Mickey Power!!! - July 2019 - Once Upon a Time When DHS Opened After Sunrise - 2/27

Sorry to hear the service at Via Napoli was slow. I know they used to have servers that dealt solely with drinks. I remember in years past if I so much as took one large sip of my water, one of the servers was there topping me off. So it's a shame to hear that's slipped over time.
Actually, now that you mention it, you're right. I don't remember if they did that this time or not.
Oh dear....kids love to pick the most inconvenient time to completely melt down. Ironic that he made your wife's life a little hectic while she was in the process of buying him a treat.
I mean if she'd just given him some of her Grey Goose Lemon Slush to begin with, he'd have been perfectly happy.
Taking away the fountain was tough news! I do wish they could have kept that iconic piece of Epcot. But you're right, seeing Spaceship Earth at the end of a long park day is the truly memorable part of an Epcot visit.
::yes::
Via Napoli is for the most part always a good choice, we have been many times and I think only once we had super slow service!
I still think it is a great choice. It wasn't the greatest service this time, but I also wouldn't call it horrible. The food was still fantastic!
The shaved ice from Japan is always a yummy treat, glad it helped your son feel better!
from your reports, the kids do really well on long days! We get cranky after a long one haha 🤣
They really do!
So happy to hear that he is doing well. I am sure that was a very stressful time for your family.
I am surprised they don't have more shade there.
I wonder if/what the play area will be like once the construction is complete.
I love Via Napoli and it really can be very economical for a large group. Too bad your service was a bit of a miss though.
::yes:: We're a big fan! Service was a bit off, but I'm sure we'll go back next time!
"Threenagers" are the worst! When they melt down, they do a thorough job of it. Anyone who has kids would totally understand though.
Threenagers… that's pretty appropriate!
I like Sunshine Seasons for their healthier choices.
It does have some really nice options.
Perfectly descriptive ride names! :rotfl:
Mexico more so than Arendelle… but just staying with the theme.
I loved Illuminations too.....lots of great memories associated with it. Change is good though and I am looking forward to what is to come.
::yes:: There are some good memories from the show, but it has gotten long in the tooth... I'm ready for whatever is next.
It certainly is! :goodvibes

Ok, it varies. The DAS CM is holding an iPad in front of the ride. In many cases, they are right there standing near the entrance to the FP and Single rider lines. The only 2 exceptions we noted were that they were out on the bridge as you approach Slinky Dog at a stand that was set up for them specifically and then across the "street" from Expedition Everest. Every other time they seemed to be just hanging around near the entrance of the ride where you actually enter the queue area.
Noted! Thanks!
It is Disney World wide!!! They started it this summer. Paper straws only and no lids. We did manage to find a couple of places that had them, but I think they were just using the last of the inventory.
Ugh... I knew about the paper straw thing I didn't realize they weren't putting lids on drinks either. That might take some considerations..... 🤔
As I’ve mentioned in a couple of posts, R did well in his surgery and as of right now, things are looking pretty good for him.
:yay::dogdance: That's good to hear!

First of all, I want to say thank you for bearing with me in my long absence from the boards over the past couple of months. As I’ve mentioned in a couple of posts, R did well in his surgery and as of right now, things are looking pretty good for him.

I'm so glad to hear this!

Then Mom could use the RS and Dad would take R’s MB and the older kids would get 2 rides on it.

Nobody loves child swap more than the older kids.

I noticed on her nametag that she was a CP from Purdue University, which is where I went to school. We chatted just briefly, but it was kind of cool to see someone from around here and made me wish I'd have tried to do the CP thing back in the day.

That would be fun. I keep wondering if I should push my daughter in that direction.

I had lost all track of time at this point and when I looked at my phone I realized we were running late for our ADR!

:scared1:

I’ve always felt that Via Napoli is not only delicious, but if you get a pizza or 2 rather than ordering individual meals, it is really one of the best bargains around as far as table service goes.

I agree on all counts! And it's a badge of honor to finish the Mezzo Metro pizza.

What better to do after stuffing yourself than sit in a dark, air-conditioned theater?

Thankfully, it worked as planned and R fell asleep.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Apparently, B loved it, everybody else felt like it was a bit too loud.

Welcome to Grumpy Old Man status!

I felt bad that I wasn’t there when it happened to help, but I was at least thoughtful enough to get her another lemon slush, which I knew she needed at that point!

One husband point for you!

As we made it to Canada, it was near time for our Imagination FP so we decided to go on around to use it.

I don't know if I've ever seen "Imagination" and "FP" used together like that before.

By the time we finished eating, R was very restless. After eating so well at lunch, he hardly touched his dinner.

Always a good feeling when you spend $12.99 and the kid stares at it.

It turned out to be a good purchase, because she uses that backpack often to haul doll clothes, books and her kindle when we go somewhere and she needs some entertainment to take along with her.

Nice job reading her signs.

However, as it tends to go, even if it isn’t super crowded Disney guests step up to the challenge to make it feel crowded.

Oh, man. I hate that so much. People suck.

My first visit to Disney World was when it was just MK and EPCOT... and EPCOT was only a few years old. I do feel like EPCOT needs an update. I’m not opposed to change. We’ve seen a lot of it in the park over the years.

I felt like it needed an update last time, too. I loved the old Future World, but I understand the difficulty of keeping up with constant technological change. And it didn't help that (in my eyes) the latest updates to Soarin' and Mission: Space made those rides worse.

Losing the fountain is a hard pill to swallow though.

Agreed.

I look forward to seeing the new EPCOT, but I’m going to miss the look and feel of the park I grew up visiting. Regardless though, Spaceship Earth will still be there and it is always a beautiful sight to behold as you’re leaving the park at night!

Also true!

As I’ve mentioned in a couple of posts, R did well in his surgery and as of right now, things are looking pretty good for him.

Good to hear.

After we got out of Via Napoli, we decided to go check out the American Adventure. What better to do after stuffing yourself than sit in a dark, air-conditioned theater?

Perfect recipe for a nap lol

She had her hands full and a screaming 3 year old flopping around like a fish out of water while holding up the line. She was pretty embarrassed and upset by the whole thing.

Oh no. I'm sure it was stressful for her but I'm sure all parents have been there!

I felt bad that I wasn’t there when it happened to help, but I was at least thoughtful enough to get her another lemon slush, which I knew she needed at that point!

That sounds like the best help you could've been!

49466245152_d7686e7113_c.jpg

What a gorgeous family picture!

And of course, the picture with the border is the worst one they took.

My complaint exactly! Just let me add the border myself!

We headed across the park once again to take the kids on another couple of cruises on It’s a Small Mexico while Mom and Dad rode It's a Small Arendelle.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

However, as it tends to go, even if it isn’t super crowded Disney guests step up to the challenge to make it feel crowded.

So accurate.

Noted! Thanks!
:thumbsup2
Ugh... I knew about the paper straw thing I didn't realize they weren't putting lids on drinks either. That might take some considerations..... 🤔
::yes:: It really makes it a challenge, especially with the kids.
:yay::dogdance: That's good to hear!
Thanks!
I'm so glad to hear this!
Thanks!
Nobody loves child swap more than the older kids.
True story.
That would be fun. I keep wondering if I should push my daughter in that direction.
It would be fun. I think encouraging her to explore it would be great (and give you an excuse to visit), but obviously she's going to have to be the one that wants to do it. However, just seeing what little I've seen of her personality through your TR's, she seems like someone who could be a great CM.
I agree on all counts! And it's a badge of honor to finish the Mezzo Metro pizza.
::yes:: And we did. We got one Mezzo Metro and one regular round pizza. I honestly don't remember which ones we got since I lost my notes so I didn't go into details. But we ate a lot of pizza!
Welcome to Grumpy Old Man status!
Hey, I was back row chillin with the stroller. I wasn't the grumpy old man!
One husband point for you!
I need all I can get.
I don't know if I've ever seen "Imagination" and "FP" used together like that before.
Well, we had been in WS all afternoon so decisions might have been impaired slightly.
Always a good feeling when you spend $12.99 and the kid stares at it.
Nice job reading her signs.
Occasionally we can get one right with her. The sunglasses she had to have, she wore once, I think.
Oh, man. I hate that so much. People suck.
I felt like it needed an update last time, too. I loved the old Future World, but I understand the difficulty of keeping up with constant technological change. And it didn't help that (in my eyes) the latest updates to Soarin' and Mission: Space made those rides worse.
Very true... I don't hate the new Mission Space, but don't get me started on Soarin.
Nice! My girls went leather only... Star Wars pattern and Haunted Mansion pattern.
She's very much into glittery things... so this was right up her alley.
Good to hear.
Thanks!
Perfect recipe for a nap lol
Oh no. I'm sure it was stressful for her but I'm sure all parents have been there!
Yeah, it happens, but it sucks when it does. 3 year olds are not the easiest to reason with either.
That sounds like the best help you could've been!
I do what I can.
What a gorgeous family picture!
Thanks!
My complaint exactly! Just let me add the border myself!
::yes:: They take away features and raise the price. I kind of liked the customization from the old Photopass.
So accurate.
Sadly, it is.

Sick of Princesses

We began our Thursday morning, bright and early. We had plans to be at MK at Rope Drop – ish. We really weren’t planning to rush to any popular attractions that morning, so we didn’t need to push to the front, but still wanted to take advantage of the low crowds in the morning.

We parked and took the Ferry across to MK. We had to wait a bit and were cutting it close on time so it was probably 15 – 20 minutes after the park opened when we made it in.

R was not in a good mood that morning. He was throwing a fit as we got through tapstiles and didn’t want to ride in his stroller. The kid likes popcorn so we stopped at the cart just inside the park to get a souvenir bucket of popcorn.

The breakfast of champions.

I told him if he’d ride in the stroller, we’d give him popcorn to eat and that deal seemed acceptable by a 3 year old’s terms.

We had FP for 7DMT. We planned to do a ride or 2 beforehand, but by the time we made it back to Fantasyland we decided to just go ahead and use the FP while we were there. Mom decided she wasn’t going to ride so she stayed with R while dad took R’s band to ride with us. We chose not to RS this time around in order to save time and the kids didn’t really seem upset about only getting to ride once.

49468877826_6e21c79615_c.jpg

49468388923_24658e6ff8_c.jpg

We headed on into Storybook Circus for a quick spin on Dumbo and then Barnstormer. By the time we got to Barnstormer, it was already a 15 minute wait. I was fine doing that once, but when the kids wanted to ride again, we encouraged them to move on.

B asked to stop and visit her favorite princess, Ariel. It was a 20 minute wait, but we had time before our next FP. DW decided to take her. Mom and Dad wanted to get something to eat and I hadn’t had a cinnamon roll from Gaston’s Tavern yet so we headed that direction.

I got in one line to order while Mom got in another. Here’s where I get frustrated with this place.

I was 4th in line when I got there. It took 15 minutes to get a cinnamon roll!

Granted, there was a customer that had to split their payment, part on dining plan credits, part cash. And they didn’t tell the cashier beforehand so it took getting a manager involved and that took plenty long. But really, when you have 1 CM taking the order, taking the payment, then turning around to get a cinnamon roll, pour the drink, etc... it is just a slow, painful process in a crowded line.

Finally, I got my cinnamon roll then went to the water station near the door to get cups of water and refill our bottles.

Meanwhile, as we’re getting our snacks, R and Dad found a spot outside to sit and wait. I came out to find R holding an empty popcorn bucket.

I asked Dad what happened to the popcorn. Did he spill it somewhere?

No, he ate it all!!!

About the time we were finishing our snacks, DW and B made it over to us. Apparently, B had a great meet with Ariel. I wasn’t there and I don’t know what they discussed, but they got a lot of great pictures!

49468387973_a215348d7b_c.jpg

49468387698_0ee1dd06f5_c.jpg

49469104447_2ba2e82d5e_c.jpg

49469104422_e24de0653a_c.jpg

We made our way across the park to use our next 2 FPs at Pirates and then Jungle Cruise. As you can see, R wasn’t too crazy about the dark ride and being surrounded by pirates. JC was another long FP wait once again. We made it maybe 1 switchback closer than we did a few days prior before we caught up with the back of the line. The ride itself was a bit of a letdown from the skipper we had our first time around. The skipper this time just felt like she was going through the motions and almost reading from a script in a monotonous way.

49468388493_016f1b96bd_c.jpg

49469108667_2569f9cbe9_c.jpg

49469108547_a663d78be1_c.jpg

As we were in the queue for JC, I managed to grab FP for the Flying Carpets (because I knew the kids would ask to ride and I ain’t waiting 20 minutes for that!) We rode it and then parted ways with Mom and Dad. We had an ADR for CRT that we were not able to change to add them to. They planned to grab lunch at CHH and ride HM before meeting up with us after lunch.

We headed to the castle to check in for our lunch. We were there 20 minutes before our ADR. I didn’t think that was excessively early... I usually try to shoot for 15 minutes early when I can. There was a big crowd standing around and I approached the check-in podium. Before I could say anything the lady asked me what time my ADR was for. I told her. She told me I’d have to wait for them to call my time before I could check-in.

It really was a screwed up system, and I’d never experienced it being run like this in our past visits. People were arriving and clogging up the area outside the restaurant. They’d call a time out and everyone who had an ADR for that time was scrambling to get to the desk before everyone else. Others were lining up close by in anticipation of their time being called. It was just rather chaotic and off-putting.

When they finally called our ADR time and allowed us to check-in, we were immediately ushered into the waiting area downstairs in the castle.

Which was completely empty.

They walked us right up to Cinderella, and rushed us through pictures.

Literally.

They are always encouraging you to set your things down somewhere off to the side for pictures, right?

49469107627_0f6d7b18c1_c.jpg

49468389663_350227d770_c.jpg

See me still wearing the backpack? They didn’t even allow me time to take it off. I had to rush to get up there with R for the picture and they were already calling our name to go be seated. As you can see I wasn’t even looking at the camera for either picture we got! One picture I had just stepped into place and was trying to get R to look at the camera, and the next one, I’m looking at some guy yelling my name. We were literally the only family in the room, we were meeting with Cinderella and the dude called our name twice. Like, really? Yes, we heard you the first time, let us get a picture and we’ll be there!

It was really a rushed meet with Cinderella, and with princesses being the main reason you book that meal, it just didn’t start us off on a good note.

We were seated and our waitress seemed fine. She took our orders and soon we were visited by Snow White. While Cinderella was subpar, Snow White was probably the best princess interaction I can remember ever having. She came up to us and spent several minutes at our table.

R was being shy so she asked him if he was Bashful. He turned his head and frowned so she said he must be Grumpy. But she really wanted him to be Happy so she kept working at it to try to get him to smile for her. She spent some time with the other kids too, but she did an amazing job of talking to them and relating it to her story and really was just incredible.

49469108872_4507a92f13_c.jpg

49468880501_c78f956040_c.jpg

49468391968_c07799f53b_c.jpg

Next up was Princess Aurora. She was... there? Really no interesting conversation there, but she got some good pictures and tried to get L to interact with her. L really didn’t want to join in princess pictures and R was still feeling shy and didn’t want to participate either.

49468881286_398f2e1d27_c.jpg

49469109982_11f6db701e_c.jpg

She really tried to get L to interact with her, but he wasn’t feeling very princessy.

49468881621_007ba33b46_c.jpg

Ariel finally got him to come around though. I don’t know if you can tell, but B took that dress to change into for lunch. The print on it is The Little Mermaid. DW was kind of disappointed that she forgot to change her for the meet in the Grotto that morning.

49469110457_290bd31056_c.jpg

49469111022_bc9f7ef967_c.jpg

We’d met the princesses and had our meals. Rapunzel had just missed us when we came in so the character attendant stopped by while we were eating and said she’d be bringing Rapunzel by our table after they did the wishing star ceremony thingy.

Yeah, I’m a good TR writer. I don’t remember what they call it.

Rapunzel came by just as we gave our server our dessert orders.

49468882671_42252723e3_c.jpg

49469111307_813509ddfc_c.jpg

L decided that R needed to join the picture. DW told him not to squeeze him around the stomach like that.

49468882991_e5557685e5_c.jpg

Apparently, she knew what she was talking about.

Approximately 10 seconds after that picture was taken, as I was taking R to put him back in his seat, R, my left arm, a chair and the end of our table ended up covered in vomit.

I was grabbing baby wipes trying to clean up the best I could as R was freaking out. I was already collateral damage so I was trying to keep R with me and keep it all away from DW and the older kids.

DW got our server’s attention and told her what happened.

I was thinking that she’d alert the custodial crew and implement whatever the protocol is in Disney restaurants when this happens.

Instead she came back carrying a stack of napkins and our desserts.

And yes, she sat my plate down in a puddle of vomit.

I don’t know if she didn’t realize what happened when we first told her... I mean we were trying to be very discrete and quiet as to not bother other diners in the restaurant. But at this point I made it very clear to her what had happened and told her I was leaving to get cleaned up and get some clean clothes.

B was freaking out at this point. She is always afraid of getting sick whenever she hears of someone else having a stomach bug. She was partly afraid she’d get sick and partly scared that there was something wrong with R. As I’ve mentioned, with his health history, there are a lot of things we have to monitor and signs we have to watch for. Vomiting is a huge red flag.

R was pretty calm by this point, but wasn’t happy that his shirt was wet.

I just picked him up and got out of the restaurant. I told DW that I was going to get clothes and we’d meet up later. I went into Sir Mickeys which had nothing but glittery dresses. Considering we needed a shirt for me, and a full outfit for R, I just decided to go to the Emporium where I knew I could find what we’d need for both of us. As I was walking the skies clouded up and it cut loose pouring.

Oh well, we’re changing clothes anyway!

We managed to find a shirt for R and shorts that would fit if I really tied the drawstring tight! I got myself a T-shirt and we headed to the restrooms by the First Aid station to get ourselves washed off and changed. The pukey clothes went in the shopping bag and I knew we’d be visiting the laundry room back at the resort that night.

It was still raining pretty hard so I called DW to let her know where we were. They had met up with Mom and Dad and were waiting the rain out inside Sir Mickey’s so I let them know that we’d head that direction when the rain let up.

With all that, I really don’t care to go back to CRT anytime soon. We’ve done it a few times and it has never been my favorite, although I’ve always been willing to do it for B because she loves it.

There were some external factors this time with R that didn’t help, but honestly, I wasn’t very impressed with our meal. The salad didn’t taste very good, or very fresh. I picked at it for a little bit, but I couldn’t choke it down. The entrée was fine... but for that price I want better than fine. I missed my dessert, although that wasn’t the restaurant’s fault, but I left the meal still kind of hungry. Between the food not being great, the chaotic check-in process and the rushed meet with Cinderella, I was just really disappointed with our experience there. The only positive I can come up with from our meal there was Snow White.

We had to make a call at this point. Do we leave the park? Do we stay? Does he have a bug of some sort? Is there something going on with his shunt? Does he have an abdominal blockage? Is he ok now?

As we were mulling it over and trying to discuss our options, we saw this happening off to the side.

49469112007_c4f3e33580_c.jpg

Clearly, he was feeling better by now. We determined that it was likely just a mix of several factors. I mean, he ate a whole bucket of popcorn by himself that morning, it had been very hot and L squeezed him around the stomach. We figured we’d just keep a close eye on him, make sure he drinks plenty of water and stay in the park.

Hopefully it isn’t a mistake!

EWWWWWWW! :crazy2:
As I was walking the skies clouded up and it cut loose pouring.
Of coarse it did. Because that's the way things work.
I missed my dessert, although that wasn’t the restaurant’s fault,
Actually, I'd say that waitress was partly to blame there. They had many different options to help deal with that situation rather than just ploping down food into a puddle of vomit.

You got some lovely photos earlier in the day and I love the one with your dad and son sword-fighting but boy that was a rubbish visit to the castle (with the exception of Snow White)! Yours is the 2nd report I've read recently by someone less than impressed by the new way of checking in and being rushed for your photo with Cinderella is just plain ridiculous-especially at the price your paying! Hoping R was ok for the rest of the day and it was just a case of too much popcorn and excitement. Sorry your meal was such a disaster. Hope the rest of the day is more fun!

R was not in a good mood that morning. He was throwing a fit as we got through tapstiles and didn’t want to ride in his stroller. The kid likes popcorn so we stopped at the cart just inside the park to get a souvenir bucket of popcorn.

I told him if he’d ride in the stroller, we’d give him popcorn to eat and that deal seemed acceptable by a 3 year old’s terms.
Sometimes bribery is the only way.
Meanwhile, as we’re getting our snacks, R and Dad found a spot outside to sit and wait. I came out to find R holding an empty popcorn bucket.

No, he ate it all!!!
Wow!
About the time we were finishing our snacks, DW and B made it over to us. Apparently, B had a great meet with Ariel. I wasn’t there and I don’t know what they discussed, but they got a lot of great pictures!
These pictures are the sweetest!
We made our way across the park to use our next 2 FPs at Pirates and then Jungle Cruise. As you can see, R wasn’t too crazy about the dark ride and being surrounded by pirates. JC was another long FP wait once again. We made it maybe 1 switchback closer than we did a few days prior before we caught up with the back of the line. The ride itself was a bit of a letdown from the skipper we had our first time around. The skipper this time just felt like she was going through the motions and almost reading from a script in a monotonous way.
That's too bad. The skipper really makes or breaks the Jungle Cruise experience.
See me still wearing the backpack? They didn’t even allow me time to take it off. I had to rush to get up there with R for the picture and they were already calling our name to go be seated. As you can see I wasn’t even looking at the camera for either picture we got! One picture I had just stepped into place and was trying to get R to look at the camera, and the next one, I’m looking at some guy yelling my name. We were literally the only family in the room, we were meeting with Cinderella and the dude called our name twice. Like, really? Yes, we heard you the first time, let us get a picture and we’ll be there!
They really need to rethink how they are doing this. What an unpleasant experience!
R was being shy so she asked him if he was Bashful. He turned his head and frowned so she said he must be Grumpy. But she really wanted him to be Happy so she kept working at it to try to get him to smile for her. She spent some time with the other kids too, but she did an amazing job of talking to them and relating it to her story and really was just incredible.
Snow White sounds lovely!
Approximately 10 seconds after that picture was taken, as I was taking R to put him back in his seat, R, my left arm, a chair and the end of our table ended up covered in vomit.

I was grabbing baby wipes trying to clean up the best I could as R was freaking out. I was already collateral damage so I was trying to keep R with me and keep it all away from DW and the older kids.

DW got our server’s attention and told her what happened.

I was thinking that she’d alert the custodial crew and implement whatever the protocol is in Disney restaurants when this happens.

NO!!!! That could not have been handled more poorly. :eek:
B was freaking out at this point. She is always afraid of getting sick whenever she hears of someone else having a stomach bug. She was partly afraid she’d get sick and partly scared that there was something wrong with R. As I’ve mentioned, with his health history, there are a lot of things we have to monitor and signs we have to watch for. Vomiting is a huge red flag.
So scary! And poor B....so upsetting for her
There were some external factors this time with R that didn’t help, but honestly, I wasn’t very impressed with our meal. The salad didn’t taste very good, or very fresh. I picked at it for a little bit, but I couldn’t choke it down. The entrée was fine... but for that price I want better than fine. I missed my dessert, although that wasn’t the restaurant’s fault, but I left the meal still kind of hungry. Between the food not being great, the chaotic check-in process and the rushed meet with Cinderella, I was just really disappointed with our experience there. The only positive I can come up with from our meal there was Snow White.
That is a less than sub-par experience and absolutely unacceptable. Considering the amount of money you pay for that meal, the food should be good.

Love the ride photos from SDMT- everyone seems to be having a good time!

Wow- R REALLY enjoyed that popcorn!!

The situation at CRT sounds so chaotic. I love that pic of L with Aurora, he is just not about it! :rotfl:

Oh nooo I'm so sorry about R. But I'm even angrier at how the server handled it! To bring your desserts while there's vomit at the table is so unacceptable.

Offff course it started to rain while you went to get new clothes. Luck was not on your side :(

Don't blame you for not wanting to go back to CRT any time soon.

Such a cute pic of R and Dad. Hopefully he was feeling better!

Our plan for the day was to get a ride in, then grab some lunch and enjoy World Showcase with no real master plan of things to accomplish.

Sounds like a great plan.

We approached the ride and had a neat, but brief interaction with the CM handling RS duties. I noticed on her nametag that she was a CP from Purdue University, which is where I went to school. We chatted just briefly, but it was kind of cool to see someone from around here and made me wish I'd have tried to do the CP thing back in the day.

Just so you know there is no age limit on the DCP. You just need to be a registered student at any college and have completed 1 semester. Of course the pay for DCP is a whole lot less than we make as adults and you would have to leave the family behind.

Are you living in Indiana? The reason I ask is DD's boyfriend is doing an internship at Bayer at the seed plant. He's living at Purdue and not enjoying all the snow.

I left DW to continue shopping and took him outside to the play area behind Mouse Gears. He liked running around and playing a lot better than being confined in the store. That spot could use more shade though... mid-day, mid-July, mid-Florida. It was hot!

I wanted to find this playground in December for JP but never did thanks to all the construction.

The food was excellent as always, however, this wasn’t the best service we’d ever received. We kind of wanted to get our pizza, eat and be on our way. I realize that’s not the way of the Italians as a meal is supposed to be an event. But come on! It took quite a while to get drinks, our cups did go empty a few times so that we had to catch someone to ask for refills and it took a bit to get our bill settled. It wasn’t horrible service by any means, but it certainly could have been better.

I read another review on a report that had the same issue. Slow service and waiting for bill.

After we got out of Via Napoli, we decided to go check out the American Adventure. What better to do after stuffing yourself than sit in a dark, air-conditioned theater?

Love this plan! I've even napped in here.

But as we discussed splitting up, the CM realized R was asleep in the stroller and told me I could take the stroller in the theater and sit in one of the park benches at the back.

The CMs will also let you take a sleeping child in a stroller in restaurants. I think it's a nice touch. Sorry it messed with your snack plans.

Nice picture!

We stopped by the kiosk in Japan for some kakigori to enjoy while we watched the drummers perform.

Good choice.

Good family photo. I'm guessing R had a red kokigori?

DW and I got the Rotisserie Chicken and Pork Loin entrees and tried a little bit of each others’ meal. It was good. A nice change of pace for a quick service meal, but nothing I’d really want to go out of my way for.

I've had both these meal and enjoyed them. They're great for when you get tired of burgers, pizza and nuggets.

We were right next to a trash can on our right side. I made the mistake of moving out of my spot for a split second to help R get situated a little more comfortably in his stroller. As I had turned, these 2 ladies slipped in right next to me in the spot I’d been standing between the trash can and stroller. It really wasn’t even a big enough spot for them to stand in, as I noticed one of them was even squeezing herself partly on/between the trash can and rail.

This just stinks.

I might have made some off handed comments under my breath.

To be a fly on the wall?

Spaceship Earth will still be there and it is always a beautiful sight to behold as you’re leaving the park at night

Yes it is.

OK, just got through the first update when I realized there is a second one. I need to get Fran up from her nap on to Trader Sam's so I'll finish my comments here and then be back.

The plan was that DW and I were going to take the older kids and we’d grab a RS pass. Then Mom could use the RS and Dad would take R’s MB and the older kids would get 2 rides on it.

Not having kids we've never taken advantage of Rider Swap, but you guys seem to have it down to a science!

I’ve always felt that Via Napoli is not only delicious, but if you get a pizza or 2 rather than ordering individual meals, it is really one of the best bargains around as far as table service goes. We chose to share a couple of pizzas at our table and got a kid’s menu cheese pizza for R.

With a big family I can totally see that, but even with two of us, it's a good deal as well, we order an appetizer and a pasta and come out stuffed for only a little money.

Our next stop was to see the Guardians of the Galaxy – Awesome Mix. We approached the theater just before showtime. R was in the stroller and a CM approached us pointing to an area outside the rope where we had to park the stroller. I told everyone to just go in and I’d go walk around. Selfishly, I was thinking of what drink I could put in my hand while they watched the show, so it really didn't bother me at all to make that sacrifice.

Best plans thwarted......

But as we discussed splitting up, the CM realized R was asleep in the stroller and told me I could take the stroller in the theater and sit in one of the park benches at the back.

That was nice of her, but I'd rather be lurking in the back with an adult beverage.

As we were doing this, R woke up and flipped out.

Oh no! 😯

She was pretty embarrassed and upset by the whole thing. I felt bad that I wasn’t there when it happened to help, but I was at least thoughtful enough to get her another lemon slush, which I knew she needed at that point!

Or two..... :rolleyes1 Oh wait, that's me! :laughing:

The highlight of Sunshine Seasons, for us anyway, was that they still had real straws and lids at the drink stations! We considered grabbing a handful of each to throw in the park bag to use through the rest of the week. Probably should have, but we didn’t.

I've started carrying metal straws in my purse, and in the cars. I just can't stand those paper straws and they're serving them everywhere in California even Fast Food places.

I took her to Mouse Gear to buy it and a stuffed Figment while everyone held our spot down for Illuminations. It turned out to be a good purchase, because she uses that backpack often to haul doll clothes, books and her kindle when we go somewhere and she needs some entertainment to take along with her.

That's great when you can get them something that they really like and use, even possibly cherish.

I’m really nostalgic about this park. My first visit to Disney World was when it was just MK and EPCOT... and EPCOT was only a few years old. I do feel like EPCOT needs an update. I’m not opposed to change. We’ve seen a lot of it in the park over the years.

Funny I was touring the park yesterday with a guy, who is definitely a curmudgeon (self admittedly), I'm sure @Captain_Oblivious can attest to his curmudgeon status, and he is perhaps a few years older than you, as he remembers the opening of Epcot. As we walked around the torn up park he wanted to cry. Eventually he had to admit he had not gotten past anger and moved on to sadness at the removal of the innoventions buildings and so many other memories from youth that park held for him.

Yes, even for me whose first visit was over 10 years after the park opened, I loved the fountain. I can't imagine what they could put in that would be better.

I keep wondering if I should push my daughter in that direction.

You should keep suggesting it. She sounds like she might be an awesome Imagineer. I realize that me and some of my friends are more localized to make it a possibility, but one of my friend's daughters was just accepted into Culinary in the DL CP. It didn't hurt that they are friends with an Imagineer and her father is a Firefighter at DL, but she had a day shadowing some of the DL Chefs about a year ago. Evidently she impressed some people cause now that she is in the program one of the Chefs told her that he has big plans for her.

You never know where a break can come from!

It is certainly a challenge with him. While he's hit almost all developmental marks, his behavior in some ways seems to me to be a little behind that of a 3 year old.

I think it might be too early to make comparisons. With different families, all of the challenges he's been through, boy vs. girl, etc... hard to be sure if there is a true deficit.

I've got a cousin who has a daughter that was born 1 week to the day after R. She is a head taller than he is, talks so much better than he does (actually plays with B and it is almost like she is closer to B in age than R) and she behaves better. We were at a family thing over the winter when she was running around yelling and they scolded her and she calmed down. Then they started talking about how great she is doing at learning her alphabet, spelling her name, yada, yada, yada. I know it was kind of a dig, because meanwhile R is screaming like a banshee and beating L with a lightsaber. I'm biting my tongue like, yeah, but she ain't near as tough as this dude is.

See above... ^

But the passive aggressive digs aren't appropriate. :(

Super happy to hear this!

Our plan for the day was to get a ride in, then grab some lunch and enjoy World Showcase with no real master plan of things to accomplish.

Sometimes that is the very best way to tour. And I think EPCOT, especially WS is the best place to do this.

We approached the ride and had a neat, but brief interaction with the CM handling RS duties. I noticed on her nametag that she was a CP from Purdue University, which is where I went to school. We chatted just briefly, but it was kind of cool to see someone from around here and made me wish I'd have tried to do the CP thing back in the day.

Oh that's cool!! Love those connections!

. I left DW to continue shopping and took him outside to the play area behind Mouse Gears.

It's weird that Mousegears is gone, but that the playground is still there.

This was one of the ADRs that I was able to change to add Mom and Dad to, so we were all going to be dining together.

Nice! Really glad that worked out!

Ulterior motives FTW!

but I was at least thoughtful enough to get her another lemon slush, which I knew she needed at that point!

You da MAN!!

Dad has some medical conditions going on and it really makes it important that he gets out of the sun and off his feet fairly often so a big part of the afternoon was just finding a shady spot to hang out.

Hugely important with compromised health. I saw far too many tourists down on my last trip.

It turned out to be a good purchase, because she uses that backpack often to haul doll clothes, books and her kindle when we go somewhere and she needs some entertainment to take along with her.

Perfect!! I love souvenirs that I can actually USE.

Yes, for sure! I still hope they replace A fountain.

You're on VACATION and there are no breakfast rules.

We had FP for 7DMT. We planned to do a ride or 2 beforehand, but by the time we made it back to Fantasyland we decided to just go ahead and use the FP while we were there. Mom decided she wasn’t going to ride so she stayed with R while dad took R’s band to ride with us. We chose not to RS this time around in order to save time and the kids didn’t really seem upset about only getting to ride once.

RS does take up a lot of time. Everyone looks like they are having a blast except for you. Where is your big smile?

Yikes. This does seem like a very busy place in the morning.

No, he ate it all!!!

:scared1: He really does like popcorn.

Apparently, B had a great meet with Ariel. I wasn’t there and I don’t know what they discussed, but they got a lot of great pictures!

Lovely pictures. I'm sure she was telling Ariel about her mermaid swim class.

As we were in the queue for JC, I managed to grab FP for the Flying Carpets (because I knew the kids would ask to ride and I ain’t waiting 20 minutes for that!)

Good move. I tried to do this too but was not successful. I would not wait 20 minutes for it either.

Others were lining up close by in anticipation of their time being called. It was just rather chaotic and off-putting.

So sorry. I'm going to check w/DD to see if they are still doing it this way.

This is soooo sweet. She was the perfect Snow White.

Ariel finally got him to come around though. I don’t know if you can tell, but B took that dress to change into for lunch.

I did note the wardrobe change and totally approve.

:eek: Oh nooo! So sorry R was ill.

I just picked him up and got out of the restaurant. I told DW that I was going to get clothes and we’d meet up later. I went into Sir Mickeys which had nothing but glittery dresses. Considering we needed a shirt for me, and a full outfit for R, I just decided to go to the Emporium where I knew I could find what we’d need for both of us. As I was walking the skies clouded up and it cut loose pouring.

We had trouble finding boy or adult clothes in FL too and ended up in the Emporium.

With all that, I really don’t care to go back to CRT anytime soon. We’ve done it a few times and it has never been my favorite, although I’ve always been willing to do it for B because she loves it.

I'm sorry it was such a bad experience. You really do pay too much for this to not be good. Hopefully things will change.

Love this! I think he's feeling better. I like popcorn but it doesn't like me. If I had eaten that much popcorn it would have come back up too.

That seems very acceptable to me. I would be pretty happy if someone gave me a snack and volunteered to push me in a stroller :rolleyes1

. Before I could say anything the lady asked me what time my ADR was for. I told her. She told me I’d have to wait for them to call my time before I could check-in.

My sister and I went in August 2018 and were very surprised by this also. We were less than 10 minutes ahead of our ADR time and forced to come back again to check-in. I get that they are trying to seat times in groups but it just seems like you could at least check people in a few minutes early and then go from there. :confused3

They didn’t even allow me time to take it off. I had to rush to get up there with R for the picture and they were already calling our name to go be seated.

Yikes. I would be annoyed already! The whole reason you're paying so much is for the character experience.

This is adorable! You can see how embarrassed he is to have Aurora talking to him.

Oh no :sad1:

Yikes. I know the whole situation wasn't their fault but it seems like there had to be a better response than this!

At the beginning of this update I thought this sounded like a good idea.

That's just crazy, they need a much better system.

No, he ate it all!!!

Whoa

The ride itself was a bit of a letdown from the skipper we had our first time around. The skipper this time just felt like she was going through the motions and almost reading from a script in a monotonous way.

I can see that. A good skipper makes all the difference.

L decided that R needed to join the picture. DW told him not to squeeze him around the stomach like that.

Rut row.

Having children is not for the faint of heart. I would never have survived. :faint:

I just picked him up and got out of the restaurant. I told DW that I was going to get clothes and we’d meet up later.

Probably the best course of action.

I can totally see that. In fact after that experience, I may never want to go back. For that price and mediocre food, I dont blame you.

We figured we’d just keep a close eye on him, make sure he drinks plenty of water and stay in the park.

Hopefully it isn’t a mistake!

I hope not either!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter