Mickey’s Backyard BBQ/ROL

King Dominic

Mouseketeer
We have an ADR for MBBBQ on 11\30 @5:30pm. Can anyone give insight as to whether or not we’d be able to make it back to AK in time for ROL @7:45?

Honestly, that will be really tight. This event has a show not just a plain character meal. And let me also stress, the characters do NOT come to you in this venue. You must get up and go to them to engage. The whole thing took us more than an hour and my nephew was a little older than most of the kids there. FW is pretty far from AK. If you are using your own transportation, you have to get from the back of FW to the front (either over a mile walk or an internal bus which can take over 20 min) and then drive the 15 min to AK and then park, walk to ROL.
Using WDW transportation, either an internal bus (can take 20 min just to the front of FW) to the main bus stop at FW then wait for another bus to AK. This could literally take 4O min or more just for the bus. Using water taxi to MK to AK could take just as long.

In MBYBBQ at 5:30 - about an hour for food/show maybe leaving between 6:30 - 7 (with rushing everything) and then calculating in another 40 min for transport, you'd probably be exahausted from running and sick cause you just ate a big meal, not get good seats and barely make it for the beginning of ROL. I always count on 40 min to an hour for transportation around WDW. Even if the transportation faries sprinkle you with their pixie dust, you really are cutting it close.
Even using the new Minnie Lyft option won't save you that much more time. Maybe 15 min.

And if you and your family are having fun at the BBQ do you want to rush them away from a character experience? Many people lingered when we did this a few years back to grab dessert or their kids wanted to play on the playground right outside the pavillion.
If you want to do something after the BBQ, I'd head to the main pool area at FW and do Chip & Dale's sing along camp fire & movie.

Honestly, that will be really tight. This event has a show not just a plain character meal. And let me also stress, the characters do NOT come to you in this venue. You must get up and go to them to engage. The whole thing took us more than an hour and my nephew was a little older than most of the kids there. FW is pretty far from AK. If you are using your own transportation, you have to get from the back of FW to the front (either over a mile walk or an internal bus which can take over 20 min) and then drive the 15 min to AK and then park, walk to ROL.
Using WDW transportation, either an internal bus (can take 20 min just to the front of FW) to the main bus stop at FW then wait for another bus to AK. This could literally take 4O min or more just for the bus. Using water taxi to MK to AK could take just as long.

In MBYBBQ at 5:30 - about an hour for food/show maybe leaving between 6:30 - 7 (with rushing everything) and then calculating in another 40 min for transport, you'd probably be exahausted from running and sick cause you just ate a big meal, not get good seats and barely make it for the beginning of ROL. I always count on 40 min to an hour for transportation around WDW. Even if the transportation faries sprinkle you with their pixie dust, you really are cutting it close.
Even using the new Minnie Lyft option won't save you that much more time. Maybe 15 min.

And if you and your family are having fun at the BBQ do you want to rush them away from a character experience? Many people lingered when we did this a few years back to grab dessert or their kids wanted to play on the playground right outside the pavillion.
If you want to do something after the BBQ, I'd head to the main pool area at FW and do Chip & Dale's sing along camp fire & movie.
Thank you for this! This is what I’ve been waiting for, a real, honest, opinion.

Now, is ROL something we HAVE to see? I’ve talked to friends who’ve been so far this year and have been reading reviews on the web and it seems to be split down the middle as far as opinions on the show. I think I’ve seen more leaning towards it’s not a necessity than to “you have to see it” though.

We’ll be with 2 7 year olds, so factor that in too. I’m thinking BBQ>ROL

I haven't seen ROL yet (and I'm local and an AP holder) but everything I've read is that kids would probably be bored after the first 5 minutes. There no fireworks so it's just pretty lights and music. While it probably is amazing, I have felt no burning need to go see it. If you are at the BBQ, you may want to stay for the sing along and then watch the fireworks at MK from the beach at the campground. Just a thought.

Couldn't you also arrive at MBBBQ by boat from WL which would take you straight there without walking/bussing fro the front? (Yes thats a QUESTION not statement, I am not sure but simply guessing)

I agree. No Way.
We saw ROL last week and really enjoyed it. But with 2 7 yo I would just do BBQ this trip

Agreed here as well, unless you plan on leaving REALLY early or you have a Jet pack ; ) By the way Rusty (or anyone else), am I correct in assuming the WL boat can take you STRAIGHT to Mickey's BYBBQ without needing to walk around? if so, might it not be faster to boat from WL or the MK area to save time?

You need to walk form the peer to the BBQ, that is about 3-5 minutes.
Yup, never been there, but based on what I saw on te map that was my guess - thanks for confirming it Rusty. I wonder why no one ever mentions this 'trick'? Seems to me that a party with elderly or little ones/stroller could utilize this technique to save a lot of walking - and anyone actually STAYING at WL would almost certainly benefit from this route no?

Yes you can take the boat from WL but you have to get to WL first and then you may have to wait for a boat. The issue is time and like I originally stated and I'm sure Rusty will agree. You need to plan a minimum of 45 min to an hour using any form of Disney transportation to get anywhere on property.

I agree no way. It could be tight from a resort that has great transportation direct to park ... but FW and the transfers. No way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter