Michaels or JoAnn Fabric for Custom Framing?

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
Not sure where to post this question...I need to get a couple WDW serigraphs and lithos & stamp sets matted and framed.

I've always matted my own pictures, but these will require a custom cut and I'd like them to blend in w/the other artwork I have.

Has anyone used either Michaels or JoAnn Fabric for this type of service? Were you satisfied w/work & price?

TIA

I've had pictures framed at Michaels and been happy. I never used JoAnns. If you do Michaels, I would wait until there is a 50% off ENTIRE order coupon out (not just the 50% off framing). I had my DDs sketch from WDW framed and with the 50% coupon it was still around $100.

47b4cc04b3127cce9d9c634b92cd00000035118AaMmzJk5bNO

Maggie

Thanks, this week Michaels has the following available:

50% any one reg priced item (but it exclused special order custom frames & materials - of course) and

50% of 1, 60% of 2, and 70% of 3 custom framed pieces.

Your DD's a cutie & sketch looks great - what a nice momento, but I think my DH would commit me if I spent $300 framing my pictures. ;)

I assume they give a "free" quote...if it's out of my ball-park, may just pick up an Exacto Knife and practice cutting. ;)

I used Michaels to frame a pc of cross stitch and was very happy with the work but even with the coupon it was expensive. I found out after the fact that a local framer (my mom uses him) does it just as nice but alot cheaper so you might want to browse the yellow pages and check out local people before heading to the corporate stores. Make a few phone calls for estimates. Again loved the work from Michaels but expect to pay for it.

Neither, go with a local independent that you build a relationship with. My sister does this for all of her cross stitch work, she does maybe 4 per year. She gets great prices and absolutely beautiful results. She will bring in a piece and the owner/framer says, "I have just the thing..." This is how I work with my framer. SHe is also a friend. We are very much in sync with each other and have very similar ideas, when it comes to framing art and handiwork.

BTW, my sis lives in the Minneapolis area. I live in suburban PA.

I've had several things framed there over the years (4 items I think). I've had to take back 3 to have various problems fixed. The last picture was a poster of Pooh in a garden, kind of looks like a Monet. Anyway, I paid over $200 for custom framing (after 50% discount). A year later, the picture falls off my wall because the screw they used to secure the wire you hang the picture with pulled out. The frame was busted on one side, but the glass and everything else looked fine. I had the receipt (along with the sticker on the back of the frame saying "Michaels") and took it back. Long story short, the manager refused to fix the frame. She offered to fix it at a discount of 50% (the same discount they were offering to the general public!). To say I was P-ed off would be an understatement. So needless to say, I will never patronize them again.

We have always wondered if Michael's charged twice as much to offer the 50% off all the time. We have used Hobby Lobby to cut some custom mats in the past (cheaper than Michaels) but haven't tried them for framing. We have several pieces that we would like framed so we plan to get a few estimates this time.

ElizaB39 said:
Neither, go with a local independent that you build a relationship with. My sister does this for all of her cross stitch work, she does maybe 4 per year. She gets great prices and absolutely beautiful results. She will bring in a piece and the owner/framer says, "I have just the thing..." This is how I work with my framer. SHe is also a friend. We are very much in sync with each other and have very similar ideas, when it comes to framing art and handiwork.

BTW, my sis lives in the Minneapolis area. I live in suburban PA.
I, too, live in the north-eastern Pittsburgh suburbs - who do you use?

I just got back from Michaels - still laughing...received a quote on 3 pieces, in order to obtain 70% discount. Items are:

2 - 12 X 14 inch serigraphs, just need 1 mat = $220 each

1 - 13 X 18 overall frame, dual cut (2 different items) & 2 mats = $570

After 70% discount $1010 + $70 tax for a grand total of $1080

Michael's changes their pricing based upon the coupon currently being offered. Even with the coupon it is not a deal. Check other local framers...many will accept competitors' coupons. If you have a Deck the Walls around you, they will take the Michael's coupon and do a great job.

keishashadow said:
I, too, live in the north-eastern Pittsburgh suburbs - who do you use?

I just got back from Michaels - still laughing...received a quote on 3 pieces, in order to obtain 70% discount. Items are:

2 - 12 X 14 inch serigraphs, just need 1 mat = $220 each

1 - 13 X 18 overall frame, dual cut (2 different items) & 2 mats = $570

After 70% discount $1010 + $70 tax for a grand total of $1080

Ha, I would have been laughing in their faces! I acutally live in the Philly burbs, my first post was not clear, sorry about that.

I recently got a large piece 3 ft x 4 ft floated on a suede mat with glass and beautiful frame (mid priced), one original oil (with most ex*****eve line of frame) frame only 2 ft x 3 ft, and one cross stitch 14 x 20 stretched, double circle matted with frame (lower priced) and glass for a total of $480.
I paid cash and got a bit of a discount as well. This is a local one person store that does mostly custom work for residential and commerical businessses.

catherinesmom said:
If you have a Deck the Walls around you, they will take the Michael's coupon and do a great job.
Thanks for mentioning this as I was not aware. I'll call my local Deck the Walls to ask if they participate.

I guess I should have said, "their highest priced line of frame" :rotfl2: , instead!

poohj80 said:
Those quotes were AFTER the 70% off? :earseek:
Yep, she said they would cost more because:

1. They were not stock size mats

2. They were not stock size frames

3. They would not process the order unless I used "preservation-quality materials"; since they were collectible and needed to be protected.

Note that the original rough estimate was even higher using what they termed "medium quality" frames. I had them revise it to lower cost, plain black frames.

I think they were afraid that they'd damage the items (serigraphs, lithograph & uncut stamp sheet) so they priced it high or maybe I looked dumb enough to pay what they quoted. Whatever they're factoring in as labor has got to be the culprit, can't be the materials.

What strikes me funny is that the framing cost for the dual cut litho & stamps is almost 10 times the cost of the actual items that need framed.

I bought a beautifully framed & double matted limited edition Donald Duck litho & pin set from Disney Direct @ 70% off, and paid 3/4 less than what Michaels is asking just for matting & framing 1 of the smaller pictures.

How did you get 70% off at Michaels? I have only ever seen the 50% off.

Also, be aware of the difference in the Michaels coupons. Normally they have 50% off framing. This is only good for 50% off the actual frame, but NOT the glass, matt, backing, etc. Wait until they publish a coupon for 50% off ENTIRE framing order, which includes the glass, matt, backing, etc.

I am very happy with my purchase from Michaels and feel it is good quality for the $100 I spent. I did, however, purchase one of the more inexpensive frames, I chose normal glass not the special UV fancy glass, etc.

My DD loves her picture. We gave it to her as her Christmas present.

I have also gotten 4 prints framed from Michaels, smaller ones like 8x10 and they were less than $100 with the 50% off ENTIRE order coupon.

Maggie

To save $$ I have used Hobby Lobby. I have gone with my pictures, showed them the artwork and then picked out a stock size frame. I picked out the mat board and asked them to cut the mats to the size I need.

They used to have a policy that if you buy the mat, glass and frame there they will put it together for your for free. Now I don't know if they still do this. They offer discounts on the stock frames every now and then.

So, if you find a stock frame you like there, you can get the finished look without the custom price. Just an idea.

I didn't read through ALL the posts...but I was going to say...depending on what size your looking at...and what size/shape your art work is in...you may be better off having a custom matt done...and buying a premade frame. That's what we did for our piece we got on the Disney Magic last year...Myself I think it turned out great. We actually purchased an oversized frame at Michaels....then had the matting work done at Craft Warehouse...plus Craft Warehouse mounted our work with the matt in the frame that we brought in (the one from Michaels). They did a wonderful job...and in the end we save BIG BIG money....not having a complete custom job done....Oh...and to make things even better I personaly think for the money we got a WAY better frame going this route...(at least alot better than we could have if we went the custom way).

I did see that other's have offered this sort of advise also... :teeth: But hey...it's a good one.

We took our prints to Hobby Lobby today to get an estimate on custom framing. The lady who helped us was VERY sweet and told us they would be having a 50% custom framing sale in two weeks. She wrote up our framing order as if she were doing it today, but then calculated everything at 1/2 off and told us the bring the prints back with her write-up a week from Monday and then she'd do it at half price. Michael's has NEVER done anything like this and this way we know the framing prices aren't being doubled before they take the 50% during the sale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter