Mickey's Christmas Party to start trip?

bbeagle

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW in December, first time for my 2 kids (14 and 6). Has anyone STARTED a DisneyWorld vacation with a night-time Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party on arrival day?

For an afternoon arrival (3:00-4:00ish), should we book a night-time party, or just relax at the resort on night 1?

Funny you should ask because we are in the same situation. Not sure if we will be wiped out before we begin or have a blast to start things off. Was thinking just to take the day after as a hotel/relax day.

For me it would depend on how I was traveling. I would be very concerned about a late or canceled flight with party tickets on arrival day. Might consider it if I was driving.

For what it's worth, we started our trip last year with a party our first night (the Orlando Informer Meet-Up), and it left me feeling wiped out the rest of the trip. I swore to never do that again, although that party ran later than MVMCP, so maybe MVMCP wouldn't be as bad in that regard. Even without the fatigue concern, though, I don't think I'd do a party on arrival day if you are flying. There have been so many cancellations and delays, I wouldn't want to risk missing it.

Funny you should ask because we are in the same situation. Not sure if we will be wiped out before we begin or have a blast to start things off. Was thinking just to take the day after as a hotel/relax day.
Would the kids expect free Mickey bars or cookies every day at MK after experiencing it at a party the first night? :)

When driving, depending on how long a drive I might consider it but would prefer later in the trip.

If flying I would not book due to uncertainties with flights, especially in December.

We are always exhausted the first day of travel, though we fly not drive. I think it’s also important to consider whether you need to be up early the following morning.

After reading these comments, and some thought, we have decided to still do the party, but at the END of our trip. There's a party the last full day of our trip - on December 22, and we'll attend that one. Probably will be a lot busier, but it might be more enjoyable as we have no 'must dos' by that point in our trip, just watch the 'snow' falling, the parades, eat cookies and relax.

We are driving, and we want to make it leisurely, so we might arrive at Disney at 3pm, might arrive later, like 8 or 9pm. Depends on how long we spend at the largest ball of twine, or whatever roadside attraction we see on the way :)

I think it will be a nicer feeling not being in a rush on the first day to have something scheduled at a certain time. We will probably enjoy the fireworks while eating a room-service Ohana meal in our room. I hope they start that up again soon so we can do that!

Last edited:
We are going to WDW in December, first time for my 2 kids (14 and 6). Has anyone STARTED a DisneyWorld vacation with a night-time Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party on arrival day?

For an afternoon arrival (3:00-4:00ish), should we book a night-time party, or just relax at the resort on night 1?

Totally up to you and your park touring style. We've done a party on the first full day at WDW but we arrived late the night before and did a half day at DHS, then to our resort and then to the party as our first day of our trip. We had two more full park days after that and we were fine. I think a party would be fine if you have a fairly relaxing drive in and aren't rushed to get to the park.

We've never done a party on arrival day but we have headed straight to a park and stayed until closing which was past 11 pm. It really had us feeling exhausted the next few days. So I would go with doing it at the end of the trip.

We always shoot for parties for our first day! In fact we have one booked for this year. We drive and split the drive into two days. So we will drive most of the way one day, spend the night about 3-4 hours away, and then get up well rested and head to resort! We will then get unpacked and settled, and head to park. Can get in MK with our MVMCP as early as 4 and then it doesn’t use a day of our park tickets which is awesome! Plus, we are able to almost completely do MK that night and that leaves us open for the other parks the rest of the trip. We will usually head back to MK for a few hours at some point just to hit our favorites again. I think it makes our trip much more enjoyable because we get so much done our first night! With our touring style, we are always out late, do rope drops and come back for a mid day resort nap/pool break. So it doesn’t cause us to be exhausted starting our trip, because it’s the same schedule we do anyway.

Would the kids expect free Mickey bars or cookies every day at MK after experiencing it at a party the first night? :)
I believe the cookies and hot chocolate are included but not the Mickey bars (those are incl in after hours events, in addition to popcorn water soda. Last year’s party was an after hours party).

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/mickeys-very-merry-christmas-party-review-tips/

Our family loves the Mickey bars btw and we buy them at home (target and Jewel carry them) as well. It’s preferred to any fancy cupcake every time. It’s so much more special to have one at MK. Go ahead spoil them!

Last edited:
After reading these comments, and some thought, we have decided to still do the party, but at the END of our trip. There's a party the last full day of our trip - on December 22, and we'll attend that one. Probably will be a lot busier, but it might be more enjoyable as we have no 'must dos' by that point in our trip, just watch the 'snow' falling, the parades, eat cookies and relax.

We are driving, and we want to make it leisurely, so we might arrive at Disney at 3pm, might arrive later, like 8 or 9pm. Depends on how long we spend at the largest ball of twine, or whatever roadside attraction we see on the way :)

I think it will be a nicer feeling not being in a rush on the first day to have something scheduled at a certain time. We will probably enjoy the fireworks while eating a room-service Ohana meal in our room. I hope they start that up again soon so we can do that!
That sounds like an awesome plan! Love Poly!

Just filled out a survey on our just-completed Poly stay, and I wrote in that they need to bring back room service and that it needs to include Twilight Feast. Hope that helps!

In the absence of room service though, I did like being able to get Kona Cafe to go.

We had that option. We have ever had luck trying to do anything arrival day. First trip we flew in and after going to our room went to Epcot for an ADR and did a couple rides and then Illuminations. It was really rough on my youngest and we were dragging (rest of the family drove, my four flew). Second trip we drove and did a low key arrival, just dinner in Disney Springs (Boathouse) still really rough, my youngest was really cranky. FWIW my youngest has different needs/abilities. So this trip we are flying/renting a car. The plan at first was to to Wawa and head to the room and chill. I saw there was a party the first night and although the youngest is approaching teenage years, I am not going to push my luck. DH asked for a date night so we're going to do a date night and the teenagers will feast on food and electronics while they decompress the first night/day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter