• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mobiles? Blackberrys?

Olaf

DIS Cast Member
Does anyone know if the ship stays in range of any towers for a 4-day? If not, what about other means of communication. We're not going to be able to go if my husband's office can't get hold of him immediately during the cruise.

the only days you're near a tower is when you in port at cape canaveral or in nassau. when you're at sea or at castaway cay, you're out of luck. they can always call the ship directly, which won't help, if you're on castaway cay.

They can call your cabin 24/7, and your cabin phone even has voice mail.
Other than renting a satellite phone (which is bulky), there will be times he will be unreachable.
Vacation means you are off, what would his company do if he was on jury duty? The judge isn't going to let him have a cell phone on, and they sure aren't going to take a message for him in the courtroom.

We were on the Western Carb. in Febuary my husband only turned his cell phone in the ports. We made 5 (remember that number) quick calls.
His cell bill was $80 more than usual due to roaming charges. Our next cruise no cell phones!!!!!!!!!!!!

tvguy said:
Vacation means you are off, what would his company do if he was on jury duty? The judge isn't going to let him have a cell phone on, and they sure aren't going to take a message for him in the courtroom.

He's exempt from jury duty. He's in the Air Force, and the general is not going to let him go unless he can be contacted immediately. It's frustrating for me, but I don't make the rules. :rolleyes:

I'll call DCL today. I was hoping that it would be in range, that's why I posted. I guess that's kinda silly when I think about it. Thanks to those who responded.

We rented a sat phone for our cruise and that worked out great for my husband. It only works "when it can see the sky" aka outside, on deck, at the pool, etc. In the room, people can call you on your phone in the room, so dinner, showtimes and other indoor activities would be your only problem. Is there a sat blackberry you could rent? I would hate to have to cancel your trip, DCL is awesome!

Good luck,

Susy

I swear if my boss told me he had to be in touch with me my blackberry would go for an accidental swim over the side of the ship! ;) I bring it with me places but the thing is an electronic leash.

Good luck!

you can call and be called from the ships phones- expensive but probably less than renting a sattelite phone. Some portable satellite phones won't work offshore as the service is biased for where the companies think people will be- mostly on land. You'd probably be close enough for them to work, but I do know in the middle of the atlantic or pacific you're out of luck. The Disney Cruise site will give phone rates and numbers to call the ship. I'm thinking $2.50 or $4.50 a minute but I can't remember.

Jean and Bob

Can they communicate via email? Unfortunately, I used to have a very, very needy boss, on our first cruise we communicated 2x a day via email & IM. I would log on at 9am, and respond to all his wants & needs, set up meetings, etc. and then log on again around 5pm. He also logged on at the same times & we were able to IM. It seemed to work, he was not all that happy that he could not get me the 24/7 that was used to but I was able to make it work.

I would go for the internet approach; we paid a lump sum for the trip for internet access, and then set up a free gmail account. I checked in twice a day, and then made a (very expensive) call from ship when I had to.

My blackberry, incidentially, worked in Key West, but not anywhere else.

I can empathize with all of you. I've been in the situation where I had a boss who needed to know my where abouts 24/7/365. Wonder why I don't work there anymore!?!?!?

In my current position, I made my boundries known right off the bat. I am on vacation. This is a chance for me to rest, recharge and refocus. I will not answer e-mail, voicemail or snailmail. If you force me to take my BB, it will have a tragic accident and fall off the back of the Magic. (Oops, we hit a bump!! :rotfl2: ) My Team know to call me for two reasons and two reasons only. The building has burnt down. (Which means I'm heading to Guest Services to see if I can do a double.) Or, the situation was so bad it is worthy of a CSI episode.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter