Millennium Falcon for Deaf Person

slyster

DIS Veteran
I’m not sure if I should post here or in the Disabilities forum. My wife is profoundly deaf and communicate using sign language. She and I are a big Star War fans and I know she is going to LOVE the opportunity to ride the MF.

However, from what i can tell, the ride relies on hearing instructions? I don’t want to create spoilers, but I heard there are 3 types of positions. Is one easier? I don’t want to put her in a position where she may not enjoy it if the ride relies on what your position does.

Any feedback you can give? I can interpret for her, but I don’t know what I can actually do once the ride starts.

The pilots are constantly "steering" but that's pretty intuitive and visual-based. When riders in any of the positions are supposed to take a specific action (press a button, etc.), they light up. If you brief the rider ahead of time, they shouldn't need to hear instructions to know when to take those actions. Hope that helps.

I would also add that, although the ride does respond to the actions of the riders, it's doesn't completely "rely" on those actions.

It's still fun even if you do a lousy job flying the ship, etc.
And believe me, plenty of people do a bad job! :rotfl2:

The closed caption device DOES have smuggler's run and Rise captions. (if you haven't gotten this- it's useful, rent each day from customer service) BUT- there is not anything to mount it to. For Smuggler's the ship also bounces, so my son couldn't hold it and pilot at the same time, and sometimes the device doesn't judge properly where it is so the captions don't time correctly. Star tours has a mount if you show it to a cast member, they will bring out a bracket that works in the middle row on certain ships- I wish they had one of those. I will say, we had one incident where our device died on a ride, and customer service actually gave us a return pass so we could repeat with the captions. If the ride is unintelligible and it effects enjoyment significantly, I would go speak to them.
It may help to know that you can preview the captions for any/all of the rides so you have an idea what to expect.
Also, on Smuggler's run things light up when you are supposed to press them or move them. I would probably go for gunner or engineer, not pilot as those back positions are a lot of "push this button that lit up" for the gunner you really just hit the button constantly the whole time.

I am not sure how much of the pre-shows they are doing at the moment, as I have not ridden it recently. But definitely get the closed captioning device - it will caption the preshow, so she will know what is going on. As others have said, the pilot job is mostly visual based, as you fly either up and down or side to side. The other two have buttons you push, and they light up when it is time to push them.

Also, not SW related, but as shows have started coming back, there are now interpreters in the parks again. I know they do things like the Frozen show in Epcot, and the bird show in Animal Kingdom. Here is a link to all information for deaf and hard of hearing people...

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/hearing-disabilities-services/
Hope that helps

Thanks everyone. Yes we always get interpreters for shows. I am used to interpreting pre ride stuff. I am an interpreter myself so it’s not a problem.

Having us as gunner or engineer may be easier if it’s pressing buttons. I will say even though she’s deaf she’s a better driver than I am LOL.

I’m just glad she will be able to do this ride. I was a little nervous it relies on hearing instructions mid flight. Glad to know a lot is explained before we enter the ride.

Thank you!!!

Thanks everyone. Yes we always get interpreters for shows. I am used to interpreting pre ride stuff. I am an interpreter myself so it’s not a problem.

Having us as gunner or engineer may be easier if it’s pressing buttons. I will say even though she’s deaf she’s a better driver than I am LOL.

I’m just glad she will be able to do this ride. I was a little nervous it relies on hearing instructions mid flight. Glad to know a lot is explained before we enter the ride.

Thank you!!!
I wanted to add that I have trouble understanding the instructions because of other noises as well as trying to pay attention to what’s happening on the screen. It didn’t make a bit of difference! The pilots are the only ones who get to look mostly at the screen to do their jobs; for the other two positions, the buttons they’re supposed to press are on the side wall. I found it made me queasy to keep looking back and forth, so I quit trying and just watched the screen. The CMs can set your position in automatic if you ask, which I did on my subsequent rides. So, having a vague idea of what we were trying to do was all I needed to enjoy the ride.

I wanted to add that I have trouble understanding the instructions because of other noises as well as trying to pay attention to what’s happening on the screen. It didn’t make a bit of difference! The pilots are the only ones who get to look mostly at the screen to do their jobs; for the other two positions, the buttons they’re supposed to press are on the side wall. I found it made me queasy to keep looking back and forth, so I quit trying and just watched the screen. The CMs can set your position in automatic if you ask, which I did on my subsequent rides. So, having a vague idea of what we were trying to do was all I needed to enjoy the ride.

thank you for the additional information. It is definitely helpful!

Btw - just to clarify some of this - there's no real obligation to perform the role that you're assigned. When you sit down, you can choose to not activate the console (a big flashing green button or switch), and the ride will handle that role automatically. So, if she's concerned at all, she could choose to sit and watch the ride the first time - take in the entire experience to get a feel for it before stepping in on a subsequent ride. But that's totally optional.

(For example, since they've only been loading one party per ride during COVID, I had the chance to fly the Falcon alone a couple of times last week. I was Right Pilot, the ship handled the other five roles.)

Gunner would probably be the safest first role for her if she did want to participate on the first ride, since it's mostly just pressing a single button over and over again, and she could watch the screen to see if/when the other Gunner (assuming there's another on the flight - or if it's you) is firing and just does the same thing. (I don't think there's any real harm in firing at the wrong time. To be clear, I think there's a second button to fire something specific late in the ride, but it's mostly just the first button.) Engineer is a little more involved - you basically have to punch a random set of buttons that come on when bad things happen - and you end up watching a lot less of the screen as a result.

Btw - just to clarify some of this - there's no real obligation to perform the role that you're assigned. When you sit down, you can choose to not activate the console (a big flashing green button or switch), and the ride will handle that role automatically. So, if she's concerned at all, she could choose to sit and watch the ride the first time - take in the entire experience to get a feel for it before stepping in on a subsequent ride. But that's totally optional.

(For example, since they've only been loading one party per ride during COVID, I had the chance to fly the Falcon alone a couple of times last week. I was Right Pilot, the ship handled the other five roles.)

Gunner would probably be the safest first role for her if she did want to participate on the first ride, since it's mostly just pressing a single button over and over again, and she could watch the screen to see if/when the other Gunner (assuming there's another on the flight - or if it's you) is firing and just does the same thing. (I don't think there's any real harm in firing at the wrong time. To be clear, I think there's a second button to fire something specific late in the ride, but it's mostly just the first button.) Engineer is a little more involved - you basically have to punch a random set of buttons that come on when bad things happen - and you end up watching a lot less of the screen as a result.
Thanks for these details! I was Engineer on our first flight and hated it because of having to turn sideways and push buttons - I couldn’t keep up with what was happening on the screen. I’m not going to activate in future if I’m Engineer or Gunner.

Wow! Okay, I’ll definitely have her read this thread. I overthink things. She’s all about being relaxed and just enjoying the experience. She may opt to let the ride handle her role automatically, but i also know she’s LOVES Star Wars and she may want to immerse herself more in the experience by taking on one of the roles.

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback. It’s been huge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter