Mixing adult and child menu items allowed?

VogelFamily

Mouseketeer
Lots of questions in one post. Thanks in advance.
We will be purchasing the DDP again for our October vacation. My daughter is 12 and while she would be happy ordering appetizers and desserts from most menus, she is not at all interested in the majority of entrees. Are we allowed to pick from the two? For example, at TS restaurants that are not family style, will she be allowed to order an appetizer, children's entree and adult dessert? I am thinking specifically of Kona. She would try the sticky wings, enjoy the chicken strips and pasta off of the children's menu and then would delight in the kiddie kone. Of course, we expect to use an adult credit for her.
Similarly, when we are dining at 'Ohana, will she be able to get a side of chicken fingers? I fully expect her to be charged a full adult credit but other than the wings and dessert, she is not interested.
At 50's, can she order the fried chicken and substitute the green beans for the "southern greens"? Does anyone know how many pieces you get in the fried chicken dinner? My son, 8 yo, would love a drumstick but it is not on the children's menu. If she orders the dinner, she could keep a piece and share a piece? He would also order off of the children's menu.
As always, appreciate the help..........................heather

My understanding is that

You can use an adult credit to order off of the children's menu.

So long as everyone at the table is using a DDP credit for the meal, however you swap around the food is up to the diners. Problems occur when you have someone paying OOP for an Appetizer and a drink and then sharing an entree with a DDP diner. This is not what your doing and should work out fine.

I don't know about swapping green beans for southern green beans. I'd assume if both are offered at the restaurant, most chefs would be willing to accomodate.

Also don't know how many pieces of chicken in the fried chicken meal. Sorry.

I don't know how it will work for an "adult" child but here's how similar situations have worked for my DH and I on various meal plans. He often orders an app of the kids menu (chicken noodle soup) or gets an adult sized order of chicken fingers. At the Poly Luau I have gotten a kids meal (chicken nuggets) and at the Hoop Dee Doo we have gotten kids sides (mac and cheese) - pretty much at any all you can eat meal they have been willing to bring out some of the kids items instead of the adult food. At many other restaurants we have ordered a different side with our entree - as long as it was listed as a side for one of the other entrees, we've never had a problem. Just ask your server and even if they can't do exactly what you want, hopefully they will offer some suggestions of what will work.

Thanks for the fast responses and links. Looks like in the chicken dinner pictures, the green beans were substituted for the southern greens. She should be happy..........thanks again.............heather

I have substituted for the southern greens before. I have also substituted mashed potatoes for the root hash that comes with some entrees at the 50's.

When we've been at WDW, we've had no problems in having our DD12 order off the kids' menu. They charge like an adult, and bring her an adult portion. This was never a problem. It works out well because our kids don't always find something on the adult menu that's to their taste. We can try more "exotic" restaurants and everyone's happy.

The only way I think you would have a problem is if you tried to order her a kid's meal at a sit-down restaurant and use a child's credit. That doesn't sound like what you want to do.

We also have a DS(now)10--he was 9 on our last trip and considerd a child. However, he eats every meal like it was his last, while his older sister eats very little. A couple times, DS ordered the adult meal while DD had a child's meal. Everything evened out, everyone was happy, kids were full, we used the "proper" credits, etc.

We never had a problem with substitutions, but you may not be able to get specific things (say, plain corn at X restaurant). However, they can usually substitute a plain vegetable, or applesauce, or some other side dish if a family member doesn't care for fried okra or creamed spinach or whatever.

DS is an adult on the plan, and often wants an adult appetizer, adult dessert, but kid entree. The only time I ever had any issue at all with that was CRT - the server initially told me no, but then let us - I think he may just have initially thought DS was a child on the plan and we were trying to order adult items with a child plan instead of the other way around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter