Mickey Power!!! - July 2019 - Once Upon a Time When DHS Opened After Sunrise - 2/27

Oh. Well, that's awesome.
I think I might as well just plan to expect that from now on.
Why did we have kids again?
Well... I'll get back to you on that.
Nicely done there.
:thumbsup2
Nah. My only real thought during the ride was: "Huh. This is the first time this ride has actually made any sense whatsoever."
That's actually a very valid point.
Stupid tiers.
::yes::
Why did we have kids again?
Still working on an answer...
I'm sure she was used to 99% of people saying yes. But you're right, they don't make any effort to protect it from the rain, so your thinking was legit.
True. I just felt better about doing it myself and knowing the general vicinity of where it was going to be when I came back later.
You do what you gotta do. Yuengling is always a solid choice.
'm gonna have to try that one sometime. I usually hear good things.
We really enjoy it there!
Wait, what??? You kind of buried that one. You actually found a FP available for Test Track? I was there a whole week and that never happened for me.
We definitely lucked out on that one! I was looking for Soarin for later but when I saw TT available I jumped at it.
Finally dropping by and catching up - not much to add to the first few updates that hasn't already been said a bunch of times, however!
:welcome:
Our first visit, we stayed at CBR. I remember waiting a bit for buses, but we hardly ever went back mid-day. (Maybe once?) But, it was right after Christmas, so not as crowded. Plus, y'know, many years ago.
Seems that the bus situation is a bit on the sketchy side there in general from what I've read and heard. Aside from that, I really liked the resort! I'd definitely stay there again for the Skyliner!
Garden Grill was our very first ADR meal, and it still remains a favorite memory. I'm always glad to hear that it still is a good choice.
It really is. We like it a lot!

Hi Andy, I am joining in for your TR!
:welcome: It's great to see you!
Glad the drive down wasn't so bad. I'll take note on that Holiday Inn in LBV - it does not sound great at all.
I won't swear off ever staying there again if it's a case where I need a free night somewhere and that's what's available. But under no other circumstance will I be going back.
Your family's first [arks days sound very fun! I love all the character photos from Chef Mickey's and Garden Grill.
Thanks!!
Yeah... no offense, but you're usually the kind of person I skirt around at high speed.
None taken. If I'm by myself, I'm dropping the hammer and getting around that too!!
:sad2:
"Dear Disney... you're doing it wrong."
Sadly, that seemed to be a recurring theme with how some of the FP lines seemed to be handled while we were there.
Huh. I never would've thought that.
Beer and heavy sugary drinks. They just tend to stick in my throat and don't quench my thirst. Even the full versions of Gatorade or Powerade are that way for me. Powerade zero or water are really what I go to when it's hot and I'm borderline dehydration thirsty.
Last April I rented a car for the first time, because of our increasing frustration with the buses. Despite the added cost, I thought it was worth it.
Yes. Actually, more so a few years ago before preferred parking. If you got there early in the morning you could drive up and park where preferred parking is now and be close to the entrance. It was awesome and made things so much easier. I still think driving works better (with the exception of MK) but I miss the days when you could park close to the entrance and not have to walk half a mile or take a tram.
I’ve done a bunch of character meals but never Garden Grill. I’ve read good things about it so I’m tempted to try it.
We really like that one. I guess if you want Goofy or Donald, it's not going to be a great choice, but the food is really good and the characters there seem to always be playful and fun.

I’m all caught up!

I miss Wishes to!

FP lines are way longer now!

We like CBR but definitely agree about the buses. Very crowded and many stops.

We had GG breakfast several times and love it. The characters are awesome

I also miss Maelstrom! It was a favorite of ours and now my daughter boycotts FEA, she is tired of everything Frozen!

Cute pictures of your family and how cute is your little guy with the characters at CM, he decided to give it a try!

Sadly, that seemed to be a recurring theme with how some of the FP lines seemed to be handled while we were there.
That's just not right. :(
Beer and heavy sugary drinks. They just tend to stick in my throat and don't quench my thirst. Even the full versions of Gatorade or Powerade are that way for me. Powerade zero or water are really what I go to when it's hot and I'm borderline dehydration thirsty.
I go for an ice cold Coke. Now that really hits the spot (for me).

Oh wow, that Spaceship Earth experience does not sound pleasant. Poor kid just wanted his fallen shoe back! :rotfl2: It's a shame that your ride through couldn't be the relaxed break it should have been. And who knows what the new version will be like....

Garden Grill is such an awesome restaurant for character interaction. We had Bob as our server when we went, and he was great with Landon. When I read about you having Bob, I turned to Landon and asked if he remembered the guy from Garden Grill and he went: "Oh yeah! Bob!"

Sorry your DW left her phone in the room, nowadays that would be a hard thing to spend a morning without! But at least her returning to the resort worked out with you being able to grab FPs for Test Track and not having to deal with Rider Swap.

Settling in for a massive catch up post......
When DW was 20 weeks pregnant, we found out in an ultrasound that R had a hole in his diaphragm. It is called Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH). They basically said that in addition to the obvious problems, the biggest issue is that he would not have fully formed lungs because they form later in the developmental process and the abdominal organs that were spilling into his chest cavity would crowd them out. They said he had a 50% survival rate.
So scary for you. :(
It became a pretty crazy year from that point forward. We had to go to a different hospital for delivery and neonatal care. That meant they wanted DW to “live” in a hotel adjacent to the campus a few weeks before her due date. They wanted him to go as full term as possible, but they didn’t want to take a chance on delivery occurring somewhere else. Ultimately, they made a surgery room right next to the NICU into a delivery room and whisked him away immediately. After he was born he spent 3 months in the hospital.
We had a small NICU stay with our oldest (8 days) as he was 5 weeks early and his left lung collapsed when he was born. It is terrifying to see your baby in distress. I'm so glad to hear that R got such excellent care.
One of the challenges we had to overcome before he could come home was feeding. Babies with the issues he had, coupled with being fed through tubes and having tubes running down their throats tend to be slow to figure out oral feeding. By the time he was discharged he’d nurse some, but most of his nutrition was through a feeding tube, which is why he had the G-Tube put in. He figured it out, over time, and started gaining some weight through oral feeding. They had us keep the G-tube in until last summer when we were able to show his pediatrician that he had gained sufficient weight over the course of a few months without having to feed through the tube. He’s still a runt though. As of our trip, 3 year old R measured 35 ½" tall and a whopping 23 pounds.
That's amazing! Good for R (and his parents)! What an accomplishment to be gaining weight through oral feeds. :)
He had nurses in the NICU that laughed with us, cried with us and some have been there for some of his milestones since. Those of you who are in this field, I just want to let you know I appreciate what you do. I know it isn’t an easy job, but you’re definitely in a position to make a real difference in someone’s life!
NICU nurses are angels on earth. :goodvibes
I had a lady cut right in front of me just before we made it to the choke point at the gate leading to the boat. She pretty much jumped over R to get in front of my stroller.

And she was carrying a baby. Then she turned around and started yelling for her mom who attempted to do the same thing and squeeze between the gate and the stroller.

I was sure she was going to end up sitting in the stroller.

I won’t lie though. I knew what was happening and saw it coming.

Part of the reason she almost ended up sitting in the stroller is because I sped up to close the gap.

Are we having a Magical Day yet???

The worst part about going to Disney World has always been the other people.
Some people are what I refer to as "special friends"....code for words unmentionable on the Dis!
We started walking into the FP queue. I’m struggling to explain it, but when you enter the line you go down to a low spot and then go up a ramp... well, at the low point, we came to a stop. The FP line was backed up that far. Standby people just kept walking past. People in the FP line started questioning if something got screwed up and we were somehow in the wrong line. We ended up waiting about 20 minutes to ride. But as we’d find out, we were in fact in the FP line. We eventually caught up with those standby people that passed us. All the switchbacks on the left side were full of standby riders and FP was going to the right with none of the switchbacks open.

I love Space Mountain. Or I should say I used to love Space Mountain.

This time, it hurt. I don’t know what it was, but it just felt really rough. I’d usually try to find other FPs later in the week or find a way to ride again if I could, but after this ride, I just didn’t care to.
Same! I rode Space last summer and that was definitely the last time for me. Just wasn't fun anymore!
As you can see, at this point R was in a pretty good while we were hanging around waiting.
He is such a cutie!
As we were waiting, R had been watching the characters intently and pointing them out.

But the moment of truth was upon us.

Our first visit was from Donald.

And R wasn’t feeling it.

No picture. No hug. Not even a high 5 or a fist bump. But at least he didn’t freak out and try to hide under the table or something...
It takes some time to warm up.
The kids had a good time with the characters, which is the main point anyway. Chef Mickey has become one of our go to places, but I’m just not really excited about it anymore. Our last couple of times have been ok... The food is fine, and for the price you pay, I want better than fine.
We felt the same way. On our first two trips, Chef Mickeys was a must do. But as the boys got older there were many other restaurants we wanted to explore.
The package was actually a gift bag that our TA had sent for us. It was a nice little Mickey bag filled with all kinds of snacks. We appreciated the surprise!
So great!
The bus driver had everyone squeeze toward the back, allowing people on and it became a free for all. We’d been there just outside the shelter waiting on the bus and people who had just walked up were coming up from behind trying to get on.
Ugh!
We went up to BTMRR to get our RS pass. DW was taking the first ride and as we checked in with the CM to get RS, he asked if we were doing standby or FP. We told him FP. He then told us he’d scan the kids’ bands so they could ride with me, but DW and I would have to use our FP.
That doesn't seem fair.....
I grabbed another FP to use at Jungle Cruise later on and DW suggested going to the Tiki Room while we were close by. While we were in the pre-show I got on the app and we mobile ordered our dinner at Pecos Bill’s.
I just wish you could use Disney gift cards for mobile ordering as I always pay for food with a GC.
In the past, I’ve enjoyed getting a burrito and stuffing it so full that you really can’t even roll it up. This time around, that wasn’t on the menu. DW and I both went with the nacho plate and loaded them up instead. I forget what the kids had. My notes are clearly incomplete, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that we got at least 2 orders of mac & cheese. We enjoyed our meals, but I miss the burritos that they used to have. The nachos were fine, but we really like to get the nachos at La Cantina in EPCOT and the ones at Pecos Bill were definitely not on the same level.
The tacos at Pecos Bill's and the Southwest salad are great choices too. I love that fixings bar!
The good news is that I kind of like the night time safaris and it was dusk by the time we boarded. Not completely dark by any means, but dark enough that our skipper was using the lights on the boat for some effect.

We had Skipper Kara, and I did take note of her name, because she was awesome. Her comedic timing was perfect and she delivered her dad jokes in a way that would make dads everywhere proud.
Perfect!
We got a decent spot with a view of the castle in front of the train station and everyone enjoyed the show.
That is a great spot and nice to have an easy exit out of the park.
In the rush to finish getting ready and leave, she left her phone in the room!

I asked her if she really needed it.

Well... I guess not.

Then don’t worry about it!
Oh, I feel her pain...I would want my phone too!
Neither of them had ever ridden it so I wasn’t sure how they’d like it. We chose to go with the Green version. We scanned our bands, walked into the queue, and never saw a single person who wasn’t a CM the whole way into our cockpit.

The kids ended up really enjoying the ride and were begging to do it again. I knew we could probably jump right back in the standby line pretty quick, but I didn’t want to make DW wait longer and I couldn’t text her to let her know what was going on so I told them we’d try to do it later.
I really loved the Green side too .......the new version is so cool!
R was having none of it. I put him down and he went in the corner to hide and pout.
:laughing: That picture of R is the best!
Ok, I do like the Frozen overlay. It was a good upgrade and I do think it fits in well to Norway and works with what they’re doing with WS and EPCOT in general now. But the fact that the ride track is still basically the same, I can’t help but think of what used to be there at the different points.
We always regretted that we never rode Maelstorm....we always meant to but just never did.
DW was getting into a car with B and R. As she was getting in, one of R’s Crocs fell off and fell down in front of the car. We didn’t realize this until he started screaming as we were seated and on our way.

Normally, I love the long, relaxing ride through the history of communication on our fine planet.

But this time, it was long and painful.
Oh no!!
Maybe I'm the weird one, but there was a chance of rain so I just wanted to go park it, make sure the rain cover was on and stash the bag that we leave with the stroller so that it would stay dry.
I would be the same way!
Our server was named Bob and he was a character in his own right. He joked and played around with the kids and even did the same with the characters. They were plenty playful too and spent a little more time with us than we got at other meals. The restaurant also wasn’t very full so we even got to see them twice before we made it all the way around and finished our meal.

R was a little bit hesitant about the characters here again. He did get up for a picture with Pluto, but for the others he just stayed between me and DW. We did meet Dale twice as well, but apparently neither DW or I managed to get pictures with him. I know he was the first character we saw and he came up as we were being seated and played aorund with the kids so I’m guessing we were a bit preoccupied with getting R situated and then when he came back we probably just thought we’d already taken pictures.
Love Garden Grill! Your pictures with the characters are awesome!
Our meal was very good. The kids enjoyed their food and we had to get an extra plate of fries for them. We’ve done this meal twice in the past 6 years or so and I’ve been impressed with it both times. The food there is really good and I like the fact that it is family style rather than buffet so it is just a lot more relaxed. It really is hard to keep going back there when EPCOT is just loaded with so many great restaurants I love and new ones that I’ve yet to try, but I can always make a strong case for going back.
I know...I struggle with this too. We have tried and true favourites but there are so many new places to try as well!

After the 3rd or 4th switchback, I realized I was wrong... all the people we saw were in FP and the Standby was all routed through the switchbacks on the right hand side. We ended up waiting about 25 minutes with our FP.
I refuse to get a FP for JG now. We had that happen to us twice and def seems to be the norm for that one.

And I have to say this is a trend I noticed a lot this trip. We didn’t get 6 or 8 shots like we have in the past. Pretty much everywhere around the park we’d stop, they’d take 3 pictures. And we’d be lucky to have 1 of them be anything good where we’re all even looking in the general direction of the camera and ready.
YES!!! Sometimes even, only 1!!!! And even more so if you give them your camera to use.

While we were at lunch, I was able to grab a 2pm FP for Test Track. DW had decided she spent long enough without a phone though and was going back to CBR. She said that she’d take R back and try to get him to nap and I could stay at EPCOT with the 2 older kids. Since she was going by herself, we decided to just leave the stroller parked outside the Land Pavilion. I carried R to the front of the park and then we said goodbye. They were off to relax and we were off to have more fun!
OMG! Please tell me you didn't forget the stroller, cause I feel like that is what would have happened to me.

Hi, Andy! Long time, no see. I thought it was just me absent from the DIS, but sounds like you've been too. I finally had some time tonight (yay, 3-day-weekend) to hop on and read and I saw your TR first and wanted to see how your family is doing. I cannot believe how big the kids are now! Really enjoyed reading this and will try to make it back again to read more. :)

The kids and I were ready. That’s all I can say here. Moving on...

LOL! Smart man.

I asked her if she really needed it.

Well... I guess not.

Then don’t worry about it!

While nice to have, especially for photos on the fly, it's not absolutely neccessary. Having a plan for an accidental separation is a must, like the old school method: "By the Fountain if we get separated." And as PK mentioned, kiosks for FPs, mobile ordering while convenient, isn't mandatory, and heck, once in a while it's nice not to be a slave to it.

I told her I’d take the kids and the stroller and walk towards Test Track when the rope dropped. It was crowded enough that I couldn’t go too fast so she could stop at the restroom as we walked past and then catch up with us. It ended up working out just fine as she caught us by the time we made it to Mouse Gear.

She makes tracks!!

We didn’t want to cross the park, as we had FP for the whole morning on this side of the park, so we just chose to stand around waiting.

Awesome.

GAH!!! I hate this! Happened to me with 7DMT on a (paid) EMM in May. SOOOOOOOOOO disappointing!

As we walked back toward Mouse Gear, guess what had finally opened and was already showing a 45 minute wait?

OH brother. Been there and done that. Hate it.

I really appreciate them trying to get him into it, but he just wasn’t having it.

Well, at least they tried.

Anybody else feel that way about that ride or am I just nuts?

Is this an either/or question?

Oh dear. :(

R was reunited with his Croc and was once again happy.

Huzzah!!! There was much rejoicing... this calls for a "free" drink at GG!

I’m going to just say it now, we did 4 character meals this trip. Hands down, this one was the best. From the food, to the service, to the character interaction, this one checked all the boxes.

YOu are not the first to say that. Maybe when I have grandkids that are old enough... :)

Bob was very adamant that since we were on the dining plan, we needed to take advantage of the fact that we’d get drinks with our meal and an additional specialty drink or alcoholic beverage. I forget what DW got, but I ordered a Yuengling. I typically don’t really want beer when it is really hot like that... it just makes me feel dehydrated. And we were planning to enjoy a few speciatly beverages around WS later so I really just wanted to hydrate myself up at this point, but when he made me feel like I was being wasteful by not getting one...

I wonder if he gets a bad management review if he's seen not "delivering"? Dunno, seems weird a little.

It really is hard to keep going back there when EPCOT is just loaded with so many great restaurants I love and new ones that I’ve yet to try, but I can always make a strong case for going back.

So many places, so few visits!

Because, World Showcase.
I understand :drinking1

As I completely expected when I had to decide a few months ago which Group A FP attraction to ride Standby at Rope Drop, TT would not be opening at Rope Drop.
That is so annoying, and usually why I opt for soarin instead, at least you were able to grab a Fp later on.

48601621007_3f3a596511_z.jpg
I seriously stopped and laughed at this for a good minute or two. Why does FEA always get the best pictures. I think because little kids can go on and they are freaked by the drop. Every kid's reaction on this ride is AMAZING, thank you for sharing that :rotfl2::rotfl2:

As we were getting off the ride, DW turned around to look and just happened to see his Croc sitting down on part of the ride system at the front of their car. She told a CM and they had a grabber arm thingy that they were able to reach down and retrieve it with.
Well, at least only the ride was ruined and not the whole day, but still sorry that happened.

Maybe I'm the weird one, but there was a chance of rain so I just wanted to go park it, make sure the rain cover was on and stash the bag that we leave with the stroller so that it would stay dry.
No I get it, also I like to park it myself, so I have a better idea of where to find it later.

I have to ask, Did you help your wife get the kids ready? My DH would get himself ready and them get made that I didn't have myself and all the kids ready in the time it took for him to just get himself ready.

hustled everyone out the door to the bus stop. We got there just before our bus pulled up.

Perfect timing!

Oh no! One of my fears. I'm the planner so I have to have the phone.

As I completely expected when I had to decide a few months ago which Group A FP attraction to ride Standby at Rope Drop, TT would not be opening at Rope Drop.

That really stinks.

DW refuses to ride that one so she gladly offered to take R and go into Mouse Gear to browse while I went with the older kids.

I do not like Orange and have only done green once. I would like to try green again now that it has been updated. But I also like your wife's option.

R was having none of it. I put him down and he went in the corner to hide and pout. L whined and complained about going in to see them, but he was a good sport about it. B was spending time with princesses and was happy as could be.

R looks so cute keeping his distance. L & B's visit with the Princesses looks like a lot of fun. I hope they are as great when we see them. I have a feeling JP may be like R too.

We were not the first to pass that way, nor would we be the last.

:rotfl2: I like what you did there.

Anybody else feel that way about that ride or am I just nuts?

You're not nuts, we do the same thing. I like the overlay but I still miss the trolls.

Great family picture.

We got inside the golf ball and were boarding our time machines when everything went sour.

For everyone who was riding Spaceship Earth with us that day, I’m sorry.

Truly I am.

It happens to all of us parents.

R eventually calmed down a little bit after the initial shock, but the whole ride we’d still hear the occasional scream of “My shoe! My shoe!”

Poor kid.

So glad to hear this.

I’m going to just say it now, we did 4 character meals this trip. Hands down, this one was the best. From the food, to the service, to the character interaction, this one checked all the boxes.

We've only done this once and I have to agree the whole experience was really good. The characters were the best. It felt really intimate and not rushed, we saw each character twice.

Our meal was very good. The kids enjoyed their food and we had to get an extra plate of fries for them.

Sounds like a win for all.

Last edited:

Wonder what you're getting at....

Oh no! I would be lost without mine since I am the main planner!

We didn’t want to cross the park, as we had FP for the whole morning on this side of the park, so we just chose to stand around waiting.

Awesome.

Bummer, but I can see why you did it. I would have done the same. It's too bad they didn't open right away.

The kids ended up really enjoying the ride and were begging to do it again. I knew we could probably jump right back in the standby line pretty quick, but I didn’t want to make DW wait longer and I couldn’t text her to let her know what was going on so I told them we’d try to do it later.

Your kiddos are braver than me! I can't handle that ride.

I have to say Anna and Elsa were on their A game. They both spent what seemed like a few minutes chatting and interacting with the kids. Even though R obviously didn’t want to go see them, both of them acknowledged him and tried to get him to interact.

That's amazing!

It was time to backtrack across the park towards our ADR, but we had FP to use at Spaceship Earth on our way. We had some time to stop for a picture first though.

Cute!

Normally, I love the long, relaxing ride through the history of communication on our fine planet.

Oh no!!

As we were getting off the ride, DW turned around to look and just happened to see his Croc sitting down on part of the ride system at the front of their car. She told a CM and they had a grabber arm thingy that they were able to reach down and retrieve it with.

Glad they were able to reach and get it and didn't make you all come back later or go through Lost and Found. Tough ride, but good outcome!

I miss Wishes to!
FP lines are way longer now!
I really don't like that at all!
We like CBR but definitely agree about the buses. Very crowded and many stops.
That was our take on it... liked the resort, not the bus service.
We had GG breakfast several times and love it. The characters are awesome
::yes:: They do a great job there!
I also miss Maelstrom! It was a favorite of ours and now my daughter boycotts FEA, she is tired of everything Frozen!
:rotfl: I love it! I don't hate FEA, but the whole layout of it just makes it hard to forget Maelstrom.
ute pictures of your family and how cute is your little guy with the characters at CM, he decided to give it a try!
Thanks! I'm glad he got into the spirit of it.
Oh wow, that Spaceship Earth experience does not sound pleasant. Poor kid just wanted his fallen shoe back! :rotfl2: It's a shame that your ride through couldn't be the relaxed break it should have been. And who knows what the new version will be like....
Oh, man. It was a rough ride. And yeah, this might have been our last chance to experience that version of the ride...
Garden Grill is such an awesome restaurant for character interaction. We had Bob as our server when we went, and he was great with Landon. When I read about you having Bob, I turned to Landon and asked if he remembered the guy from Garden Grill and he went: "Oh yeah! Bob!"
:rotfl2: That's awesome! He was so great with the kids and had them playing games with him and the characters.
Sorry your DW left her phone in the room, nowadays that would be a hard thing to spend a morning without! But at least her returning to the resort worked out with you being able to grab FPs for Test Track and not having to deal with Rider Swap.
It did work out fine. She just had to put up with not having it for a few hours.
So scary for you. :(
We had a small NICU stay with our oldest (8 days) as he was 5 weeks early and his left lung collapsed when he was born. It is terrifying to see your baby in distress. I'm so glad to hear that R got such excellent care.
No NICU stay is fun.
That's amazing! Good for R (and his parents)! What an accomplishment to be gaining weight through oral feeds. :)
::yes:: And although he's really a grazer that kid has actually been eating like a real person this week. I think he might actually be getting ready to put on some weight and hit a growth spurt!
NICU nurses are angels on earth. :goodvibes
Some people are what I refer to as "special friends"....code for words unmentionable on the Dis!
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:
Same! I rode Space last summer and that was definitely the last time for me. Just wasn't fun anymore!
I'll ride it again... just not as many times per trip.
It takes some time to warm up.
Very true.
We felt the same way. On our first two trips, Chef Mickeys was a must do. But as the boys got older there were many other restaurants we wanted to explore.
::yes:: So many to choose from!
I just wish you could use Disney gift cards for mobile ordering as I always pay for food with a GC.
Actually, had we not done free dining, this would have been our situation as well. I usually buy a few giftcards between trips to help keep it from being a huge one time expense and it would stink to not be able to use them to order food.
The tacos at Pecos Bill's and the Southwest salad are great choices too. I love that fixings bar!
That is a great spot and nice to have an easy exit out of the park.
It really was. We've done this a few times in the past. It isn't perfect as you aren't right there close to the castle and miss some of the detail on the projections, but you can see what it is and have a great view of the fireworks without the crowd.
Oh, I feel her pain...I would want my phone too!
Can't live without it in 2019! :rotfl:
I really loved the Green side too .......the new version is so cool!
I think it was a nice update! I like that there are 2 different unique experiences between Orange and Green.
We always regretted that we never rode Maelstorm....we always meant to but just never did.
I enjoyed it, but it certainly wasn't a "can't miss" classic. FEA was probably a good upgrade, but I just wished they had changed the track a bit more so that I didn't feel like I was in a room I've been in before that has just been redecorated.
I would be the same way!
I didn't think I was being unreasonable but she kind of gave me the side eye like I was crazy.
Love Garden Grill! Your pictures with the characters are awesome!
We really like eating there!
I know...I struggle with this too. We have tried and true favourites but there are so many new places to try as well!

I refuse to get a FP for JG now. We had that happen to us twice and def seems to be the norm for that one.
I'll still get FP for it. I mean I think it is ridiculous that they let the FP line get that long, but 25 minutes is still better than 75 or 90 that we saw the standby posted at. Seems like the lines have just inflated in the wake of FP+
YES!!! Sometimes even, only 1!!!! And even more so if you give them your camera to use.
We didn't even do that since we had Memory Maker. I almost wonder if the free Memory Maker for AP holders has made it so that so many people get them now and they just don't put as much energy into it? :confused3
OMG! Please tell me you didn't forget the stroller, cause I feel like that is what would have happened to me.
:rotfl2: No! We didn't, but we did leave it parked there for most of the day!
Hi, Andy! Long time, no see. I thought it was just me absent from the DIS, but sounds like you've been too. I finally had some time tonight (yay, 3-day-weekend) to hop on and read and I saw your TR first and wanted to see how your family is doing. I cannot believe how big the kids are now! Really enjoyed reading this and will try to make it back again to read more. :)
:welcome: Welcome back to the boards!!!! It's so good to see you around! They do grow fast, as you're finding out yourself.
LOL! Smart man.
I R!
While nice to have, especially for photos on the fly, it's not absolutely neccessary. Having a plan for an accidental separation is a must, like the old school method: "By the Fountain if we get separated." And as PK mentioned, kiosks for FPs, mobile ordering while convenient, isn't mandatory, and heck, once in a while it's nice not to be a slave to it.
::yes:: That's one of my love/hate things about the technology. I love the mobile ordering and being able to change and procure FP from the phone. But it also results in me spending way more time screwing with my phone than I wanted to. Like when I ordered our Pecos Bill dinner during the Tiki pre-show... I literally missed the whole pre-show getting our order done. It's just a pre-show, but it still meant I was missing out on something.
She makes tracks!!
::yes:: But really, we were moving pretty slow behind the rope drop mob. I wasn't exactly nimbly cutting through the crowd with the stroller.
GAH!!! I hate this! Happened to me with 7DMT on a (paid) EMM in May. SOOOOOOOOOO disappointing!
That makes it even worse.
Well, at least they tried.
Is this an either/or question?
:headache:
Huzzah!!! There was much rejoicing... this calls for a "free" drink at GG!
Great idea! :drinking1
YOu are not the first to say that. Maybe when I have grandkids that are old enough... :)
Definitely worth keeping it in mind when the opportunity arises!
I wonder if he gets a bad management review if he's seen not "delivering"? Dunno, seems weird a little.
I don't know... Maybe a bigger tip since the bill would be higher? If we paid out of pocket and ordered a drink it would be an extra charge.
So many places, so few visits!

I understand :drinking1
That's why they put cupholders on strollers isn't it?
That is so annoying, and usually why I opt for soarin instead, at least you were able to grab a Fp later on.
::yes:: I'd considered that, but we had actually decided that out of all the A tier attractions in EPCOT, Soarin was the one we were ok with skipping if we couldn't make them all work. Our prior trip this happened and we just U-turned it and went to Soarin instead, but it was kind of TT or bust this time since our whole morning was scheduled on that side of the park.
I seriously stopped and laughed at this for a good minute or two. Why does FEA always get the best pictures. I think because little kids can go on and they are freaked by the drop. Every kid's reaction on this ride is AMAZING, thank you for sharing that :rotfl2::rotfl2:
My SiL took her family in June. My nephew, who I thought would be a thrill junky was scared of everything, apparently. This picture is nothing compared to his reaction! :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao:
Well, at least only the ride was ruined and not the whole day, but still sorry that happened.
::yes:: Didn't have to buy more Crocs, but it was a rough ride.
No I get it, also I like to park it myself, so I have a better idea of where to find it later.
::yes:: I know they can move them, but typically if you can strategize where to park based on how the CM's are re-arranging strollers already there it typically doesn't move far from where you leave it if it is moved at all.
I have to ask, Did you help your wife get the kids ready? My DH would get himself ready and them get made that I didn't have myself and all the kids ready in the time it took for him to just get himself ready.
No. I didn't help. I got them ready. Typically how it works for school mornings too. DW is not a morning person. Now let's move on before I rant... :rolleyes1
Perfect timing!
Oh no! One of my fears. I'm the planner so I have to have the phone.
That's me so we were fine. I could survive without it though!
That really stinks.
::yes:: Happened to us our past 2 trips now.
I do not like Orange and have only done green once. I would like to try green again now that it has been updated. But I also like your wife's option.
:rotfl2: We do love us some Mouse Gear!
R looks so cute keeping his distance. L & B's visit with the Princesses looks like a lot of fun. I hope they are as great when we see them. I have a feeling JP may be like R too.
It's hard to say how the kids will do with characters. I did feel like face characters were actually more of a challenge with him. He just never really cared to interact with any of them, while he'd warm up to the others.
:rotfl2: I like what you did there.
You're not nuts, we do the same thing. I like the overlay but I still miss the trolls.
::yes:: It wasn't the best ride in the world, but I just can't not see the old layout.
Great family picture.
Thanks!
It happens to all of us parents.
So glad to hear this.
Saved us some money! Next stop was going to be a store for a new pair of Crocs.
We've only done this once and I have to agree the whole experience was really good. The characters were the best. It felt really intimate and not rushed, we saw each character twice.
Exactly! This has been our experience both times there. Feels like kind of a hidden gem. I've never seen it crowded either.
Sounds like a win for all.
Wonder what you're getting at....
I'll let you fill in the blanks. :rolleyes1
Oh no! I would be lost without mine since I am the main planner!
I think I could get by without one, but I'm not sure DW even had the MDE app on her phone so hers wasn't a big deal from that standpoint.
Bummer, but I can see why you did it. I would have done the same. It's too bad they didn't open right away.
This has bit us on our last 2 trips now. Starting to become a trend.
Your kiddos are braver than me! I can't handle that ride.
:rotfl: They really are pretty adventurous when it comes to the rides. Except for Haunted Mansion. They refuse to ride that one.
That's amazing!
We've really had nothing but good interactions with Anna & Elsa. This might have been the best though.
Glad they were able to reach and get it and didn't make you all come back later or go through Lost and Found. Tough ride, but good outcome!
Oh yeah... that would have been a pain. We'd have had to buy a new pair and then deal with that process to get it back. I'm really glad they got it then and there for us.

Yes, Disney Buses are Dry
While DW and R were headed back to the room, the older kids and I were off to begin a busy, fun-filled afternoon!
We walked DW to the exit and then headed straight to Mission Space for another ride on the Green side. As much as the kids enjoyed it the first time and were looking forward to it, our second ride was a little less exciting. We boarded our cockpit, but before we took off there was a delay of a few minutes. B began to get scared and panic on us a bit, but thankfully they delay wasn’t too long and we were soon underway. She enjoyed the ride again, but just wasn’t happy with being locked in there and waiting.
Soon after our flight it was time to use our FP that I was able to get for TT. We headed in and designed our car. L wanted to go for power, but chose the supercharged engine instead of the plasma burner, just because it sounded cooler so we left a little bit of power on the table. We did manage to adequately kill our efficiency rating though.
48601495411_ddfe2d0011_z.jpg
48601624397_9db0b35721_z.jpg
The ride, as usual was a lot of fun!
When we finished our ride, I got on MDE to see if we could find something for Soarin later in the day. Fortunately, there were some FP available sometime around 5 PM so I grabbed them.
We were pretty much done on that side of the park, so we headed back across to the stroller, which was still parked at the Land parking area. I went to get our drinks. DW and I had a little conversation before our trip about the cups we were taking. She packed some metal bottles that the kids had from school. She thought they were insulated because they were metal.
I didn’t agree with her conclusion, and I'd questioned it before we left for our trip when L happened to be standing there.
When the kids went to grab their bottles, the water had heated to the point where they were literally too hot to even hold in your hand.

L made sure to remind DW that he needed an insulated water bottle approximately 500 times a day the rest of the trip.
Since their water was undrinkable, we drained DW’s bottle and mine before heading off in search of some Mickey ice cream bars.
After our snack, we decided to visit everyone’s favorite purple dragon on a ride that isn’t quite everyone’s favorite ride.
After being skunked we decided to ride through the Seas with Nemo. At this point, I really expected that we’d come back to do these things again later in the week. We had another half day in EPCOT scheduled when Mom and Dad got there and I thought DW would want to do some of these things with R so we didn’t spend too long in the aquarium.

While we were in there, DW texted and said she was at the bus stop waiting to come back.
I figured by the time she got there we might have time to do one more thing. We decided to go to the Land and ride Living with the Land quickly before we headed to the front of the park to meet DW.
As we were riding, I continued to get texts. I’m going to try to tell the story based on this chain of texts and I hope I can do it justice.
Finally got on the bus. They loaded a lady in an ECV and then she asked the bus driver to wait for her husband.
15 minutes later.
Husband is here. Also in an ECV. They’re loading him now.
About 10 minutes after that:
And now we're stopped along the road because somebody opened a beer on the bus.

After we reunited, I got the lowdown on the bus situation. Apparently there was a relatively large family. They sent momma out to wait for the bus. She was ECV number 1. She boarded and then made a bit fuss to the bus driver about waiting for her husband (ECV 2). But it wasn't just him. There was a group of about 6 that came out with him. One of them apparently got a little too thirsty and couldn't wait until they got to EPCOT. He cracked a cold one open on the bus. The bus driver heard/saw the beer being opened and immediately pulled over to the side of the road and made him get out and dump the beer out along the side of the road.

This is the one time I almost wished I had been on the bus instead of in the park. I didn't believe her and I told her as much, but that was her story and she stuck to it.

So as you can see... The bus service and fellow guests at CBR were just a treat. All told, between her wait for the bus and the delays caused by other guests, I don’t remember how long it took her, but we had plenty of time to ride Living with the Land, go to the restroom, get more ice water, and walk to the front of the park and sit around waiting on them to get there.
As for operation nap for R... total fail. Didn’t fall asleep in the room or on the bus.
When they got back it was time to ride Soarin. I sent DW and the kids first and we grabbed RS. I waited with R and having missed out on napping he was a handful to keep entertained. The FP line was quite a long wait too. I was waiting with R for about 45 minutes by the time they waited, rode and made it back out.
As I mentioned in the PTR Soarin was a ride we decided we’d be ok skipping if we couldn’t make all the top tier attractions work.
Unpopular opinion, but I’ve never been a huge fan of it. The transitions from scene to scene even in the original made it hard for me to really buy into the feeling of flying and the new version with it’s over use of CGI and curved landmarks is just bad. It was always a ride that we do, but it just hasn’t ever really been my favorite.
So needless to say, after waiting as long as I did for them to get back, I asked the older kids if they really wanted to ride it again or if they were ok with just once. They were fine with once, and we were hungry so it was time to cross EPCOT once again and go to Mexico!
We always enjoy going to La Cantina to get some nachos. As I mentioned when we ate at Pecos Bill’s La Cantina nachos are just a little more flavorful in my opinion and we just really like them. It’s a go-to for us anytime we’re in the World Showcase. Also, since we were on the dining plan, DW and I decided to get Margaritas with our dinners. I don’t remember what the kids got, but I’m sure it was some combination of chicken tenders and mac & cheese.
The restaurant was pretty busy and seating was packed. We couldn’t find a table that was big enough with enough seats for all 5 of us. DW managed to find a round table with 3 chairs around it and a small table on a railing with 2 seats that was close by. I ended up sitting at the 2 seater with R.
After dinner it was time for the one thing we can’t skip if we’re in Mexico. It was obviously time to ride It’s a Small Mexico.
And you can’t just ride it once.
No.
Our kids love this ride and it’s always nice to at least have one ride that allows for an immediate re-ride when the kids get off and ask to do it again. And on top of that, hearing R say “Where’s Donald? There he is!” several different times through the ride as he figured out the storyline was a lot of fun.
Since it was shockingly a walk on we ended up riding it 3 times while we were there.
We got out and I headed straight for La Cava for another margarita. I don’t remember why, but DW didn’t want one of theirs, but there was a margarita at the stand outside she wanted. I was overruled so we headed out. She got her margarita and I had her get one for me as well. I don’t remember which one it was, but it was a cold drink so it was fine.
We headed on around WS just taking a leisurely stroll.
48601495936_e455b77d87_z.jpg
There wasn’t anything we really were trying to do, but we just wanted to maybe have a snack or 2 as we felt the urge and DW and I wanted to try a few drinks. We got to Germany and the kids stopped to chase some ducks around. DW headed in to Karamell Kuche to get her caramel corn and I stopped by the beer cart to get a Schoefferhofer.
We enjoyed our snacks while the kids played and R became hypnotized by the trains.
48601496071_b1d410e257_z.jpg
It was quite an undertaking to get him away from there. I’m not sure how long we stayed there watching the trains, but he was running back and forth along the walkway in the middle of the train set watching them and really having a lot of fun with it.
We saw a bit of the Guardians of the Galaxy show as we walked past. We had planned to try to watch it at some point, but figured we’d come back on our next EPCOT day to see the whole thing so we didn’t linger very long.

We got to Japan and stopped to take in some scenery and get some Kakigori for the kids.
48601631032_d8d0b65da3_z.jpg
48601631267_12d8372492_z.jpg
48601631442_8101fa4c92_z.jpg
When we got to France, DW and I got a couple of the slushes to try. We got one of each and DW determined that the Grey Goose Citron Lemon slush is the best thing in all of World Showcase... even superior to her beloved margaritas.
We made our way on around WS and planned to watch Illuminations on our next EPCOT day with Mom and Dad so we were planning to get on the bus before the mad rush after closing time. The kids had been grumbling a little bit because we’d been wandering around WS and not riding anything so I asked them if they wanted to use the RS pass on Soarin.
It was about 8:45 when we got there so the FP line was virtually empty. We basically walked right on so it was definitely much better than it would have been if we’d tried to use the RS when we were there earlier.
We walked out of the Land and headed to the exit as the fireworks were going off for Illuminations. I high fived L and B and told them they did a good job that day. We managed to spend all day in EPCOT from Rope Drop to closing time! They did a lot of walking that day, and frankly, they were very well behaved. There wasn’t much in the way of whining or complaining from either of them so I wanted to make a big deal about it to let them know we appreciated their good attitudes and behavior.
Our bus ride back was kind of uneventful... There was a bit of a wait and the bus was crowded. I guess that much is typical. But we made it back to the room and got settled in for the night without any excitement.

Wow! How frustrating for your wife on that bus, while funny, I'm sure it was just annoying to be stuck waiting for that whole family to figure out their lives.

Otherwise, sounds like an awesome and successful EPCOT day!

The ride, as usual was a lot of fun!

Your daughter, in particular, appears delighted! I'm glad you found a Fastpass after your missed opportunity that morning.

L made sure to remind DW that he needed an insulated water bottle approximately 500 times a day the rest of the trip.

He sure didn't let her forget it! :laughing:

And now we're stopped along the road because somebody opened a beer on the bus.

It's not often I burst out laughing or say the long version of "OMG" while reading these boards.

I did both while reading this sentence alone. :rolleyes:

:rotfl:

What a crazy bus ride! (And aren't you glad you weren't traveling with THAT family?!)

It was obviously time to ride It’s a Small Mexico.

Since it was shockingly a walk on we ended up riding it 3 times while we were there.

Wow! That was a nice treat considering the crazy lines you'd experienced on other attractions thus far.

We got one of each and DW determined that the Grey Goose Citron Lemon slush is the best thing in all of World Showcase... even superior to her beloved margaritas.

Maybe not the best thing in World Showcase... but she's probably right that it's one of the best alcoholic things in World Showcase! I don't tend to drink more than a glass of wine now and again these days, but I fully intend to get a Grey Goose Slush when we go to Disney next year!

I high fived L and B and told them they did a good job that day. We managed to spend all day in EPCOT from Rope Drop to closing time! They did a lot of walking that day, and frankly, they were very well behaved.

Good for them! They were obviously having a fun day which led to them being such good kids. I'm glad that you then had a fun day, too! :goodvibes

Sounds like the 3 of you had some good quality time at Epcot! Though it sounds like you missed out on the REAL excitement that your wife got to experience on the bus. Some people :confused:

Glad the fun continued when all of you reunited!

Sounds like it was a great day!!

Oh no 9 pages in and I just found your TR!!!! I'm holding my place and heading back to the beginning....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter