Mini TR for another Boston Road Trip - updated Nov 22

Sunday May 9 - I flew from Little Rock, AR to Salt Lake City...once again via Atlanta which was kind of backwards. To make things more interesting, my first flight from Little Rock to Atlanta was much delayed. I was supposed to have 2 hours to connect in Atlanta and get in the second flight to Salt Lake..but..with the delay...they were already boarding the flight when we landed in Atlanta!! Delta is great in that, if you miss your connection they will get you on another flight...but being late and possibly losing my luggage was something I really hoped to not have to contend with on this trip. For one, I hate driving in the dark in a city I don't know well, and was not looking forward to having to do that if I ended up on a later flight...
Oh my gosh! So stressful! Glad you made it on the plane!
The next day, I lounged around and was very lazy in the hotel, and then did a order online and pick up order from Target!! Since I had been deprived of any US shopping for so long...I had a list of my fave mostly junk food items and beverages on my list. I also picked up a new suitcase since the wheels on mine had broken in transit. In the evening I went to visit a friend who lives in a suburb of SLC. I insisted that we eat dinner distanced and outside on her back patio. She thinks I'm insane. Her whole family has been vaccinated as have I now...but I still am not quite ready for indoor dining!!
We have had such a long wait for vaccines that we are just more cautious as a result.
So.... what's your list?!?!?!?
I am curious too!
Awww, you must be doubly relieved - second dose of vaccine, and C back at home safe and sound! I know I'm being super hopeful but I am clinging to the hope that perhaps with both vaccines, there might not be quarantine requirements by August, but I am not holding my breath. Either I will be a mask wearer in an airport this summer, or I will be snuggling GD1 for my holidays, win win either way!
That's exactly what I am thinking! I have a trip booked for August 7-15 to celebrate my oldest son's 21st and I am getting more optimistic that we will go. :)

I dunno... "Excuse me sir, but we're going to have to move you back into economy. This seat has been paid for already and the guest has just arrived."

No?

Yeah you would think!! Under normal circumstances I may have put up more of a fuss. But with covid and people probably being more uptight than usual...I didn't bother. I just settled in to my little window seat with my double masks and tried not to breathe too much...

I'll have to remember that. :)

Yeah, I really think you can't go wrong with a club sandwich...pretty hard to mess up, travels well, ok even if cold, goes down well any time of day...

So.... what's your list?!?!?!?

Altoids in different flavours, Charleston Chew. Toasty Cheez-Its. Dill pickle Pringles. Target brand trail mix and coffee....to name a few!

mmmmm... love a good, fresh bagel. :)

Yes, me too! They also make a great hotel breakfast when you can't be bothered to leave your room early enough to get to the lobby!

Awww, you must be doubly relieved - second dose of vaccine, and C back at home safe and sound! I know I'm being super hopeful but I am clinging to the hope that perhaps with both vaccines, there might not be quarantine requirements by August, but I am not holding my breath. Either I will be a mask wearer in an airport this summer, or I will be snuggling GD1 for my holidays, win win either way!

Yes, I really am relieved. I agree, hoping that at least in North America they will lose the quarantines. I think the pre-travel testing and masking may stick around a while, although I think the testing 2-3 days prior is kind of a joke because who knows what could happen in the interim...but what do I know... I do hope that you get to see your GD1 and fly this summer!

That's exactly what I am thinking! I have a trip booked for August 7-15 to celebrate my oldest son's 21st and I am getting more optimistic that we will go. :)

Agreed...I really hope to be able to travel more freely and drive across the border like the good old days! I can't believe we used to go to Buffalo FOR THE DAY!!

Hello again...lovely day here in Toronto....and I'm on day 6 of quarantine...sigh...on with the TR.

Tuesday May 11 - woke up early and had a bagel and some cream cheese that I'd kept cold in the hotel room ice bucket for breakfast! (sadly no fridge in the room) But that was a perfect breakfast. Wanted to pack up and hit the road early for long (to me) 3 1/2 hour drive from SLC to Moab. Made it out of the room by about 8:30am. I would have liked to go earlier, but what can you do. I have to tell you, Utah is so beautiful, and has so many different types of scenery. Driving more than an hour in any direction, you usually get to see more than one different type of landscape. I'm really going to miss spending so much time there. The drive South from Salt Lake to Moab is stunning. Green, brown, red rock, and everything in between. Also windmills which are cool I think. I thought I would want to stop more along the drive as I'm not really used to longer drives by myself, but the amazing scenery really made the time go quickly. I did stop once or twice to stretch my legs and enjoy the view without worry of veering off the road.

I got to Moab around lunch time and figured I probably wouldn't be able to check in to my hotel yet, and also once I did I may not want to go out in search of food immediately...so I decided finding lunch was in order. I went to a cute and well reviewed deli/sandwich type place called Sweet Cravings. I had the turkey BLT with a side of coleslaw and a lemon raspberry soda. Hit the spot. Also, while I had vowed that it would be very cautious outdoor dining only for me on this trip...I decided to chance an indoor meal here because it was very open and airy, tables were well spaced, and it was not very crowded, and I was tired of being in the car. Ate my lunch and then headed over to my hotel. Stayed at the Hyatt Moab which was lovely. I loved the hotel, but looking back, I would have picked something that was more in the center of the town of Moab, so I would not have had to drive to get to some restaurants and shops. Moab is an adorable little town with everything you want for a tourist destination. Cute restaurants, kitchy souvenier shops, info center all surrounded by beautiful scenery.

Hung out in the hotel for a bit, got my room organized, and then put on my shorts and hiking shoes to go check out Arches National Park. All reviews say that you should try to get to Delicate Arch (the most famous Arch at Arches and shown on the UT licence plate) for sunset as that is when the light is best. However, everyone else has the same idea, so you have to get there early to get a parking spot. Also, they recommend bringing a head lamp because if you do go at sunset...means you have to do the hike back to your car in the dark. I wasn't sure about that, but I went prepared just in case. I set out around 3:30pm for Arches. There was a lineup to get in to the park that took about 30 mins. I was pretty stunned that it was that busy - even when currently it's probably 99% Americans only there because the rest of us really aren't travelling much. Hate to say it but...glad I went now because if that's how busy it is when the rest of the world isn't travelling...scares me to think how busy it is normally...

Anyway...made it into the park and drove around a bit taking in the stunning views....and then got to the Delicate Arch parking area probably around 5pm. Had to circle once to get a spot but it wasn't too bad. Set out on the hike - it's about 5K round trip, but a lot of it is uphill on the way there, and on hot red rock...luckily I had lots of water - and bagels!!

Got to the arch around 6pm. It was indeed well worth the trip!! All of Arches is simply incredible!!

Yeah you would think!! Under normal circumstances I may have put up more of a fuss. But with covid and people probably being more uptight than usual...I didn't bother. I just settled in to my little window seat with my double masks and tried not to breathe too much...
Meh. No big deal. Just hold your breath when you get on the plane until you get off. Easy!
Yeah, I really think you can't go wrong with a club sandwich...pretty hard to mess up, travels well, ok even if cold, goes down well any time of day...
I'll buy that. :)
Altoids in different flavours, Charleston Chew. Toasty Cheez-Its. Dill pickle Pringles. Target brand trail mix and coffee....to name a few!
Hmmm... Never really thought of Altoids, but... might have to try that. I've never had a Charleston Chew. Thinking I need to. I'm not a fan of pickle chips, so will pass on the Pringles. Not big into trail mix and don't drink coffee.

Still... I've got a couple there that I'd try. :)
had a bagel and some cream cheese that I'd kept cold in the hotel room ice bucket for breakfast! (sadly no fridge in the room)
Smart!
hit the road early for long (to me) 3 1/2 hour drive
:rolleyes1
Utah is so beautiful, and has so many different types of scenery. Driving more than an hour in any direction, you usually get to see more than one different type of landscape.
One of the few areas of the US I haven't been near, yet.

yet.
The drive South from Salt Lake to Moab is stunning.
Good to know. :)
I had the turkey BLT with a side of coleslaw and a lemon raspberry soda.
Curious... do you remember the coleslaw? Was it cream or vinegar based?
Moab is an adorable little town with everything you want for a tourist destination. Cute restaurants, kitchy souvenier shops, info center all surrounded by beautiful scenery.
Sounds great!
All reviews say that you should try to get to Delicate Arch (the most famous Arch at Arches and shown on the UT licence plate) for sunset as that is when the light is best. However, everyone else has the same idea, so you have to get there early to get a parking spot.
Also good to know.
Also, they recommend bringing a head lamp because if you do go at sunset...means you have to do the hike back to your car in the dark.
I think I would've thought of that anyway, but... good advice.
Did you use yours? Glad you had it?
Set out on the hike - it's about 5K round trip
Not too bad.
but a lot of it is uphill on the way there, and on hot red rock...luckily I had lots of water - and bagels!!
So work on the way there, but easy walk back.

Hmmm... Never really thought of Altoids, but... might have to try that. I've never had a Charleston Chew.

Yeah they have strawberry altoids, and I also like the mini altoids they have. Charleston Chew - especially the mini ones, are really good too. Esp if you put them the freezer and want to break your teeth lol

One of the few areas of the US I haven't been near, yet.

yet.

Again...highly recommend. Makes me also want to visit surrounding states like Idaho and Wyoming...which I also never would have thought to visit but now want to.

Curious... do you remember the coleslaw? Was it cream or vinegar based?

Funny enough I do, it was vinegar based - just the way I like it. Not a big fan of the mayo based type.

I think I would've thought of that anyway, but... good advice.
Did you use yours? Glad you had it?

Yeah maybe should have gone into that on the TR lol. While I was prepared and had a headlamp...I decided once I had my fill of taking pics at Delicate Arch, and seeing all the people there, and now knowing what the hike was like, I chickened out of doing the return trip in the dark. I may have gotten more sunset pics...but I think it would have been pretty scary downhill down some of those rock faces, while also trying to stay away from people and not twist any ankles. So. I started my walk back at around 6:30pm so it was still light out and I didn't have to don my headlamp. If I go back I would probably try it...but not by myself.

So work on the way there, but easy walk back.

Definitely more work on the way back. Pretty easy on the way back, though there were some challenging bits that required a bit of strategy on where to put your feet. It was fun, but like I said...I don't think I would have enjoyed it in the dark.

Yeah they have strawberry altoids, and I also like the mini altoids they have. Charleston Chew - especially the mini ones, are really good too. Esp if you put them the freezer and want to break your teeth lol
Why would you do that?!?!? :laughing:
Funny enough I do, it was vinegar based - just the way I like it. Not a big fan of the mayo based type.
I like both, but much prefer the vinegar ones.
Yeah maybe should have gone into that on the TR lol. While I was prepared and had a headlamp...I decided once I had my fill of taking pics at Delicate Arch, and seeing all the people there, and now knowing what the hike was like, I chickened out of doing the return trip in the dark.
Oh! Then I guess you'll have to do a do-over with some sure-footed goat at your side. :laughing:

How amazing that you were able to concoct a plan to get your second vaccine and spend some time with your friend during your trip! I think it sounds like pure genius planning!

The arches are just WOW, totally breathtaking. I'm so glad you were able to go!!

Oh! Then I guess you'll have to do a do-over with some sure-footed goat at your side. :laughing:

Yes indeed!! I think I will create a new dating profile and say I'm in search of a sure-footed goat to hike with lol

How amazing that you were able to concoct a plan to get your second vaccine and spend some time with your friend during your trip! I think it sounds like pure genius planning!

The arches are just WOW, totally breathtaking. I'm so glad you were able to go!!

Thanks!! Yes the plan worked out really well. And the arches were so incredible!!! Well worth the trip.

May 11 continued....

Once I reached Delicate Arch, I sat there for a while and had some snacks including a bagel and some gatorade!! A little black bird came and sat right next to me hoping I'd share. I would have liked to but...I know you aren't really supposed to feed the wildlife. So I didn't! It was funny because I did really want a picture of me in front of the arch, but even with a selfie stick that wasn't going to be a great shot all on my own. Several people offered to take my photo for me. At first I said no thanks...because...I'm so covid-scarred and I was trying to avoid going near anyone...or having anyone touch my stuff....but then finally I caved and decided to go for it because I had no idea if I'd be back there anytime soon (or ever). So...a guy took my photo, and then after thanking him and walking far enough out of eyesight...I sanitized it thoroughly as well as my hands, and hoped for the best!! This was to happen again several more times and it continued to freak me out but I really wanted to make sure I got some photo ops!!

While it was really beautiful at the Delicate Arch...and the sunset is supposed to be spectacular there...I chickened out of doing the hike back to the car in the dark. I did bring a head lamp just in case, but after doing the hike on the way up in daylight and seeing what it was like, I decided it would not be fun on the way down in the dark, so I decided to depart before dusk. The walk back down was easier than the way up, but my legs were a little tired and there were some rocky steep bits that made me glad of my decision to cut out before dark!! Also, if you've been reading my TR's before, you might know I'm not a big fan of driving at night (or driving in general really) and so I was also glad to not have to navigate the roads out of Arches NP and into Moab in the dark either. I got out of there and into Moab and decided to go pick up some takeout from the Blue Pig, a BBQ place. I got the brisket with coleslaw (again, the vinegar kind @pkondz ) and it also came with cornbread which was really good. I made my way back to the hotel and had my yummy dinner while watching some House Hunters International on TV. It was a great day!

Wednesday May 12

Woke up early again, and went down for breakfast. Not a buffet these days, but kind of a serve yourself situation but without touching anything? Everything already portioned out. I grabbed some yogurt and a banana and some cereal and called it breakfast. Had some iced tea in my room to go with and took a muffin for a snack later. Hit the road around 7am for another day of exploring around Moab.

Drove over to Arches NP again, this time there was no wait to get in which was nice. I went and checked out double arch, portrait arch, the courthouse section, and a couple others. I did a few short hikes - nothing more than about 4k. Drove around a stopped at a few lookouts and took more pictures. I just couldn't get enough of all that red rock. So pretty and majestic. Once I had seen all the highlights or Arches, I decided to head into Moab to walk the main drag there and just check it out a bit more. As I may have mentioned...I was still pretty covid afraid and was determined not to go into too many places or be around too many people. That said, I could not resist going into a few souvenier shops. I got the required stickers for my car (also may have mentioned that the back of my car is pretty much covered in stickers, much to my kids' embarrassment... but there you have it, I always get more when I go somewhere new, and the collection has not grown much in the past year so...had to be done!) Picked up a tshirt for my mom and some other magnets and knick knacks on the way. I was getting peckish so decided to head back to Sweet Cravings for another sandwich since the one the day before was so good - again with the vinegar coleslaw!!

Right across the street I noticed the visitors center in Moab so I popped in there. I had the rest of the afternoon and the next morning still in Moab and wanted to know if there were any other Must-sees in the area that I could still get to with that amount of time. She suggested I go take a drive around Canyonlands NP about a half hour away, and also maybe check out Potash road, an area where there is some rock art and lots of rock climbers. She gave me some maps and I headed out!!

I went back to the hotel for a bit for a rest and then hit the road to Moab. I'm not a fan of driving, but in that area, the scenery is all so fantastic that the drive passes by super quickly!! But you do have to pay attention as the roads are windy and sometimes there are steep cliffs on one or both sides of you! I got to Canyonlands about 4pm. Of course, there was another entry fee, and it ended up being cheaper to get a year's Utah parks pass than to just buy another admission...so I did that. Now maybe I will have to go back this year and get more use out of it lol!! Canyonlands was also stunning. The most famous arch there is Mesa Arch. It was indeed something...but there were so many people there it was hard to get a good picture. I preferred the lookouts at the sides of the road. It was very much like what I think the Grand Canyon must look like. I have seen the grand canyon but only from the air so. Anyway, that was fantastic and I spent some time driving around Canyonlands. Funny enough, when I stopped to try to get a selfie, I ran into the same woman that took my picture at double arch!! so I figured if I didn't get covid from her that time...it maybe was safe to let her take my pic again lol

After I had my fill of Canyonlands and was getting tired of driving, I decided to head back towards Moab. When I was almost in town, traffic stopped and then was moving super slowly due to construction. I noticed right then that it was right at Potash Road - where the tourist info center had suggested I visit. So instead of sitting in traffic, I turned off and decided to check that out. I'm SO glad I did!! It was such a cool thing to see!! there was rock art, which was cool, but actually what I enjoyed even more was seeing people rock climbing. I'd never actually seen that in person before, and it was something!!

Yes indeed!! I think I will create a new dating profile and say I'm in search of a sure-footed goat to hike with lol
:laughing:
had some snacks including a bagel and some gatorade!!
Love the two exclamation marks.
Gatorade!! I had... Gatorade!!!!!! :cool1:
Several people offered to take my photo for me. At first I said no thanks...because...I'm so covid-scarred and I was trying to avoid going near anyone...or having anyone touch my stuff....but then finally I caved and decided to go for it because I had no idea if I'd be back there anytime soon (or ever).
Glad you found a way to have photos that worked for you. :)
So...a guy took my photo, and then after thanking him and walking far enough out of eyesight...I sanitized it thoroughly as well as my hands, and hoped for the best!!
:laughing:
Surreptitious cleansing. I'm betting we'll see more of that for a while. :)
Also, if you've been reading my TR's before, you might know I'm not a big fan of driving at night (or driving in general really) and so I was also glad to not have to navigate the roads out of Arches NP and into Moab in the dark either.
Ah. Another good reason to pull the plug a bit early.
I got the brisket with coleslaw (again, the vinegar kind @pkondz )
:thumbsup2
Not a buffet these days, but kind of a serve yourself situation but without touching anything?
How is that different?
Everything already portioned out.
Oh. That's how it's different.
I went and checked out double arch, portrait arch, the courthouse section
Those sound cool. Love when something is so impressive that it gets named.

Some things.
As I may have mentioned...I was still pretty covid afraid and was determined not to go into too many places or be around too many people. That said, I could not resist going into a few souvenier shops.
Good for you! Eventually (I hope!) you'll feel more and more comfortable doing that. :)
I got the required stickers for my car (also may have mentioned that the back of my car is pretty much covered in stickers, much to my kids' embarrassment...
::yes::
again with the vinegar coleslaw!!
:thumbsup2
I'm not a fan of driving, but in that area, the scenery is all so fantastic that the drive passes by super quickly!!
Love that. You should come here and go for a drive in Saskatchewan. You start with flat farm land. Hours and hours later, you see... the same farm land.
Of course, there was another entry fee, and it ended up being cheaper to get a year's Utah parks pass than to just buy another admission...so I did that. Now maybe I will have to go back this year and get more use out of it lol!!
::yes::
The most famous arch there is Mesa Arch. It was indeed something...but there were so many people there it was hard to get a good picture.
That detracts, but... then again, you're there, so... what are you gonna do?
It was very much like what I think the Grand Canyon must look like.
Ah. Another soul who has yet to see that.

Some day.
Funny enough, when I stopped to try to get a selfie, I ran into the same woman that took my picture at double arch!!
Really! What are the odds of that?!?!?
I noticed right then that it was right at Potash Road - where the tourist info center had suggested I visit. So instead of sitting in traffic, I turned off and decided to check that out. I'm SO glad I did!! It was such a cool thing to see!!
Glad you made the turn. :)

Ooh - so glad this all worked out for you! That was a smart idea, to get your 2nd jab in the US. I can't say that I blame you - I didn't go as far as you, but I did drive 90 minutes for each of dd and my jabs. I'm awfully glad we did, because they keep opening things up more and more. Plus, dd had an AP test at school today, and said they weren't doing a very good job of social distancing, so I'm extra glad she was fully vaxxed for it. I'm also gradually getting used to being more around people, although we were never quite as locked down as you guys were. We had one of dd's fully vaxxed friends over at the house, without masks, and it was very weird. But good.

I've been wanting to go to the Utah parks for a while, so that was a good preview! (I have been to the Grand Canyon before, and also the Badlands in South Dakota, for somewhat similar scenery. Wyoming and Idaho are very different, but both worth visiting!)

While it was really beautiful at the Delicate Arch...and the sunset is supposed to be spectacular there...I chickened out of doing the hike back to the car in the dark. I did bring a head lamp just in case, but after doing the hike on the way up in daylight and seeing what it was like, I decided it would not be fun on the way down in the dark, so I decided to depart before dusk. The walk back down was easier than the way up, but my legs were a little tired and there were some rocky steep bits that made me glad of my decision to cut out before dark!! Also, if you've been reading my TR's before, you might know I'm not a big fan of driving at night (or driving in general really) and so I was also glad to not have to navigate the roads out of Arches NP and into Moab in the dark either. I got out of there and into Moab and decided to go pick up some takeout from the Blue Pig, a BBQ place. I got the brisket with coleslaw (again, the vinegar kind @pkondz ) and it also came with cornbread which was really good. I made my way back to the hotel and had my yummy dinner while watching some House Hunters International on TV. It was a great day!
The hikes sound amazing! I love nothing better than having room service and watching HGTV when on vacay! So relaxing :)
Drove over to Arches NP again, this time there was no wait to get in which was nice. I went and checked out double arch, portrait arch, the courthouse section, and a couple others. I did a few short hikes - nothing more than about 4k. Drove around a stopped at a few lookouts and took more pictures. I just couldn't get enough of all that red rock. So pretty and majestic. Once I had seen all the highlights or Arches, I decided to head into Moab to walk the main drag there and just check it out a bit more. As I may have mentioned...I was still pretty covid afraid and was determined not to go into too many places or be around too many people. That said, I could not resist going into a few souvenier shops. I got the required stickers for my car (also may have mentioned that the back of my car is pretty much covered in stickers, much to my kids' embarrassment... but there you have it, I always get more when I go somewhere new, and the collection has not grown much in the past year so...had to be done!) Picked up a tshirt for my mom and some other magnets and knick knacks on the way. I was getting peckish so decided to head back to Sweet Cravings for another sandwich since the one the day before was so good - again with the vinegar coleslaw!!
Sounds like a wonderful day!
After I had my fill of Canyonlands and was getting tired of driving, I decided to head back towards Moab. When I was almost in town, traffic stopped and then was moving super slowly due to construction. I noticed right then that it was right at Potash Road - where the tourist info center had suggested I visit. So instead of sitting in traffic, I turned off and decided to check that out. I'm SO glad I did!! It was such a cool thing to see!! there was rock art, which was cool, but actually what I enjoyed even more was seeing people rock climbing. I'd never actually seen that in person before, and it was something!!
Love when those off the cuff adventures turn out to be amazing!

Those sound cool. Love when something is so impressive that it gets named.

Some things.

Yeah some of the arches had strange names I couldn't quite figure out why....but yes, names are good!!

Love that. You should come here and go for a drive in Saskatchewan. You start with flat farm land. Hours and hours later, you see... the same farm land.

Funny enough...my dad actually used to teach at the university in Regina eons ago...and one summer I flew out there and drove back to Toronto with him through the prairies...we ended up actually going south and driving through the US - because it was April and at the time my dad's thinking was that "if something goes wrong with your car out there...you're done" I don't know if that is an accurate representation...then or now...but I remember it to this day!

That detracts, but... then again, you're there, so... what are you gonna do?

Yeah...I guess you either wait in line to get "the" shot that everyone wants...or you make do with the less popular perspectives...I didn't feel like waiting so I got a side view instead, which was still pretty spectacular!

Ooh - so glad this all worked out for you! That was a smart idea, to get your 2nd jab in the US. I can't say that I blame you - I didn't go as far as you, but I did drive 90 minutes for each of dd and my jabs. I'm awfully glad we did, because they keep opening things up more and more. Plus, dd had an AP test at school today, and said they weren't doing a very good job of social distancing, so I'm extra glad she was fully vaxxed for it. I'm also gradually getting used to being more around people, although we were never quite as locked down as you guys were. We had one of dd's fully vaxxed friends over at the house, without masks, and it was very weird. But good.

I've been wanting to go to the Utah parks for a while, so that was a good preview! (I have been to the Grand Canyon before, and also the Badlands in South Dakota, for somewhat similar scenery. Wyoming and Idaho are very different, but both worth visiting!)

Yikes...the thought of an in person exam under these circumstances...ugh...talk about adding stress to something already stressful!! Glad your DD had her shot at least. That will be weird indeed to start having friends in the house again..it's going to take some getting used to but...looking forward to it!

I love nothing better than having room service and watching HGTV when on vacay! So relaxing :)

Yes!! Agreed!! Sometimes when doing that though I feel like I should be out doing more...but relaxing in a hotel room is so awesome for some reason!

Love when those off the cuff adventures turn out to be amazing!

Agreed!! I'm not usually brave enough to be that spontaneous, but I'm usually glad I did it when I can!

Thursday May 13

I woke up early again just because I was used to it!! But this morning I decided to take it slow and lounge around a bit. I was staying at a reasonably nice hotel with comfy beds, and I knew that this hotel was much nicer than the next one I'd be staying in...more on that later!! In any case...I went down to the pseudo-buffet downstairs and grabbed some toast, yogurt and fruit and juice, and also a muffin to have later as a snack. I watched some more trashy TV in the room and had a leisurely morning. I requested a late checkout so I could have the room until about 1pm. My next stop would be Mt. Pleasant, UT which was about a three hour drive away. I had no real plans for the day other than getting to Mt. Pleasant. After packing up, I hit the road just before 1pm when I had to check out.

The drive from Moab to Mt. Pleasant was again, absolutely stunning and ever changing. It went from the desert-like red rock to mountains and big trees and lakes and even some snow!! The road went winding up and over the mountains! It was also about three hours, but again, it went by super quickly...but boy you really have to keep your eyes on the road!! There were a lot of signs about conditions in winter and I got the feeling that the road I was on often had to close in winter because of conditions and possibly avalanches.

I stopped somewhere enroute to fill up on gas and get some more snacks. The Maverick station had a great selection of road trip snacks and I picked up some gummies and also something new to me lol...crackers with peanut butter AND jelly on them prepackaged? I couldn't resist, it seemed like the perfect thing to eat while driving! That said...that pit stop freaked out my covid scarred brain because there was a "no masks required" sign on the door...that almost made me not want to go in. But I did. I wore my mask anyway though. Even though by this point I was 6 days post dose 2 of vaccine. Anyway.

Made the rest of the amazing drive to Mt. Pleasant and got there around 4:30pm and checked in to the lovely Horseshoe Lodge Motel. This place is more affectionately known by a lot of the staff at my son's school as Schitts Creek (hopefully anyone reading has seen or at least heard of this show) The hotel is let's just say...a value resort to be generous. I'm really not a hotel snob but every time I stay here there's something. One time I think I may or may not have actually seen a bedbug. This time, they had some kind of water main break outside and the water was shut off from 7pm until 7am the next morning...of course, the night before my son's graduation!! Luckily enough it came back on in time for me to shower in the morning...but they had this big tank of water outside and buckets that we had to use to fill up (our own!!) toilet tanks if we wanted to flush during the night!!!

Why did I stay there (repeatedly?) you ask? Lol. Well again, comes down to my dislike of driving, especially in the dark on these windy dark country roads, and in this area I'm told this is actually justified because there are all manner of wildlife that enjoy jumping in front of cars at night. So. I braved the Horseshoe yet again. But the good news is...so did many other parents attending graduation and I got to hang out (outside and distanced) with a friend from San Fran who was there for her son as well. We made it super classy and picked up some cheap wine and sat outside our motel rooms on lawn chairs and caught up. It was actually a really fun night!

Funny enough...my dad actually used to teach at the university in Regina eons ago...and one summer I flew out there and drove back to Toronto with him through the prairies...we ended up actually going south and driving through the US - because it was April and at the time my dad's thinking was that "if something goes wrong with your car out there...you're done" I don't know if that is an accurate representation...then or now...but I remember it to this day!
One usually remembers traumatic events... :rolleyes1
Yeah...I guess you either wait in line to get "the" shot that everyone wants...or you make do with the less popular perspectives...I didn't feel like waiting so I got a side view instead, which was still pretty spectacular!
Or you do what I do. Take a tripod and either take a very long exposure, which erases people. Or take multiple exposures and get rid of them in Photoshop. :)
I went down to the pseudo-buffet
"pseudo-buffet"... like that.
I watched some more trashy TV in the room
Sounds like a perfect lazy morning. :)
The drive from Moab to Mt. Pleasant was again, absolutely stunning and ever changing.
You're really lucking out with the drives!
It went from the desert-like red rock to mountains and big trees and lakes and even some snow!!
Whoa! talk about your variety!
crackers with peanut butter AND jelly on them prepackaged? I couldn't resist,
:laughing: Of course you couldn't! How were they??
Even though by this point I was 6 days post dose 2 of vaccine.
You're not fully vaccinated until 2-3 weeks after, so you have a right to be nervous still. :)
This place is more affectionately known by a lot of the staff at my son's school as Schitts Creek (hopefully anyone reading has seen or at least heard of this show)
:lmao:
(Seen all of them.)
The hotel is let's just say...a value resort to be generous.
Oh dear
This time, they had some kind of water main break outside and the water was shut off from 7pm until 7am the next morning...of course, the night before my son's graduation!! Luckily enough it came back on in time for me to shower in the morning...
:eek:
but they had this big tank of water outside and buckets that we had to use to fill up (our own!!) toilet tanks if we wanted to flush during the night!!!
:lmao:
Why did I stay there (repeatedly?) you ask?
Thought had crossed my mind.
But the good news is...so did many other parents attending graduation and I got to hang out (outside and distanced) with a friend from San Fran who was there for her son as well. We made it super classy and picked up some cheap wine and sat outside our motel rooms on lawn chairs and caught up. It was actually a really fun night!
Perfect! I'm sure you fit right in!

Or you do what I do. Take a tripod and either take a very long exposure, which erases people. Or take multiple exposures and get rid of them in Photoshop. :)

Good strategy...though a lot of work lol!!! But may try that sometime!!

:laughing: Of course you couldn't! How were they??

Pretty good I must say!! I would buy them again for a road trip for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter