MK - Ok with no ADR?

CaroM8

Earning My Ears
Hey all experts!!

Trying to plan out our Day 1 at MK for September. It is our first time at Disney so even though I have watched All.The.Videos and read everything, still don't know how we will do on the actual day with Genie +, snacking, mid day resort break maybe? Etc...

That being said - it seems to me that we would be ok with not booking an ADR for MK as most TS restaurants seem to have last minute openings anyway (other than maybe CRT -which we don't want to do anyway). Am I correct in thinking this? We are not picky so we'd be fine eating at whichever is available...

We are definitely booking ADRs for the heavy hitters we want like Topolino's breakfast, Storybook and 'Ohana dinner but also want to leave some wiggle room for the rest..

Thoughts on this?

I haven’t booked ADR’s for MK in awhile. As long as you are proactively on top of the walk up list game (ie not waiting until 12 to get a lunch slot at Tony’s) you should be fine. Conversely, you can always make an ADR and cancel it as soon as 2 hours before just in case.

I rarely book an ADR at MK; mainly because there’s nothing there that makes a TS res worth it to me. I’ll get the specialty spring rolls from the cart, maybe some corn dog nuggets with plastic cheese from Casey’s, or a corn dog from Sleepy Hollow and I’m golden.

If you are flexible with where you are dining, and the time, you should be okay. If you are thinking about a midday break, making a last minute ADR at a resort can also be a good option. In MK, I usually dine QS to keep my schedule more fluid, allowing me to take advantage of any short attraction wait times.

Try checking availability just before two hours ahead of your preferred dining time. People can cancel without penalty at two hours prior to their ADR time and we have had good luck picking up a last minute reservation at that time.

Honestly, the TS restaurants (well... all the restaurants really) at MK are not outstanding. It is the worst park for food. You may want to just bring a whole bunch of snacks/sandwiches, snack-cart it, or park hop over to EPCOT for dinner. If you really are dead set on dining at MK - I actually enjoyed lunch at Crystal Palace last time we went (Character meal with Pooh and Friends). Haven't been there for dinner but enjoyed it the lunch buffet more than TS meals at Be Our Guest (Dec 23) and Skipper Canteen (Feb 24).

I wouldn't make an ADR for MK. As you noted, it's your first day, first ever time in Disney. I would take the day to get your bearings and enjoy the park. As many PPs stated, the food in MK just isn't very good. There are also plenty of QS choices. If you really want a TS as the day progresses, check the app for later or even walk-up availability. Personally, I would just wing it, do QS and eat some iconic snacks!

MK restaurant choices are horrible IMO. I’m good with Sleepy Hollow waffles in the morning, QS afternoon, and walk/monorail to Contemporary for Steakhouse 71 at night.

Leaving MK gives you a break from the madness and much better choices for restaurants. It’s also a boat ride away from Ft. Wilderness or the Lodge.

I’ll second heading to Stekhouse 71 @ Contemporary. But we prefer the lunch menu over the dinner menu. The steak sandwich & onion rings are excellent. Maybe make a late lunch ADR & cancel 2 hours before if you find you don’t want to leave the park or if you head to your hotel for a break instead.

MK restaurant choices are horrible IMO. I’m good with Sleepy Hollow waffles in the morning, QS afternoon, and walk/monorail to Contemporary for Steakhouse 71 at night.

Leaving MK gives you a break from the madness and much better choices for restaurants. It’s also a boat ride away from Ft. Wilderness or the Lodge.
Thanks for the suggestion! On our 2nd MK day (which is on a Halloween party day, so gotta leave early anyway) we will head over to Wilderness Lodge to have dinner at Story Book. Very much looking forward to that one! :)

The last time we went, we planned to wait until we got there and then maybe book a last-minute ADR at Skipper's Canteen if there was availability; this was on an MVMCP night, so the park closed early. We had dinner plans for 6 pm, so we didn't want anything substantial after about 2 pm. We ended up getting breakfast sandwiches at Starbucks, had some Dole Whip, popcorn, another little snack here, one there, and something to drink and then it was too late, so we never did get around to an actual meal. I'd consider doing that again. We like Skipper's Canteen, I'm okay with Pecos Bill (or at least in 2019 when we last ate there), I don't mind Tony's, we had a really good breakfast buffet at Crystal Palace a few years ago, and I'd be okay to give Be Our Guest a try with some of the new items, but I'm also just fine to graze my way around after that last trip as it worked really well for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter