Minimum Direct Points Needed

DarkSideDad

Earning My Ears
We are looking to purchase a DVC but the one benefit that I want direct that I can't get from resale is the discounted Gold Annual Pass. It looks like the minimum points Disney Direct allows one to purchase to start up is 100. My question is lets say I purchased 100 points on the resale market, how many points would I need to buy direct from disney to qualify for perks like the annual pass? Is it still 100?

Keep in mind that if you are considering resale and the Gold pass is the only reason for going direct, you are only saving $140 per person per year on the Gold pass. It might take a long time to make up the difference between resale and direct at that rate. Also keep in mind that these promotions change all the time. When first unveiled the DVC discount applied to an annual pass with no blackout dates and it was close to a $400 discount. I would hate for you to buy direct only to get this benefit that might not be there in a few years.

Keep in mind that if you are considering resale and the Gold pass is the only reason for going direct, you are only saving $140 per person per year on the Gold pass. It might take a long time to make up the difference between resale and direct at that rate. Also keep in mind that these promotions change all the time. When first unveiled the DVC discount applied to an annual pass with no blackout dates and it was close to a $400 discount. I would hate for you to buy direct only to get this benefit that might not be there in a few years.

This isn't true. First of all, unless you are a Florida resident, you can't even buy the Gold AP. Which means your only option is the Platinum Pass.

- The difference in price for the first year between the Platinum Pass and the Gold Pass is $285
- The difference in price for every year after that (renewal) is $242

For a family of four, that saves you $1,000 a year on average.

Additionally, there is absolutely no evidence that Disney intends to pull back benefits for direct members; an argument I constantly hear in favor of resale vs. direct. If anything, benefits are getting better. I would be utterly shocked if direct DVC members didn't always have access to the Gold AP. For me, that's enough to buy direct.

Last edited:

Actually it is $300 savings compared to a platinum pass. For a family of 4 or more it's a good chunk of money. At a $50/pt difference on a 75 point contract, the difference is $3750. You're almost "whole" after 3 sets of passes.

We immediately bought a set to use (already took a trip on) and are now buying another set (1 at a time with Disney reward $'s) so that we are sure to get at least 2 sets....just in case. We also took immediate advantage of a Moonlight Magic event. If the DAH discounts stick around, we will likely save a few hundred there, too. I know it's not as much of a "no-brainer" as when the minimum was 25 (which it was when we bought - but we bought 60 as new owners) we've almost already recouped every penny.

This isn't true. First of all, unless you are a Florida resident, you can't even buy the Gold AP. Which means your only option is the Platinum Pass.

- The difference in price for the first year between the Platinum Pass and the Gold Pass is $285

And actually if you calculate tax, it is $303.52 and and $257.73!

We back to back 2 vacations and then skip about a year, so no renewal rates for us. So, 2 sets of passes saved over $2400 for us.

At the time we bought our points, our difference between direct and resale was less than $3000. So, we're good as far as I'm concerned.

Actually it is $300 savings compared to a platinum pass. For a family of 4 or more it's a good chunk of money. At a $50/pt difference on a 75 point contract, the difference is $3750. You're almost "whole" after 3 sets of passes.

We immediately bought a set to use (already took a trip on) and are now buying another set (1 at a time with Disney reward $'s) so that we are sure to get at least 2 sets....just in case. We also took immediate advantage of a Moonlight Magic event. If the DAH discounts stick around, we will likely save a few hundred there, too. I know it's not as much of a "no-brainer" as when the minimum was 25 (which it was when we bought - but we bought 60 as new owners) we've almost already recouped every penny.
I realized that benefit might not last forever, but based on the math stated above, I gambled it would be around for at least a couple of years to make it worth buying the minimum direct points required to get the full benefits, but mostly the Gold Pass. If they took the Gold Pass away though, I think DVC’ers would be livid and would be sure to let Disney know that.

I realized that benefit might not last forever, but based on the math stated above, I gambled it would be around for at least a couple of years to make it worth buying the minimum direct points required to get the full benefits, but mostly the Gold Pass. If they took the Gold Pass away though, I think DVC’ers would be livid and would be sure to let Disney know that.
Of all the membership perks, I seriously don't think the Gold AP perk is going anywhere, ever. I'd be absolutely shocked.

As long as they have a new resort to sell, there will be some financial benefits for direct owners. People google everything before they buy these days. There has to be a direct advantage.

As long as they have a new resort to sell, there will be some financial benefits for direct owners. People google everything before they buy these days. There has to be a direct advantage.
Correct. And I'm not against purchasing resale. I do own some resale points as well, but, anytime you bring up perks as an argument for direct, a resale advocate always points out how it may not be there next year. While technically true, in reality, it's going to be there next year...and the year after that...and so on.

If you only have 75 points, a annual pass will be a minimal perk as you can only stay 5-7 nights in a studio.

Have you looked at the prices of 6 day hoppers these days? Before we bought, we were going to just buy park tickets for each trip. We saved $1400 over buying 2 sets of park hoppers (at the time.... ticket pricing is to complicated now for me to waste my time to figure it at todays prices.)

Correct. And I'm not against purchasing resale. I do own some resale points as well, but, anytime you bring up perks as an argument for direct, a resale advocate always points out how it may not be there next year. While technically true, in reality, it's going to be there next year...and the year after that...and so on.

I'm currently looking at a resale add-on, too.

If you only have 75 points, a annual pass will be a minimal perk as you can only stay 5-7 nights in a studio.
With the new peak pricing format, you actually can come out ahead after just 5 or 6 days vs. park hopper. That being said, people usually buy the 75 points in addition to their many resale points (just so they get the direct perks).

I stand corrected on the price difference, as I was comparing to a DVC discount price for a Platinum pass (which obviously wouldn't be an option). But bigger picture, it seems that some have taken offense to my point. It's not meant to judge anything that anyone has done in the past, or might do in the future. The OP said that the only perk he was interested in was the Gold pass. I merely pointed out that the savings might not be worth it, and that he should do the math as he examined his options. That's it. That doesn't meant that it didn't work for others or that it won't work for him.

That said, for those who would be "shocked" if DVC took away the Gold Pass, might I remind you of the days of the $399 Premium Annual Pass that disappeared. Or valet parking. Or a number of other perks. Again, not saying that Disney is bad or that they're out to get anybody, but membership perks are constantly evolving and it is a risk to make a purchasing decision simply based on those perks. Once again, not saying in can't work out or that it won't work out, just that it is a risk.

I stand corrected on the price difference, as I was comparing to a DVC discount price for a Platinum pass (which obviously wouldn't be an option). But bigger picture, it seems that some have taken offense to my point. It's not meant to judge anything that anyone has done in the past, or might do in the future. The OP said that the only perk he was interested in was the Gold pass. I merely pointed out that the savings might not be worth it, and that he should do the math as he examined his options. That's it. That doesn't meant that it didn't work for others or that it won't work for him.

That said, for those who would be "shocked" if DVC took away the Gold Pass, might I remind you of the days of the $399 Premium Annual Pass that disappeared. Or valet parking. Or a number of other perks. Again, not saying that Disney is bad or that they're out to get anybody, but membership perks are constantly evolving and it is a risk to make a purchasing decision simply based on those perks. Once again, not saying in can't work out or that it won't work out, just that it is a risk.

No offense taken by me!

The premium annual pass benefit didn't go away, it was simply replaced with the Gold AP. The Gold AP is a little over $100 more than the premium annual pass was...which is in line with other normal ticket price increases. The same benefit is still here strong as ever with simply a different name. If the premium annual pass were still a thing in 2019, it would not be $399. It would be likely the same price as the gold AP.

And from what I remember, that $399 price was like a two month promotion in 2012 - not a long standing benefit. Bottom line is, there is no evidence to suggest the Gold AP discount will go away other than "it could."

Flamethrower down, my friend. :) I'm not a "resale advocate" but I am an advocate for people to make informed decisions and to look at all the angles. I purchased resale because it was a match for my needs, but I am also kicking myself for not buying a 25 point direct contract before they raised prices and the threshold to 75 points. So I'm not totally against the idea. I am happy for you that you have so much confidence in the persistence of the annual pass discount, and as an owner I also hope it continues. But I don't know if everyone shares your confidence and I think it might be wise if we are advising others (especially new DISboards members) we should point out that things are subject to change regardless of our hopes or intuition.

The premium annual pass benefit didn't go away, it was simply replaced with the Gold AP. The Gold AP is a little over $100 more than the premium annual pass was...which is in line with other normal ticket price increases. The same benefit is still here strong as ever with simply a different name. If the premium annual pass were still a thing in 2019, it would not be $399. It would be likely the same price as the gold AP.

I appreciate the correction on my price misstatement earlier and I feel like I should return the favor. The Premium Annual Pass had no blockout dates AND included admission to the water parks was $399. The Gold Pass has blockout dates and does not include water park admission and is $609. That's a difference of $210, not "a little over $100 more".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter