Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Yes, The YAH mugs have been discontinued. It broke my heart bc I still don’t have all the new WDW ones. (Looking at you Hollywood studios)
They changed the collection to Been There mugs for each state instead since that wasn’t the case before.

Yes, The YAH mugs have been discontinued. It broke my heart bc I still don’t have all the new WDW ones. (Looking at you Hollywood studios)
They changed the collection to Been There mugs for each state instead since that wasn’t the case before.

Thanks for the info. That's super sad. I kinda liked the YAH mugs ... even though I never bought them.
I just googled and found a picture of the "Been There" might for NY ... not a fan.

If they still have it, I need to look at the tumbler in January. I think I'm due for a new iced coffee cup soon.
They have the plastic large tumblrs and the ceramic hot beverage tumblrs. The plastic is just general WDW. The ceramic ones are each park specific.

What does that mean for WDW though? They were still selling them when I was there a few weeks ago.

I am not a fan of new "Been There" mugs, I much prefer the older designs. I am really, really bummed I don't have all of the YAH Disney mugs! I hope by some miracle they're still there in January... if not I hope the new design is better than what I'm seeing so far. What's interesting is they seem to be adding more locations- there was never a Nebraska mug before, but now there is (a very ugly one).

I am also sad about the starbucks mugs. I only have the Epcot and AK one and wanted to get additional ones on future trips. My BIL also collects them and we were going to get him a Dublin one, but not sure on the new design.

I'm very behind on this thread and cannot contribute to the coffee mug discussion as I don't own any. :(

However, I'm anxious to hear about the TA registration process.

And, add me to the list that doesn't like to call.

I don't have any SB mugs and probably won't get any. I've slowly been throwing mugs away that have been sitting and collecting dust. I have to do it when nobody is around. My family is a bunch of pack rats and will dig stuff out of the trash that I throw away. I love when they look for it 9 months later and I'm just sitting there like :confused3

I don't have any SB mugs and probably won't get any. I've slowly been throwing mugs away that have been sitting and collecting dust. I have to do it when nobody is around. My family is a bunch of pack rats and will dig stuff out of the trash that I throw away. I love when they look for it 9 months later and I'm just sitting there like :confused3
OMG. Hahaha. I am SUUUUUCH a pack rat. I have more coffee mugs than I know what to do with or can store. I just can't throw things away. It's a huge problem.

They have the plastic large tumblrs and the ceramic hot beverage tumblrs. The plastic is just general WDW. The ceramic ones are each park specific.

From what I've seen, the ceramic ones are much cooler than the plastic ... but I'd for sure break ceramic. So I'd go plastic, even though it's more generic.

Okay, lets not get too crazy about the mug situation. They changed the name, sure, but they also changed the graphics and they are AWESOME. It's basically the same thing with a new feel. As an avid Starbucks mug collector, I am actually excited for the new mugs. My husband is gonna kill me. LOL.

https://starbucks-mugs.com/category/been-there/

Meh ... I dont love the new feel. But I could see why it would be exciting for a collector.

I am not a fan of new "Been There" mugs, I much prefer the older designs. I am really, really bummed I don't have all of the YAH Disney mugs! I hope by some miracle they're still there in January... if not I hope the new design is better than what I'm seeing so far. What's interesting is they seem to be adding more locations- there was never a Nebraska mug before, but now there is (a very ugly one).

Agree with old being better than new.
Although ... interesting that they have a Nebraska now when they didnt before.

I am also sad about the starbucks mugs. I only have the Epcot and AK one and wanted to get additional ones on future trips. My BIL also collects them and we were going to get him a Dublin one, but not sure on the new design.

I'm sure you can get the ones you're missing on eBay ... for like 4x the price.

I'm very behind on this thread and cannot contribute to the coffee mug discussion as I don't own any. :(

I dont own any either ... hasn't stopped me from having a strong opinion.

However, I'm anxious to hear about the TA registration process.

Hopefully soon ...

Yeah ... I'm one of those pack rats like your family...

OMG. Hahaha. I am SUUUUUCH a pack rat. I have more coffee mugs than I know what to do with or can store. I just can't throw things away. It's a huge problem.

Ditto, just with other assorted crap, not coffee mugs. Most of my coffee mugs are actually full of office supplies.

WDW Marathon Weekend Part One: Booking The Trip

So ... travel agent.

Marathon Weekend will be my 8th WDW trip and 3rd runDisney trip. From what I understand, my first WDW trip was planned with the help of a travel agent ... but I was 13, so I really didn't know anything other than that the boat ride in Norway was creepy. Since then, I've booked all of my trips myself, including registering for 3 runDisney races (1 in 2015 and 2 in 2016). On our first runDisney trip (February 2015) we spoke to someone who had booked through a travel agent, but I still never even considered using a TA.

But ... things are different now. Work is ... work. But I don't get the sense that things happen very far in advance, so I'm hesitant to ask for time off this far in advance. Add that to the fact that I never know when something could happen that would make me unable to make the trip. So I kinda liked the idea of booking a trip that was (at least somewhat) refundable.

I'd heard good things about Acclaim Travel, so I checked out their website, but didn't do anything for a little bit. I also checked out Park and Preston (which was recommended by @Bree), but from what I saw on the website, they allow you to transfer your bib but not to cancel it (I might have been mistaken about that, though). The front runner at this point was Acclaim Travel, but I had a few questions, so I decided to call them and ask some questions.

I called Acclaim on Tuesday morning (after my meeting), and Pat picked up right away. She was very pleasant, and I asked her my questions.

Question: If I book multiple races, can I cancel one of the races without having to cancel all of them?
Even if I can get time off from work (which I'm hoping I can), I'm not sure how much time I will be able (/want) to take. So I may end up not wanting to do the 5K and just coming down on Thursday to do 10K and marathon, which means cancelling one race but running the other two
Answer: Yes
This was the answer I expected, but was still good to hear.

Question: Similarly, if I end up shortening the trip, can I adjust my hotel reservation and tickets accordingly?
Answer: Before a certain point, yes.
I already knew that there would be a point where I could no longer make changes, but I wasn't sure if making my reservation through a TA meant that I couldn't adjust it. I'm glad to hear that I can make changes if necessary.

Question: About the hotel - I know they have room blocks at Pop and Coronado. Am I correct in thinking that they can book any available hotel, but at rack rate?
Answer: Yes.
As some of you might be aware ... I'm going all out for this trip. I'm living the fancy life and staying at an Epcot-area Deluxe (first choice is Beach Club). There are a few reasons for this, which I may or may not go into later, but ... it was important to me that whatever TA I chose was able to book me the hotel of my choice.

Question: Pricing - when I looked a few weeks ago, it looked like a $25 deposit, but now it's full price - is that correct?
Answer: There was an early bird discount, but since it's close to registration (remember, this was before/during the rD announcement) it's up to full price.
This wasn't really a blocker for me - I'm fine with paying full price up front (that's what I always had to do when I registered on my own), but I just wanted to confirm so that I knew it wasn't a mistake and I could make an educated decision about what credit card to use.

Question: Registration process - I put all the races and the hotel in my cart on the website, then checkout, and ...
After looking at their website, I wasn't 100% sure about the purchase procedure, so I just wanted to confirm that that's how it goes.
Answer: Yes to all that.
As for next steps, they will get a quote and reservation for the hotel and send it to me (possibly in 5 days ... I don’t remember if she said that or I saw it somewhere, but I have that number in my head). Once I get the reservation number, I should enter it into my MDE, and email them back saying that it’s all good.
In terms of payment - I can pay all at once or over time – through paypal (don't need a paypal account, that's just how they process payments). Final payment due in November.
Jim sends out emails with reminders, tips.
In terms of actual registration – about a week after general registration, I will get a link from active
(again, this was before the announcement) inviting me to register as part of Pat Stone’s group, and from there it’s normal (minus the payment part).

Pat also encouraged me to call if I had any further questions. I definitely got the sense that she was happy to speak with me and would be glad to answer any questions I may have - she was super friendly and helpful. Definitely a good phone call expereince.

After speaking with Pat, I was fairly certain taht I wanted to book through Acclaim, but I wanted to hold off for a few hours to think about it.

And then ... runDisney.
Okay, I get that registering for races 9 months in advance is a little nutty. I get that Active has its issues and it may be possible for rD to do better. But ... I'm already stressed out about other things, and I didn't want this hanging over my head for another month and a half. I decided to just go ahead and book.

Booking was relatively easy. I added the races to my cart, and then the hotel, indicating that my first choice of hotel was Beach Club (I also put a second choice of Yacht Club in case BC isn't available). I put down the dates I was thinking and the park ticket I wanted (approximate price for the park ticket was listed). Charges were $178 marathon + $125 10K + $85 5K + $200 deposit on hotel. Once it got to the actual checkout part, it could potentially get a little time consuming, because you have to put down info for each runner and each hotel guest (even if the two overlap), but it was fine. I put in my credit card number, clicked submit (or whatever the appropriate button was), and that was it. I got an email invoice almost right away. And that's where we are now.

I haven't gotten my hotel info yet, but I'm assuming I will get that soon. So far, the "booking with TA" process has been great, and while I'm not saying I'll definitely do it again, I haven't come across any reason why I wouldn't. We'll see what happens with the rest of the process.

And ... that was booking the trip. If you have any questions about the process or anything, ask away!

Glad you made it through your phone calls! Jim seems great, too, and also easy to chat with on the phone. I gave up trying to book my own after taking time off twice during W&D registration. So easy.

BC is my absolute favorite resort. We also stay there if possible. We have only ventured to other places for a short stay.

That’s awesome about being able to cancel a bib with Acclaim! Makes it a lot less stressful when trying to figure out the work stuff.

Maelstrom scared my kids when they were little.

Thanks for sharing your TA experience!! I am definitely interested in this and will be looking into it a bit more. I want to call Disney direct and see what room rates are for that weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter