Military Discount?

SD33

Mouseketeer
How does it work? We have a military family member who can get discounted tickets but do they need to go to Disneyland with us in order for us to use them? Or can they gift them?

I'm pretty sure for the super discounted military tickets, the person who was/is in the military has to be there with you.

My husband is military and my daughter and I take a Disney trip every year. He usually doesn't come with us. But we buy our military salute tickets at our ITT on base, at Disney they activate them at the ticket window, but I have to show proof of my military ID card (which shows that my husband is an active duty member).

Thanks for the replies, guys! Is there a less discounted military ticket that my father in law could gift to us that he wouldn’t need to be present for then? One other than the military salute? I don’t think he’ll be able to travel with us.

Thanks for the replies, guys! Is there a less discounted military ticket that my father in law could gift to us that he wouldn’t need to be present for then? One other than the military salute? I don’t think he’ll be able to travel with us.

There are regular Military discounted tickets that he can buy on base. Each base sets there own price. Looking at the price at Camp Pendelton the savings is about $6-8 per ticket plus whatever you would save on sales tax at the gate. These are regular tickets and do not need to be activated.

Just make sure he DOES NOT GET ARMED FORCES SALUTE TICKETS!!! (unless he is coming along)

For the military salute tickets, the most discounted tickets, the military member must be present and use one of the tickets.

Thats actually not true. I'm active duty and an AP, and I buy the military salute tickets for my daughter to use. Just have to be sure the ticket says "Guest of (servicemember)"

There are regular Military discounted tickets that he can buy on base. Each base sets there own price. Looking at the price at Camp Pendelton the savings is about $6-8 per ticket plus whatever you would save on sales tax at the gate. These are regular tickets and do not need to be activated...

There is no sales tax on DLR tickets in CA, so there should be no tax on tickets purchased at the booths.

Thats actually not true. I'm active duty and an AP, and I buy the military salute tickets for my daughter to use. Just have to be sure the ticket says "Guest of (servicemember)"

Yes there is an exception to the rule about the service member having to use one of the Salute tickets, if the service member has an AP. Also if the member is deployed, then the spouse can use his or her military ID to activate the tickets (and I think must use one of the tickets). In any case, Salute tickets have to be activated by the member or member-spouse at the gate with military ID. The regular military minimally discounted tickets can be given to anyone, is my understanding. www.militarydisneytips.com is a great resource.

Disneyland California is far more lenient about the rules than Walt Disney World in Florida. At WDW, the servicemember or spouse needs to activate the card with their ID for up to 6 tickets at guest services. They will keep track in their system of your name, and they will not allow you to activate more than 6 salute tickets per calendar year. If you are present to activate the tickets initially, then the 5 guests with you can come back to the parks without you joining them until the ticket is used up (there's usually a cutoff date at the end of the year).

At DL California, the procedure was much different and I just had to show my ID at the turnstiles the first time we entered the parks. They didn't log anything in the computer. This was 3 years ago, so I'm not sure if anything has changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter