Mod vs. deluxe

I prefer the mod pricetag and I prefer the deluxe resorts;)

I can happily stay at Port Orleans or Coronado Springs which are both mods. However, if you don't mind the extra expense then the Deluxes are lovely properties. It really depends on your budget and what you are looking for out of your resort.

I think this really depends on what you are looking for. Most of the deluxes are beautiful and have additional amenities, and some have excellent locations, but this all comes with a price tag. I would suggest coming up with a budget and then looking at all of the resorts to see which one you like best within your budget. You should also consider the fact that in your first trip you may not spend a lot of time at the resort if you plan on trying to see a lot at the parks.

We have done values, mods, deluxes and had spectacular vacations at all of them! Do I prefer deluxe? Sure, but often it is go and stay at a mod or don't go at all, so I choose mod!

I agree with picking a budget and going from there but since you asked, I prefer Deluxe. The locations are nicer for the most part, I like the interior halls or at least not the motel style look (SSR and OKW have exterior but in a different feel of the Mods), the pools are better, and most of all, the private balcony. I will note that the resort itself is a huge part of my enjoyment while on vacation so I stay where I'm comfortable to enjoy for more than just sleeping. Don't forget to keep an eye out for the discounts which might help your decision!

Deluxe is the only way to go IMO. I have stayed at every level for years now and will only stay Deluxe. And now that I have stayed deluxe CL, I can never go back :rotfl2:

Deluxe is a big step up in service and amenities IMO. The front desk a d concierge can work wonders at deluxe that I have not seen at moderate.

Deluxe is a big step up in service and amenities IMO. The front desk a d concierge can work wonders at deluxe that I have not seen at moderate.

I would absolutely agree with this. Deluxe went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable, knew exactly where everything was and make any changes we needed (esp. when it came to dining, they were fabulous). I agree with setting your budget and determining which best suits those needs. Personally we LOVED staying a deluxe but would not be something we could do on every trip. For us the sizes of the rooms (having 3 adults, 1 teen and 1 child) and location were the big sellers!

emerald51362 said:
Looking at POR and WL. How are the pools at each

We're deciding between the same two for may. Stayed at CSR last time and felt it was too spread out with our 2 and 4 year old. So now POFQ or WL with a $750 difference.

We're leaning toward WL lodge just because on top of he regular amenities my sil will be there with our niece, so it will probably be easier if the kids are closer bs at different resorts. But it's $750!!! Lol

emerald51362 said:

POR pool is fine although nothing special in my opinion. There is a nice covered pool bar and a ton tub which is nice. I will say for a Deluxe I was disappointed in the pool at WL. It's very small and there seems to be less seating than normal. I also found the slide at WL to be very boring! I will say while sitting at the pool at WL the surroundings are spectacular.

To me, Port Orleans is just as good as a deluxe with two exceptions:
1) The location isn't as good as some of the deluxe resorts.
2) The rooms are a bit smaller/sparse.

We are currently Disney Vacation Club members, so we don't have to choose between the moderates and deluxe places now. However, if I were to ever give up my DVC, I would probably go back to staying at POR.

To me, the grounds and overall "vibe" of POR is every bit as good as most - if not all - of the deluxe hotels. To me, that is the most important thing.

DD14 would probably not care for the pool at POFQ. What parks will u be visiting? Budget? How long of a stay?

We have stayed at both, and WL wins in all aspects for us, no question about it! Because you asked about the pool, I will say that POR pool seemed to be quite a trek from where we were in Aligator Bayou. The WL is right there in the courtyard, pretty close from any room. POR seemed crowded and noisy when we were there. The two trips we spent at WL were peaceful and relaxing. Enjoy your trip!!!

The pool at the WL is gorgeous. The pool at POR is just ok, in my opinion. One big advantage is that the whole resort is under one roof. If it's raining, really hot, or cold, this is a nice feature.

Unlike others on the thread, we're DVC members and have stayed in each of the DVC villas, the deluxe resorts, and deluxe club levels and mods. I have to say that we really like the mod resorts a lot! If I never stayed deluxe again, I'd be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter