MNSSHP - camera setting question

vtwep

DIS Veteran
I have a Nikon D50 (with the 18-200 VR lens). Love it. I also have a flash attachment for it that "overrides" the standard built-in flash. For those with similar D-SLR type cameras, what do you recommend for night photography in the parks, especially with all the parades/characters at MNSSHP? I'm nowhere near a "real" photographer...just want to make sure I get some really great shots/memories for my daughter (and us!) from this trip and from the MNSSHP. Night photos with all the lights, costumes, decorations, etc, can be really great...just want to make sure I have my camera set up correctly.

Thanks!

I just went to MNSSHP last night and did use my D50- have not really looked at the pictures yet so this advice may be seriously flawed - :lmao: Follow at your own risk.

If you have a faster lens that the 18-200vr I would take it with you. I just used my 50mm/f1.8 and the on camera flash because I was just not in the mood to lug a bunch or gear around until midnight. :rolleyes1 The 18-200 will be pretty slow for a lot of the parade and decorations type shots even with vr. The park is fairly dark for the show.

Assuming you are only taking what you listed- D50,18-200vr, & Speedlight- I would probably set up for non-flash shots (Parade, Castle, Decor, Etc) in Shutter Priority at ISO 1600 at maybe 1/50 Sec- keeping in mind you will have to use the wide end of the 18-200 probably keeping it zoomed out fairly wide unless you have a super steady hand. Then for simplicity I would just use an auto mode like the Portrait Mode for Character/People shots where you want to use the flash. That way when you go back and forth from flash to non flash shots all you have to remember (and figure out in the dark) it to turn on/off the flash and change one camera setting. Flash should be in TTL mode- not sure if auto mode on the camera would override that or not.

And you may want to carry a small pen light or pocket flashlight to see the settings- the D50 does not have a backlit display- something I forgot about last night that kept irritating me.

Hope this helps some- good luck.

I have a Nikon D50 (with the 18-200 VR lens). Love it. I also have a flash attachment for it that "overrides" the standard built-in flash. For those with similar D-SLR type cameras, what do you recommend for night photography in the parks, especially with all the parades/characters at MNSSHP? I'm nowhere near a "real" photographer...just want to make sure I get some really great shots/memories for my daughter (and us!) from this trip and from the MNSSHP. Night photos with all the lights, costumes, decorations, etc, can be really great...just want to make sure I have my camera set up correctly.

Thanks!

thanks for the tips! I'll probably try to play around with my camera a bit on night shots before the trip as well. But I'll definitely keep your notes handy and try out some of those settings. Appreciate it!

ps - thanks for the redirect advice Dan...after a few weeks of lurking and posting, I hadn't even realized there was a photography section of the board! Guess I should look around some more and see what other "new" things I can find!

Jeff pretty much put it straight. The 18-200mm while excellent for general purpose isn't great for the night parade shots.

I don't know what you plan for future photography endevors, but you might want to look at getting a 50mm f/1.8. At right around $100 this is a GREAT lens. Great for low light and also TACK sharp, especially from f/2.8 to f/11.

While I wont be doing MNSSHP, I will be doing MVMCP in November. I plan on using the 50mm f/1.8 (unless I can get a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 before the trip). Its a bit tighter (the 50mm that is) than we'd probably like for the parades, but with the f/1.8 and ISO1600 on the D50 you can do very well with getting acceptable shutter speeds.

If you don't want to go that route right now, then I wouldn't zoom much past 28mm on your 18-200mm lens. The further in you zoom the smaller the aperture will get and you'll get slower shutter speeds.

Use aperture priority, zoom all the way out to 18mm then set the aperture to 3.5 (widest on your lens), then as you zoom in and out slightly you get f/stops somewhere between f/3.5 and 4.2. Not great, but not terrible. Be sure to use ISO 1600 and pay attention to your shutter speeds. You want at least 1/50th or 1/60th. With 1/80th or 1/125th more ideal.

thanks! I may pick up the 50mm lens you referenced. I am thinking of using my 18-200 for "normal" shots with characters throughout the park using my flash attachment, and then switching to the 50mm lens for the parade using some of the settings mentioned in the replies above.

Thanks again for the tips!

thanks! I may pick up the 50mm lens you referenced. I am thinking of using my 18-200 for "normal" shots with characters throughout the park using my flash attachment, and then switching to the 50mm lens for the parade using some of the settings mentioned in the replies above.

That is probably a good idea- looking at my EXIF data- I shot mostly at 1/60 second and dropped as low as 1/40 if needed. The highest aperature all night was f2.5- 90% were wide open at f1.8. As Kyle said- watch your shutter speed if shooting in aperature priority- my guess is they will be way too slow for hand held shots at f3.5 or above.

Hey Kyle- I was just looking at that Sigma 30mm 1.4 you mentioned- that looks like an interesting lens. Have you read up on it much? Just curious how it performs especially wide open.

Hey Kyle- I was just looking at that Sigma 30mm 1.4 you mentioned- that looks like an interesting lens. Have you read up on it much? Just curious how it performs especially wide open.

I've read some real good reviews. Originally I was looking at the 24 or 28mm f/1.8. Then I came across the 30 1.4. Its got the HSM motor and is also digital enhanced. I went over to pixel-peepers.com to get some sample images and was pretty impressed. As much as I love the 50, it can sometimes be to tight for some "general purpose" stuff. With the crop on a Nikon the 30mm is 45mm. I've found that a lot of indoor candid stuff with the kids is around the 30mm range so I think I can get some real good use beyond Disney with this lens. Plus I like having fast primes. Though $380 or is kind of high, I think I can get it by the middle of next month.

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=278&p=1

If you have time to practice, try AV mode with a fast lens *and* flash. By adjusting the aperture/shutter speed and using 2nd curtain flash you can achieve some very nice night parade effects where there is a slight blur leading to a sharp image.

Most of the images on this page were done that way, with a shutter speed of about 1/8 second:

tapestry2a-print.jpg

That is a pretty cool website- thanks for the link. Pictures I searched for with the lens on my camera taken at f1.4 look very impressive. :scratchin

thanks for posting those photos bobquincy...I like it. I'll try to practice some at night at home before my trip and see what I can get to work for me. Of course, i won't have all the cool lights/decorations to take photos of, but I can still practice dark/night shooting. Thanks again!

Here are a couple from last Friday using the 50/1.8

202394910-L.jpg

202515890-L.jpg

han_3869.jpg

Here is another example of using Av to get a slow shutter speed with 2nd curtain flash. This was 1/8 second. The effect might go well with a ghostly parade!

I was going thru my Inbox and cleaning it out when I ran across a message from Jeff, suggesting I look at this thread.

I'm bumping it back to the top since MNSSHP is about to start up again this week.

Anyone ready to jump in with suggestions? I can kick-start us with some basic questions:

1. Best Lens to Use?

• External Flash? Y or N?

• ISO Setting?

I am anxious to get the results from the pros here... I will be going in 2 weeks and need some advice... I am thinking I will use my 35mm f1.8 for the parades, but not sure...

I didn't have my 50mm last year, so I think I'm going to try that--my 50mm, set to Tv mode (as Jeff suggested), and high ISO w/no flash.

The only thing I hate about using primes is that I can't get close.

Jeff, where were you for last year's parade? Were you up close to get those shots of the ghosts and the skeleton parade?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter