• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MICKEY & US. Day 3 - we enterthe time warp.

Poohshoney

<font color=6666CC>Ya-ya sister!<br><font color=gr
Carol (40, British) – dangerously Disney obsessed.
Roland (35, German) – puts up with me somehow.

Mickey – our beanie, on his first trip `home´.

Tuesday, 23 April 2002

We slept badly, as you do. By 5am we both admitted defeat but couldn’t summon the energy to actually get up. It wasn’t as if anything would be open yet. We were amazed how long it took to get light – I kept thinking we’d got the time wrong. Our Mickey was also up and smiling as happily as ever. He was a present from my aunt and uncle and is now an established member of the family. I tied him to my bag using lime green ribbon in the hope (unfulfilled) that it would catch a Diser’s eye and he went most places with us.
I have one or two problems with allergies (putting it mildly). We never did find out exactly what it was that caused the big red splodges on my face when I got up that morning. We think it might have been the pillow. I upped my tablets and they eventually merged so I just looked sunburnt. But no splodges were going to spoil our magic!
We knew we’d be up early so decided we might as well make good use of an early start - Animal Kingdom today!
Just when you think you’ve got everything under control… Two things went wrong early on, but they both turned out for the best.
Firstly, I hadn’t really left the PS numbers at home, had I? Yes. So I rang up for our Boma booking number for that night. What booking? Pardon!! I stopped having a heart attack when it was agreed I could make a new one. That’s all right then. And I made it a little later, which was much better. Secondly, we’d got half way to AK before I realised I'd left some of my tablets in my other bag. Rather than turn back we decided we’d go back later. We might need a rest by then anyway. Might? Famous last words.
We were at the entrance by ten to nine, our vouchers clutched in our (very) hot sticky hands and then we entered the time warp. You see, something strange happens to me when I go to America – I turn into Mary Poppins. Well, my voice does. I find myself enunciating each syllable as perfectly as possible. I just want people to understand me and eventually they do (apart from the Chinese waiters in San Francisco but they thought I was hilarious so that was ok). It’s just that there’s a time delay. I say something, they listen and then there’s this pause whilst their brains translate it into American English. Then they reply and we start the whole procedure again. It’s a w-e-i-r-d feeling, like being in a time warp. If I could stop being Mary it might help but I can’t, I've tried. The CM at Guest Relations coped with me and we went to the gate.
“Push your fingers right in.” I heard that almost every time I did the biometric thingy. I can’t help having short fingers, ok! Other than that we never had any trouble. Unless you count the fact that I kept putting three fingers in by mistake. I don’t think we’ll count that.
And then the moment we’d been waiting for arrived – we were in a park! The moment had finally arrived!! Excitement!!! Now Roland and I have a lot in common but walking speed isn’t one of them. I might be a foot shorter but I move like the blazes unless forced not to. Luckily, Roland had done some reading so he knew about getting to the safari early so we did quite well – a bit slower than if I hadn’t had a husband on my hand, a lot faster than Roland normally likes being dragged at. When we got to the safari the CM said the wait was 20-25 mins. FP was 40 mins, so we went for standby. And the CM was spot on – it was the only time in the whole 2 weeks that the posted wait didn’t exceed the reality.
The queue moved nice and quickly. The woman behind us was moaning loudly about how she hated people who push in, just as a man walked by us to join his family. Now he was legit – the Dutch couple following him weren’t. I understand Dutch quite well, well enough to understand him tell her they’d better stop before someone complained. He stopped behind me so the woman went back to him. They picked the right place – the woman behind us was so entranced that they were Dutch she let them push in! Hmmm, I wouldn’t have…
The safari was absolutely brilliant! Even better than hoped for. We had a very good guide who slowed right down when we were near the animals – I got some surprisingly good photos. It was definitely a must-do again but not for now.
Instead we wandered back down to Bug. I'd spent two years saying no way! Two weeks before we went I surprised Roland by changing my mind. I'm absolutely petrified of crawlies. (Yes, I know I'm bigger than them and that they can’t hurt me but logic doesn’t come into it – I'm terrified of them and that’s all there is to it.) But I'd been consulting the oracle (aka Nancy) and I knew what to expect. And I'd seen some of the Bug film and that had been ok. Muttering my mantra (Mickey wouldn’t hurt me, Mickey wouldn’t hurt me), we wound through the tree’s roots, Roland continually asking if I was sure. I wasn’t but I was being brave and wasn’t letting on, which he could tell. I promised I wouldn’t do anything daft and in we went. The posted wait was 10 mins and we were in in 5 – didn’t even have chance to take any photos. And I survived! I missed the sting – I was so uptight I was on the edge of my seat. Caught the bugs leaving though – yuk! With me feeling supremely smug, we went out again into the baking heat.
We did a lot of wandering about in AK so that we got things done (we figured we’d see the scenery later). Next up was Lion King. The cereals were wearing off so we bought a pretzel. We live in the heart of German pretzel country – there are pretzel stands on every street corner, they’re freshly baked and they’re delicious. Disney pretzels look similar but bigger and the dough is sourer and less salty. We prefer ours but they were a bit too far away. The CM at the stand was so nice. She explained the money to us and then wanted to know if our Mickey was antique. Turned out our boy didn’t look like the American Mickey beanies, his face is different. We think he’s far more handsome but maybe we’re biased.
Rushed up to Lion King 15 mins before the start and got some very nice seats in the giraffe section. `Princess´ was with our section and she was just lovely. The little girl didn’t know what noise a giraffe makes but Princess helped her so sweetly. It was that moment when it finally struck me: we’d entered a beautiful new world. That Disney feeling washed over me as all my cares slipped away. Pure magic.
Roland liked the show, I loved everything about it. Of the Disney shows we saw, that was far and away my favourite. With me humming away to myself, we went back out to be melted a bit more. Did I mention it was hot? We were almost outside when I felt my bottom being pinched. But we’re at Disney! As I was turning round in shocked disbelief, a little hand moved from my bottom to my hand. His mum, who had his other hand, turned then and saw him strung between us - we had to laugh. Cute!
Dinosaur next – posted time 10 mins, reality 5 mins. We love Indiana Jones in California and could see that the Dinosaur technology was the same but we didn’t enjoy it anywhere near as much – it was too dark which meant not enough to look at. We both felt the same – thankful we hadn’t queued for long. We knew we wouldn’t be back.
We’d read about Dinoland but the reality was still a shock. We thought it looked cheap and nasty and completely out of place. Disney can and should do better.
Our luck with short waits held – we got to Tarzan 15 mins before the start and had no problem finding seats. What did we think of it? Well… we thought the monkeys were very good, the singers had good voices and Tarzan and Jane were also good but weren’t on long enough. But we thought the show was terrible. It just wasn’t the sum of its parts. And we hated the Tarzan’s mother thing. It was the ugliest character we’d ever seen - people started walking out in droves as soon as she appeared. We wished we had by the time it had finished. Unless they revamp this one we’ll never be back.
The heat was even more oppressive when we got out. The other must-dos on our list were in Asia so off we went. It seemed even hotter there. Having done so much, we finally took more time to look at the scenery. AK is so nicely themed, so beautiful. The animals on the Tree of Life are amazing and it can be seen from so many places. We’d really looked forward to AK and it didn’t disappoint.
Kali River Rapids is where our tentative plan got thrown out the window. We were both feeling the lack of sleep and the heat I keep mentioning wasn't getting any less. The standby time was an hour and a half, FP was almost as much. It was unanimously voted a `next time´. Food! Though not too much because of Boma. As we were in Asia, let’s have something Asian, we thought and went to the Chakranadi Chicken Shop. They had pot stickers on the menu – I'd been dying to find out what those are so I asked the couple behind us but Mary struck again. It took four repeats before they understood me and then they’d never heard of them either so we had chicken fried rice. It was easier. Roland thought it was awful.
I thought it was ok – just.
Feeling a little better we headed for the Maharajah Jungle Trek. Very beautiful. Most of the animals were dozing in the shade (wished we could) but there was one bat who wasn’t. I'm having trouble telling you what he did as this is a family board. Ermm… the clue’s in the gender. He washed himself and it was amazing as he moved the bit he was cleaning to his mouth, not the other way round. Wow. The kiddie next to us kept saying, “What’s he doing?” The mum completely and utterly ignored the question – but she couldn’t tear her eyes away! The show ended when he went behind closed wings.
What to do next? Admit to ourselves that we were dead on our feet, that’s what! We spread our visit out a little longer by exiting the park via all the shops. I was surprised how readily Roland agreed to this – turned out it was the air conditioning he was after. We were both surprised at the number of people leaving. It was just over an hour to the parade but they were exiting in droves, with hardly anyone going into the park.
We drove back to CBR and were again wowed by the place; it really is very pretty. Thankyou Mousekeeping for the towel duck in our room – no child was ever more excited! We had a shower and a rest then got spruced up for Boma.
We found AKL without any problems. As we’d be spending our last three days here, we were looking forward to a sneak preview. The car park was a shock. There was absolutely no cover anywhere, not a tree nor nothing - it had to be the hottest place in all Florida. Are genuine African car parks like that? The shower turned out to be a waste of time. Feeling decidedly damp, we walked into the deliciously cool lobby. Perhaps they make it as hot as possible outside just so you appreciate the hotel. The pictures we’d seen didn’t do the lobby justice. Understatedly stunning. We were due at Boma so a full reccy would have to wait. Boma’d only been open 15 mins but the joint was already hopping. We had a short wait before being shown to our table. Our waiter was a bit of a disappointment – the larger parties next to us got far more attention. Couldn’t be because the tip would be bigger, could it? Perish the thought.
I agree with everyone who says Boma is dark and the acoustics are bad – but we loved it anyway! It also manages to be warm and welcoming. We hit the buffet as if we hadn’t eaten for a week. I found a couple of things I could eat (my allergies make eating out difficult – I like buffets because there’s a greater chance of finding things I can eat safely) and did what I usually do – stuck to those things in copious amounts. I can put a lot away for my size! (Trouble is, the size increases with each putting away). Roland was in seventh heaven with all the choices – he especially loved the beef. The choice was very varied so I think even the pickiest of eaters would find something here. Change that to thought. The woman at the next table (I'm a people watcher – that’s polite for nosey) ate a little macaroni cheese, a huge amount of fruit and a cookie. I reckon she was there to please everyone else – nice one lady!
The only attention we’d had from the waiter was when he’d told us to make sure we left room for the fourteen desserts. Fourteen! Pinch me someone, I must be dreaming. I made sure I obeyed instructions, difficult as it was. We tried the famous zebra domes – Roland loved them. I thought they were ok but my heart was lost to the fudge brownies. I would like to live on those till I die please. Death by fudge brownie. Feeling very full, we asked for the bill. Then gazed round. We couldn’t believe how many people had seemingly taken all fourteen desserts and then just nibbled a bit of each one. The wastage was incredible. The four women at the next table had taken seven each and split them between two. Three of them simpered how they couldn’t possibly eat much and didn’t. The fourth one looked at them as if they were mad then tucked in – that’s my kind of woman!
We couldn’t for the life of us remember how to tip in America. Do you leave it on the table? Tell the waiter to round the bill up? When in doubt… ask the waiter. He very quickly explained we could write it on the bill, then gave us a l-o-n-g lecture on how low paid US waiters are and how 15% was the least you should offer. We suggested he move to Germany where he’d be paid a decent wage - he couldn’t think of an answer to that.
Seriously, we always do tip that much but we think it’s scandalous that in this day and age people are still kept in virtual serfdom, relying on the charity of others. I'd throw all restaurant, etc owners in prison until they agreed to pay a living wage. I feel very strongly about this but I'll come off my soapbox now.
We finished off with a toddle round the Lodge. It took our breath away. Roland stays in some very posh hotels but he reckoned the Lodge held its own against them. Out on the rock we saw zebras and other animals munching contentedly – there’s nothing like the first time you see them. And it’s so romantic at dusk. Roland proved again how wonderful he is by insisting on taking a photo of me. “But I'm covered in splodges and my hair’s a mess.” “But you look so pretty.” How could anyone resist that, hey girls? He’s lovely!
Back at CBR we walked the opposite way round the lake so that we could see the other villages. Glad we weren’t in Trinidad South – it’s nearer the real Trinidad than the food court. We picked some milk up on the way back and the day ended with some splendid undubbed telly – Frasier’s one of our favourites and we hadn’t seen it in over a year and a half. Disney, Boma, Frasier – pure bliss!

Next, Day 4 – I know just how Tippi Hedron felt.

:wave:

What a super report, I'm really enjoying these.

We're leaving on Thursday so hope there will be a few more to read before then.

Thanku for the write up on Boma we are going there our first week.

Very excited.

Love

Karyn.

Thanks Karyn - hope you have a fantastic time! Where are you staying?
In case I don't get that far by Thursday, we did Boma twice more, for dinner and breakfast, and it was still brilliant!

Another brilliant report. Thank you for sharing it. :D

Ah, Boma's :) I felt as though I was right back there for a moment. Great stuff!

Karyn, I'm a bit behind reading the reports, but I'm glad I've got a bit of time now. This was lovely. I know exactly what you mean about the heat at AK as we often go in Aug!!!!! Lion King Show is the GREATEST!!!!! I'm off to the next part. Carolyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter