a one bedroom at Bonnet Creek is $896.00. Rack rate for Pop would be $1474.00 and $2284.00 for CSR. Even if I used an Annual Pass discount (usually the best discount for any solo trip) for a Value or a Moderate, renting at Wyndham Bonnet Creek would still be about half the price of a Moderate and about the same as a Value, and alot cheaper than rack rate, which for a much bigger and much nicer deluxe villa sounds alot better.:rotfl:

I'd be renting a car anyway, am not interested in the DDP, or EMHs, so it seems like a no brainer to me. A tiny one room (plus a bathroom) vs a villa with fully equipped kitchen, dining area, living room, seperate bedroom with king size bed, bathroom with whirlpool tub, seperate shower, washer/dryer, balcony, deluxe resort amenities, nicer pools, pool slides, hot tubs, lazy river, and mini golf.

I'd have to agree that CSR sounds like a good moderate resort choice for you. Everything is walkable, the quiet pools are lovely, and the main pool is awesome.

POR/FQ is really my favorite resort in the mod category. CBR is big.

Have you ever stayed at ASMusic? I love the piano pool. It is seriously one of my favorite quiet pools on property and I have visited A LOT of pools through my DVC pool hopping priveleges and my various resort stays.

Suggestion - what do you think about a split stay - say 4 nights value and 5 nights mod? Your trip is certainly long enough to do that and it would give you a bit of a variety.

Enjoy your planning. Solo trips are so fun and relaxing.

I'd also agree to doing CSR if you want a pool to hang at. The Dig Site hot tub is fabulous - they have jets at ankle level, which after all that walking was incredible. The hot tub I tried at Stormalong Bay did not have ankle jets. And values don’t have hot tubs at all.

A heads-up though, when I stayed there in May I had a horrible time with mold in the bathrooms of rooms in Ranchos 7B. After 3 different rooms, could finally breathe in a 4th room in Cabanas 8A.

Moderates you should check out are Coronado and Port Orleans Riverside.
If you want to treat your self, check out the deluxe resorts in the Epcot area.:sunny:

If you discount POR and POFQ as a single and narrow it down to CSR and CBR as a single, CSR hands down.

Less walking time alone, better food, pools, lounges, etc.

I love POR on my solo trips, but I would never hesitate to suggest CSR for a solo trip. Also, the official thread is almost as well maintained as ours, and the resort looks beautiful.

Thanks Everyone!

I do think I will go with CSR! I have been looking at the Disney site and the thread here, and the advice from friends. I really like the resort. When I saw the entrance last visit (on the bus on my way to ASMusic) I was very impressed.

Now to get a discount, either rooms only or free dining! I am hoping they do so in the next week as has been historically the last two years. :goodvibes

CSR and POR are both great resorts. I like POR better thou. I think its prettier overall, and not as big. The food court is better too. also since your going solo, the boat to DTD is nice and convenient. You can go whenever you want, its just a boat ride away. Love that!
Which ever you choose im use it will be great. Have fun!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Another option to consider might be the Swan or Dolphin. It is at about the same price as a mod but gets you a better location (Epcot resort) and many many more food options within walking distance.

I'm a fellow Louisiana resident and we absolutely love POR. It is stunning!! The grounds are beautiful, the pool is awesome, food court is great with the make your own pasta, the full service rest. is great and hehaw Bob is a hoot! They also have the boat to DD, which is a nice change from the bus. I've never stayed at CRS, so I dont really have any advice on that resort.
We have stayed at CBR and did not care much for that resort- it was simply too big. If you need an internal bus- there is a problem! (We prefer to walk to the food court and pools.) Good luck! Any choice will be a good one, because you will be at disney!

I enjoy CSR, but it is a convention hotel so you may want to consider that. For my solos, I stay POR or Beach Club. Love to be able to walk to Epcot and HS!

I'm most often a Value person, because I really do like them and don't spend much time there other than sleeping. I go solo quite a bit too. For pool scene though, I'd totally move up to Mods. In general, the Mods I've stayed at a few times have more of a "hang out and relax" feel, where Pop and the AS pools feel like "Hey kids! Lets have a blast!" to me.

you will def enjoy cs resort. the grounds are beautiful there and very different than any other resort. i go on several solo trips too, and it's nice to have time to wander around and explore the resorts some, which is hard to go with a big group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter