Minor Car Accident

jeffp18

Earning My Ears
I was in a minor car accident yesterday where I would most likely be considered at fault. There were no injuries or anything. The driver that I hit was young and had never been in an accident before so she was a little shocked. We exchanged information at the scene. I filled out the state accident forms to send in to the RMV, police department where the accident occurred and the insurance company. After filling out the forms, I called my insurance company to file a claim. When I got off the phone with the claim adjuster, I went to go put the forms in the mailbox and found a note from the person I hit asking if I wanted to just settle without going through insurance or if I wanted to go through insurance. I would prefer to settle without going through insurance, but can I still do that if I already filed a claim?

That is odd that she wouldn’t want to file a claim, most of the time it is the person who is at fault who wants to avoid going through insurance (dd21 just lucked out and the person she backed into in a parking lot accepted a certified check).

I was in a minor car accident yesterday where I would most likely be considered at fault. There were no injuries or anything. The driver that I hit was young and had never been in an accident before so she was a little shocked. We exchanged information at the scene. I filled out the state accident forms to send in to the RMV, police department where the accident occurred and the insurance company. After filling out the forms, I called my insurance company to file a claim. When I got off the phone with the claim adjuster, I went to go put the forms in the mailbox and found a note from the person I hit asking if I wanted to just settle without going through insurance or if I wanted to go through insurance. I would prefer to settle without going through insurance, but can I still do that if I already filed a claim?
Call your insurance agent and enquire whether or not they can do the claims assessment and you can reimburse them for the settlement costs, without it affecting your accident-free rating. I've heard of it being done that way and it seems smart. There are a couple of insurance professionals here on the DIS - hopefully one of them will offer you some more credible input.

You filed a claim, or you notified your insurance company, which they require you to do?
My daughter had an at fault accident in our 17 year old car. She hit someone in a 21 year old car. I notified my insurance, the other driver's insurance contact them, and my insurance offered $500 and they would declare his car a total loss. He had just put a new engine and transmission in the car, but even his own insurance said no matter what he had done, it was still a $500 car. He could have taken the money and kept the car, but the damage was so minor (probably about $500) he chose to drop the claim and drive the car with the dent, to avoid it having a salvage title. So, while the process was started, no claim was paid, no citations issues, so my daughter didn't even have her rates increased. So you can start the claims process, but you can stop it at anytime...for example, electing to pay out of pocket for the damage.

I filed an actual claim. I have an appointment tomorrow to get the damage on my car appraised. I think I'm just going to let insurance handle it after reading about some horror stories online.

That is odd that she wouldn’t want to file a claim, most of the time it is the person who is at fault who wants to avoid going through insurance (dd21 just lucked out and the person she backed into in a parking lot accepted a certified check).

It depends on the state and the insurer. Several states, including NY, have no-fault insurance, which means your insurance rates can go up if you're involved in an accident, even if it's not your fault.

It depends on the state and the insurer. Several states, including NY, have no-fault insurance, which means your insurance rates can go up if you're involved in an accident, even if it's not your fault.

That is NOT what no-fault means. Has nothing to do with it. No fault is in reference to medical bills from an accident, it has nothing to do with insurance rates and liability.

OP, this is what I do for a living. Yes, you can handle it out of pocket if you want. Don't let the internet horror stories scare you off. Sure, it can go bad if you get some scam artist, but you have to make that judgment call. Accidents are handled out of pocket all the time. If it's a minor collision, really not a big deal. Be sure to document things so you have a record, just in case things do go sideways. If you want to let insurance handle it, not a problem, that's what their for. But if you and the other driver want to settle on your own, you can.

tvguy, notifying your insurance company and filing a claim are one and the same. You could call your agent and notify them and they could just hold that info and not turn it into the carrier, but they're taking a bit of a risk doing that.

tvguy, notifying your insurance company and filing a claim are one and the same. You could call your agent and notify them and they could just hold that info and not turn it into the carrier, but they're taking a bit of a risk doing that.

Guess we were lucky then our rates didn't go up then.

Earlier this year my daughter hit another car (an acquaintance who she was following to a friend's house). Anyway, my car had just about no damage but his pick up truck had a dent. Right away he told my daughter to not go thru insurance. At first we weren't too comfortable with that so we talked to our agent who we've known for 30 years and he said that's what he would do but to just get something in writing detailing everything and have him sign it. Just something for our records. Then my husband called the other car owner (who is 18 like my daughter). We asked him if he and his parents wanted to go over all this with us and he did not want his parents involved. He said he was 18 and an adult. So he went and got a few appraisals and he said he would go with the cheapest one. That was the end of that. I'm glad we did it this way as a few months later my daughter got into another accident which we used our insurance for :rolleyes1

That is NOT what no-fault means. Has nothing to do with it. No fault is in reference to medical bills from an accident, it has nothing to do with insurance rates and liability.

You are right, of course. My mistake, I worded it poorly. I'm aware that no-fault insurance covers medical costs due to injury.

All I meant to say is that if you are not at fault in an accident, it's possible your insurance company may still increase your premium, at least around here. For that reason, especially in minor fender benders, many people choose to settle with the other driver rather than submit a claim and risk higher rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter