MLK crowds

seeWDW

Earning My Ears
(Forgive me if this is a duplicate. I tried to post last night just as the Boards sent out a "20 minute" maint. notice. I can't find my post anywhere, so I'm assuming it did not get in.)

Can anyone tell me how crowded MLK weekend usually is? We are headed down (FIRST TIME EVER!:) ) 1/17-1/21. I have no idea what to expect as far as the crowds are concerned. I know January is usually low month, but since this is a holiday weekend, I know it will be busier than just another weekend.

My game plan for park visits is as follows - AK (Sat.), MGM (Sun.), and MK (Mon.). We will have about 1/2 day Tuesday before our 5:00 flight to go back to a park or visit Epcot. With 6 & 9 year old DDs, their appreciation of Epcot will be minimal. I figure we will come back to check it out when they are a little older. Sound like a good excuse to return ???

Should we plan on doing PS's for all our dinners??? I'm assuming I need one for O'Hana dinner Monday night (our last night celebration). I just hope I'm not too late in requesting PS. I'm going to shoot for 6:00 so we might be able to catch the 7:00 fire works. ;)

Am I way off base? Thanks for any assistance!!!

We were there last MLK week. We arrived on Sun and did no parks because I anticipated huge crowds. Monday I figured the same thing but the kids were dying to go so we chose MGM(knew better than to attempt MK) Well at 10:00 MGM was packed! Oddly enough there were tons of families with babies and preschoolers. It was so bad we left before lunch. You really should research Epcot. If you know the park there is plenty for your family to do.Epcot also absorbs crowds very well. I would arrive early (before opening0 at the park of my choice, stay until crowds are unmanageable,then try Epcot.

Thanks for the input eeyoresmom.

Do you think MK would be worse Sunday or Monday? We've started counting down, but still so much to decide... :eek:

Sunday is early entry day for WDwresort guests so it will be verrrrrry busy.You don't say if you're staying onsite or off. If you're offsite,stay away from MK on Sunday!

We are on site - Polynesian. And yes, I saw the early entry for MK on Sunday. That's one reason I was thinking Monday for MK. But then that is the holiday. I guess worst case we leave if it is packed Monday & come back for 1/2 day Tuesday before we leave.

Did you have PSes for all of your dinners last year?

Thanks!

If you are onsite definitely take advantage of ee to visit MK on Sun,then head to another park when the crowd gets unmanageable. (you can always hope for a little rain to lighten the crowds !) With ee you should get a real good head start. I actually had a tougher time getting ps's last MLK week then I have for my upcoming Pres week trip. Call for yours asap,especially Ohana. And remember,you can see the MK fireworks from the poly. Last year we timed our dinner so as it ended we went outside to the beach for a great viewing! (you'll also be able to see them from Ohanas,they dim the music and pipe in the music)

I noticed disney extended park hours for the week before MLK (when I'll be there) and added more fireworks and parades.

Does that mean I should expect crowds that week?
MLK is on a Tuesday. I'm going the Wed-Sat before that.

I don't want crowds!! that's why I picked January. Help!

You are correct in that MLK's birthday is 1/21. However, the MLK birthday observed is Monday, 1/21. I know in our case, schools are closed, banks, etc. on that Monday. I don't know about FL residents. I read a post here somewhere not too long ago that the MLK weekend was busy. :( That's why I'm getting worried.

I'm just hoping for warm weather!! The trend right now is below normal. We can handle people. But we've done theme park here (NC) in the cold. That's not too fun.

If you are going the week before, I would think you are fine.

Have fun!!!

Public Schools in south FL do not have off.

We were there Labor day Weekend and Veteran's Day Weekend and did all we wanted with very minimal waiting. I would take advantage of EE at MGM , MK, and AK-

Sat- MGM
Sun- MK
Mon-AK

We like to do Epcot at night, since it's such a relaxing park in the evening and doesn't feel too crowded.
Sine we only go on weekends, I consider myself a weekend expert (6 trips last year- 3 hoidays).

If you want, I will PM you my tour plans . My son is 5 and does ride some of the "scarier rides", so I think I have an idea of what the girls woud like.

do you know about the cinderella character dinner at the GF? I think that wuld be a nice dinner for your family.

susy,

Yes, that would be great. If I don't have all the info in my seeWDW registration, post back here. I'm new at this so I hope I filled out everything I needed to when I went through registration.

I'm thankful that school is in session there - that makes me feel much better!! :Pinkbounc I've got all of the early entry days marked. But several friends have told me if we do MK first, the other parks may be a let-down after that for the DDs. Would you agree?

Thanks for all of the help!:p

On the other hand, some of the attractions that are open for EE, might not be high on the girls' list of favorites (except for MK) and it can get very tiring if you are up early every morning.

How about this?

Sat- AK for opening - 9am
(GET to the parks 30-40 minutes before opening.)

Head to your right (Dinoland)-
ride Triceratops spin -a dumbo like ride
Primeval Whirl-a fun coaster, but has a 48" height restriction
Dinosaur- scary- 6yo might not like it.
play in the boneyard for about 15 minutes

head out of dinoland and you will come right up to Tough To Be a Bug
exit left and head to Asia- ride Kali river rapids- wear you ponchos!!!!!
Walk the Maharaja jungle trek

head to Africa to (follow the signs) get Fastpasses for Safari- if the wait is shorter than 20 minutes, you may want to wait. But why wait , when you can walk the Pangani Forest trail while you wait for your fastpass time? We usually have time to eat lunch ,too. Tusker House in Africa is great!

Ride the Safari

don't miss Festival of the Lion King in Camp Minnie Mickey. Also, the character trails here are great! Don't forget the autograph books, fat pens and cameras!

I haven't seen the parade , but it starts at 4pm (if you last that long!)

I would take a break at the Poly and head over to the MK at night. See Spectromagic at either 7 or 9pm- fireworks are at 8pm.

Have to watch my cooking show now. I'll be back with my suggestions for day 2-wish I was going!

sunday morning- you'll be loving the monorail by now!

I would be at MK for EE (30 min before)

head to Fantasyland! Right through the castle.

ride Dumbo (if the girls like that )
Winnie the pooh
if you want to do Buzz Lightyear or any rides in tomorowland , I would go now and then work your way back through Fantasyland.

don't miss peter pan
snow white is scary, but fun
small world

Head toward the haunted mansion (so much fun)
then over to Frontierland land- get FP for Thunder and ride Splash

in Adventureland don't miss the Pirates of the Caribbean
Believe it or not my 5 yo loved the hall pf Presidents!

tom Sawyer's island is also a nice to place to relax and "get away".

Take some time to just walk on Main Street and drink it all in -buy some fudge at the candy store!

If you can hang out until parade time, it starts at 3pm.
If you want a nice, quiet lunch make a Ps for castle at lunch (no characters, but still nice). Actually, my mom will be there that day and I think she has a Ps for lunch there! Crystal Palace is also fun (pooh characters).

Take a break at te Poly- you will be beat!

sunday night I would go to Epcot (love that monorail)and see the Tapestry of Dreams parade and Illuminations.

If you are there pretty early you can see some attactions in Future World - Spaceship Earth, Journey into your Imagination, Living Seas, the Land, Food Rocks, Cirlce of Life, Ice Station Cool,
Honey I Shrunk the audience- all good

The World Showcase is very nice in the evening.

:D Thanks Susy! My printer will be working in overdrive. Yes, I think we will definitely be loving the monorail before the trip is over!! That's one reason we splurged.

I still remember the haunted mansion from my one trip as a young teen (too many moons ago). I'm hoping our PS comes through for 'Ohana on Monday night as our last "celebration". I can't believe the trip is almost here. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Okay, here are some ideas for monday-

Be at MGM for opening- 30-40 minutes before

Ride TT and RnR, if you are up to it.
Ride Star Tours
See Muppet Vision 3-d
Great Movie Ride

We haven't spent too much time in this park. I would love to see the Beauty and the Beast show! Playhouse disney is fun, but your girls may find it babyish.
It's not a real big park, but the shows are on a schedule. My advice is to just enjoy whatever you can and don't waste a minute worrying about what you haven't seen- that's what future trips are for!!!!!
;)

At night you may want to see Fantasmic, go back to Epcot, or just enjoy your last night at the Poly!

On tues- do whatever you want!!!!!!

Some other tips:

When you get to the parks- line up in front of an empty turnstile- they will open them all.

You may want to rent a double stroller for your girls(if they tend to tire easily).

Bring very little with you into the parks . Empty out your wallets and bring just what you need. We use fanny packs and divide up the essentials between us: passes, room keys, cash, credit card,
id, ins.card, wipes, small ziploc with first aid- band aids, tylenol, etc, cell phone (make sure the girls have your cell# on them at all times), camera, autograph book, pen, rain poncho.

Lots of other planning tips at wdwig.com

have fun!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter