Mistakes you made the 1st time you did DDP.

We were at CBR when we did this. Like many others, we had tried to be thrifty with our CS credits, and had too many left. We overheard some other people talking about being able to get 4 snack items for a CS credit, so we asked a cashier and she said yes. We would normally get food and drinks, but on our last night we used it for 4 food items and the since the manager had come over to help fix a problem, the cashier asked her and she said sure - ring it up as a "continental breakfast". I don't know if they always call it this, but that's what they said. It was really convenient because alot of times we didn't enjoy the breakfast meals, and just wanted snack items instead.

Liked this old thread... thought we might get some new stories about lessons learned...

All character dinners are 2 credits? is this true?

No, that's not true. Restaurants don't require different # of credits depending on which meal you are eating there.

CRT is 2 credits, the rest of the character meals are 1 credit each.

All character dinners are 2 credits? is this true?

NO, not true. Most of the character meals are 1 TS, no matter which meal you're going to: the one table service character dinners include Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, Garden Grill, and Akershus Princess Dining...these are all 1 table service. There may be some I'm forgetting, but off the top of my head I know for positive, certain these are all 1 table service and they all have characters.

Cinderella's Royal Table is 2 TS credits for any meal.

I have a 1st timer here at work, going to WDW and getting the Free Dining. What mistake did you make the 1st time you used the DDP that you won't make again. I'm trying to make sure I get him addicted like the rest of us.:lmao:

I calculated the TS incorrectly (not surprising - we had two rooms, varying checkin/out dates, varying who sleeps where!). Biggest error was I calculated number of days instead of number of nights for TS credits.

Lesson learned - make a spreadsheet! Mine is done. We are 2 adults, 1 kid (again with varying checkin/out dates). But we are getting the following for FREE with good planning:
  1. HDDR - 2 TS credits
  2. Boma
  3. Chefs De France
  4. Akershus Norway
  5. Ohana Breakfast
  6. Raglan Road
  7. Coral Reef
  8. California Grill - 2 TS credits

I calculated that I need to pay OOP for my 5yo DS for California Grill and Raglan Road.

By the way.... I'm going tomorrow!!!

I calculated the TS incorrectly (not surprising - we had two rooms, varying checkin/out dates, varying who sleeps where!). Biggest error was I calculated number of days instead of number of nights for TS credits.

Lesson learned - make a spreadsheet! Mine is done. We are 2 adults, 1 kid (again with varying checkin/out dates). But we are getting the following for FREE with good planning:
  1. HDDR - 2 TS credits
  2. Boma
  3. Chefs De France
  4. Akershus Norway
  5. Ohana Breakfast
  6. Raglan Road
  7. Coral Reef
  8. California Grill - 2 TS credits

I calculated that I need to pay OOP for my 5yo DS for California Grill and Raglan Road.

By the way.... I'm going tomorrow!!!

You know that you can't use your DS TS credits for an adult meal right? Just warning you incase you calculated that into your plan. Haave a great trip!

You know that you can't use your DS TS credits for an adult meal right? Just warning you incase you calculated that into your plan. Haave a great trip!

Yes. I do... it is in the spreadsheet! The reason we have extra adult TS (and can do the 2TS venues for free) is not all adults staying all days on reservation. So during FREE dining, this works to your advantage, you get free TS the adult will not be using!! :woohoo:

We are going in a month for free dining for our second time. The mistakes we will not be repeating are...

As many PPs have said, we will not hoard snack credits this time! We'll start using them on day one for anything that qualifies and pay OOP on the last days in the unlikely event that we run out.

Last time we ate at way too many buffets. The meals were so similiiar that they all run together in my memory. This time, I'm glad my kids are older - 11 and 12 -so that I felt comfortable booking non-buffet TS meals for all but one dinner. We are also trying all new restaurants except for one - Le Cellier - so we hope to find some new favorites that are a bit more distinctive than the blur of buffets from our last trip!

27 days and counting.......:cool1:

We did the same thing and this time we are going to use them all especially since we really didn't know all the places you could use them at as the brochure really limits you. My advice- know all the places you can redeem your snack credits and on your last day if you have some left over redeem them all for snacks on a plane or in a car. Do not let the brochure trick you into thinking you can only get popcorn, ice cream and bottled drinks!

Last time we ate at way too many buffets. The meals were so similiiar that they all run together in my memory. This time, I'm glad my kids are older - 11 and 12 -so that I felt comfortable booking non-buffet TS meals for all but one dinner. We are also trying all new restaurants except for one - Le Cellier - so we hope to find some new favorites that are a bit more distinctive than the blur of buffets from our last trip!

I know what you mean! I love buffets, but I could totally get tired of buffets for every table service.

On the one hand, they're nice for picky eaters because of all the variety all at once. And it's also nice when you've got an under 3-year-old who doesn't qualify for his own meal credits yet... you don't have to pay for his/her meals (of course you don't have to pay for tickets for them yet either... I miss those days...)

On the other hand, there is a lot of similarity between buffets... which can get old, and still having young kids can be a struggle to always have to get up and balance plates. Or you get stuck with someone waiting at the table while you get the kids' food, and then by the time you go up and get your own food and head back to the table, the kids are finishing up and begging for dessert...

It certainly is nice to mix things up with some sit-down-and-be-totally-served
meals too!

So I do recommend a nice combination!

Do not let the brochure trick you into thinking you can only get popcorn, ice cream and bottled drinks!

Great advice! I always laugh when I see the popcorn, ice cream, and bottled drinks! I don't even remember using snack credits for any of those things! :rotfl:

Here's some of the stuff our family got with snack credits: chocolate chip muffins, blueberry muffins, cheesecake with strawberries, Dole Whips, root beer float, funnel cakes (at MK only), cream cheese-stuffed pretzel, Make-Your-Own treats at Goofy's (though the list has gotten more limited since our last trip), strawberry shortcake (incredibly good at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot, IMHO), carrot cake cookie, etc. :cloud9:

Now that I see the list, I realize how off the diet I really was! :lmao:

Like I would really take a package of nuts, bowl of soup, or small salad, over a piece of cheesecake drowning in strawberry goodness! :laughing:

Just got back from our fourth trip on the dining plan (second time on the deluxe).

We made the same mistake we did the first time on the dining plan: we still ended up with 48 snack credits on the last day. Oy! We just weren't hungry for them...again. We did end up using all of them at Goofy's and at BVG in the Contemporary on snacks for the car ride and sweets to bring home for friends.

I swear, though, next time we do deluxe, we're only doing two meals a day. That's it LOL. I'm STILL full and we got home on Sunday!

Just a quick tip for everyone who has kids and lots of left over snack credits. I use up ours buying Mickey rice crispy treats for my DD's class. It's a great way to give out treats to the class and it's cheaper than spending $3 per kid. Also if you ask the CM will give you small bags for them. I went to the front desk and got a bunch of Mickey stickers and put them in the bags w/ the treats. That way it really didn't "cost" me anything OOP while I was there!

I didn't do the deluxe plan the first time and that is the only time. I like some signature meals and some other 2TS meals too much to just do the regular plan.

popcorn::

Thanks for all the helpful advice!!! DD and I will be using the DP for the first time in November!!! Love the idea of eating whatever i want (within the rules, of course!) and not worrying about price.

Trying to order the most expensive items and maximizing the plan. Evey time I see a post about how to get the most from the DP I want to tell them to eat where they want and stop worrying about making money on it.

I have also never paid for the plan we go durin free dining so I feel more comfortable with just eating what we want

We ended up with extra snack credits both our first time and second time (even though I personally used one more than I was alloted). We will probably do the same this time too. We are always moving, so we don't stop for a snack every day.

Trying to order the most expensive items and maximizing the plan. Evey time I see a post about how to get the most from the DP I want to tell them to eat where they want and stop worrying about making money on it.

I have also never paid for the plan we go durin free dining so I feel more comfortable with just eating what we want

I think during free dining it is easier for people to order exactly what they want without worrying about whether or not they are maximizing the plan.

We (partially) paid for DDP in July. (Work covered my share since I was attending a conference at the time.) In Sci Fi, hubby looked at me and asked, "should I get the ribs since it's the most expensive?"

I replied, "No, get what you feel like and don't worry about it!" He got a burger. (I got the ribs... I love ribs! :love:)

I will, however, add that since we aren't always on the dining plan, I used this as an opportunity to experience some restaurants/meals that we'd never done before because of price. I like the idea of having new experiences. After seeing what we would've paid for those wonderful meals like Les Chefs dinner, Le Cellier dinner, and Chef Mickey's dinner, I could suddenly recall why we hadn't tried those before! It was like each of those single meals paid for that day's worth of DDP themselves!

I figure, I could try something like a Liberty Tree lunch some other time when we weren't on the DDP. For a more pricey treat in the MK area, Chef Mickey, 'Ohana, & Whispering Canyon were calling my name!

Sure, Sci Fi for lunch was one of our cheaper meals, but it was the only new experience we were interested in at DHS. Do I regret going there, knowing full well I could have gotten a better value elsewhere? Not at all! I figure one Cosmic Ray combo and a snack would have easily put us close to even with the cost of the dining plan for that particular day! I don't care if hubby ordered just a burger that one time... he was happy with it, and that was what I cared about!

Did I make mistakes this first time trying the DDP? Well... nothing major. Here's just a couple things in retrospect:
1) Since I was separated from hubby and our boys so much while I was attending my conference, I think we just could have used better communication regarding how many CS & snack credits he and the boys would be using while I wasn't around. (I'm the planner in the family, and he didn't want to mess up my plans! How sweet! :cutie:)
2) We also ended up with a slight overload of snack credits on our last day. By slight overload, I mean just 7 or 8 for our family of four... not an insane amount. We did learn that day, however, that splitting some funnel cakes and root beer floats made a totally delicious and filling lunch! :thumbsup2 I also took advantage of our last credit to try the cream cheese pretzel I'd read about and never tried before. I liked it! The rest of my family didn't care for it, but I did! :goodvibes

Sorry if this has already been posted, I haven't read the entire thread but

tip #1 - boulangerie patisserie( forgive the spelling) has some great ham and cheese croissants for a snack credit. Used 2 snack credits for breakfast for the croissant and a cappuccinno

tip#2 - if you would like an app included, some restaurants offer a prixe fixe menu that includes an app and is still one table service credit.

Haven't done this yet, but it's the first time I'll have DDP during F&W.
I'm planning to use up all of my snack credits at the food kiosk. We're doing that for dinner our first night then using 2 TS credits for Jiko's another night.
That way we'll know if we have any left to use the other days. We're not snackers so I think this will work best for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter