MICKEY & US - Day 2. Why's it always my suitcase?

Poohshoney

<font color=6666CC>Ya-ya sister!<br><font color=gr
Carol (40, British) – dangerously Disney obsessed.
Roland (35, German) – puts up with me somehow.

Mickey – our beanie, on his first trip `home´.

Monday, 22 April 2002

We groaned ourselves awake when the alarm went off. It wasn’t easy, despite the excitement, but the excellent shower helped. Breakfast prior to seven a.m. meant helping yourself from an extensive cold selection. We appreciated the peace and quiet (we once stayed at a place that `guaranteed a smile every morning´. Our host turned out to be a drunk, still smiling from the night before). We couldn’t have faced a full English that early anyway. The taxi driver was waiting for us when we staggered out so off we went.
Check-in was a dream – friendly and efficient. And I think we got as close as we’ve ever been to a free upgrade. I was psyching myself up to ask for one but I blew it by asking for an address for customer services so I could praise Stuart, et al. Well, I could hardly ask for an upgrade then, could I - my motives might have been misunderstood. But then William suddenly started hammering on his computer. “Your flight’s fully booked.” And he sounded disappointed. I reckon if it hadn’t have been, we’d have been laughing all the way to the gate.
And now, oh joy, the shops - let me at ‘em! I know other people go mad for the cheap electrical goods and duty free but that wasn’t what we were after –living abroad, there’s things you miss. We looked at everything but saved the best till last -Smith’s and Boot’s! Sad isn’t it. Books and magazines for me, chocolate and sweets for Roland, logic problems for us both. Bliss!
The time passed slowly but peacefully. I tried working out who all the `stars´ were featured in my magazines - it’s amazing how quickly things change. Roland watched the world go by. We went to our gate as soon as we could, amazed at how many people there were -we thought a Monday would be quiet. The UK security people took Roland very seriously. He got lots of close questioning, pattings down and his shoes swabbed. The bloke was very good – he explained to us exactly what he was doing and why. Then all three of us stood round the machine, waiting for the result. Funny isn’t it? Even when you know you’ve not been anywhere near explosives, you immediately start thinking of ways you might have. Sighs of relief – negative result.
We were pleased to be flying BA because of their seat back TVs. We’d had them with Virgin and couldn’t imagine such a long flight without them. Turn your imaginations on – no seat back tellys. The plane looked and felt as if it was nearing the end of its useful life but as it was the only criticism we had, we can’t complain. The service was very good, the food was definitely edible and we got more sleep without the TVs, which was good. And we were well stocked up on things to pass the time! We did try watching a film with Robert Redford and Brad Pitt but it was a poor quality screen with people wandering about between it and us. And what we could see was boring. The second film was Ocean’s Eleven. I might have watched that but it had long started before we noticed. Why don’t they tell you?
Roland always has the window seat, me the middle. The man on the aisle was on his own and very chatty. He said he’d been going to Florida for ten years, visiting friends who lived there, and he knew everything there was to know. Great – let’s do a little obsessing! Hmmm, how can I put it? Let’s just say he’d never heard of Fantasmic. I could quote more but that just about sums it up really. Having wowed him with my knowledge, he agreed that I probably knew more about WDW than anyone else who’d never been.
The flight was uneventful though a bit too turbulent for my liking. (Sign of things to come.) We had a fantastic view of the Bermudas from the plane. It looked so beautiful. And we caught sight of Kennedy Space Centre.
The joy of landing in Florida was spoilt by the woman in front of us whacking her daughter across the face for a triviality. We were so shocked we were immobile. The woman continued as if nothing had happened, her husband just looked embarrassed, didn’t say a word. As the little girl didn’t cry, we assumed it was a regular occurrence.
We eventually all piled off the plane and headed through immigration, etc. We chose the longest queue as always, and did the first leg of the MCO-hokey cokey. You put your suitcase in, you take your suitcase out…. Then off to the next lot of security where Roland was third-degreed again. Well, we thought smugly, you won’t find anything. But they swabbed his rucksack straps as well this time! And the man wasn’t nearly as friendly as the one in London when he disappeared behind his machine, looking solemn. I was torn between worrying about Roland being carted off and the delay in getting to our suitcases - I'd read horror stories of people’s suitcases disappearing before they got there. Time dragged but eventually we got the go ahead and we raced off to the monorail and baggage claim, just in time to catch Roland’s suitcase before it disappeared back through the curtain. Relief. But where’s mine? We waited. And we waited. We’d put them on together… And we waited. I was convinced it had been stolen and was getting very distraught (another nasty D word). The number of cases coming out dwindled to next to nothing and was mostly reruns. 25 minutes later the miracle finally happened - I thought it was a mirage, then couldn’t stop hugging Roland when it wasn’t. It was my suitcase! We were both weak at the knees. Why’s it always my suitcase?!
Onto Avis. We’d wanted onsite and as Avis was joint cheapest with Dollar anyway, Avis it was. We’d previously filled in a form with all relevant info, endearing us to the Avis lady no end. I was prepared for the upgrade spiel but it never came. She just asked if we wanted to bring it back empty and when we said no, she told us how she should have known her first husband was a wrong ‘un when her mother didn’t like him. But mother liked the second one we were pleased to hear. Just don’t ask me how we got there! All joking aside, we were extremely impressed with all of Avis’ service and heartily recommend them.
Got the car, drove out - realised we were obvious tourists as we were the only ones observing the speed limits. We didn’t care – we didn’t want a fine.
Isn’t Florida flat? Why are the houses all such a horrible taupe? Is that a shopping mall? No, it’s a school. I did the navigating, which worked surprisingly well. It doesn’t normally. I'd read that WDW signage was bad but we thought it was fine. And then we were there – Caribbean Beach Resort!
Check in went brilliantly thanks to CM Nancy. And we were given twenty Disney dollars - it was a refund for all the phone calls I'd made, trying to sort the booking problems out. Thanks Disney!
We drove apprehensively to our room – what would it be like??? It was perfect!!! I'd requested a quiet, top floor room and that’s just what we got – and more! We also got a courtyard view, corner room in what we thought was the prettiest village by far – Jamaica! We couldn’t believe our luck. The rooms were so nice - I even liked the green paint and I'd hated it in photos. We were VERY happy.
A quick shower, fresh clothing and then off on a food hunt. We were completely bowled over by CBR. The grounds, Parrot Cay, the lake, it was just SO lovely. The whole ambience was so welcoming, we felt right at home from the first moment.
We had a quick look at the shop but couldn’t see the milk. Now my friend Nancy said there was milk so there had to be! Onto the food court – it was the only thing at CBR we didn’t like. Poor choice, bad system. I told a CM server my wrap order seven times and it still came out wrong. Though later CMs in the food court and shop were more efficient, they were sometimes indifferent or even rude. The refill stations were absolute chaos. But it didn’t spoil CBR for us - we just avoided it as much as possible. After our wraps, we tried looking for milk again. And Nancy was right – of course! We bought milk and cereals for next day’s breakfast in our room and toddled off to Jamaica.
This is a long trip report – it was a long day. We had an `early night´ at 8:30 (2:30 a.m. back home). We were too tired even to go out again when we heard the Epcot fireworks, never mind go to a park. But we were there! We still couldn’t believe our luck.

Next, Day 3 – We enter the time warp.
:wave:

sounds like you were off to a good start, can't wait to hear the rest.

So you liked CBR, then? ;)

I'm so glad you've finally got to WDW - and I'm looking forward to hearing ALL about it!

Glad you and your cases caught up with each other in the end. CBR is lovely isn't it? Carolyn:jester: :jester:

Glad to hear you got your case.

CBR sounds so nice.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter