MGM sold?

halld6479

DIS Veteran
We are down here now and Saturday night around mid night fireworks were going off behind SSR, we ask the next morning and most knew nothing then one young CM said oh probably the ones celebrating the purchase of MGM by the new company it took place at midnight. Has anyone else heard that Disney sold MGM off? Then I overheard several guys talking about the great fireworks set off Saturday night for Gay Days party.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. is an independent, privately-held motion picture, television, home video, and theatrical production and distribution company. The company owns the world's largest library of modern films, comprising approximately 4,000 titles, and over 10,400 episodes of television programming. Its film library has received 208 Academy Awards, one of the largest award winning collections in the world, and includes numerous successful film franchises, including James Bond, Pink Panther and Rocky. MGM is owned by an investor consortium comprised of Providence Equity Partners, TPG, Sony Corporation of America, Comcast Corporation, DLJ Merchant Banking Partners and Quadrangle Group.

But in other news whatever Disney does I'm OK with. :cheer2: :cheer2:

:eek:

I don't know where to begin...

First, Disney did NOT sell the Disney-MGM Studios. It's long been rumored that the name may change since Disney no longer has a working relationship with MGM.

And I don't believe there is any official recognition of Gay Days at WDW, although I don't know that for certain.

I believe I heard that they've been testing the pyro for a new Illuminations show or somesuch after park close - perhaps that was it?

Oh you mean the Park was sold off...what a great idea...after all Disney is a business. I wonder who bought the park?

There was a private event at the MGM Studios on Saturday night. It was affiliated with the private company that runs GayDays in the Orlando area.

Anybody with enough money can hire the parks out for such an event. The fireworks you saw were associated with that.

Knox

thank you for the info I will say they were pretty nice from what we saw through the trees. And goes to show you can asl five people and get five different answers even at Disney.

But the OP said they were "behind SSR." MGM is no where near SSR. I think it would be tough to see any fireworks from MGM at SSR.

-Matt

But the OP said they were "behind SSR." MGM is no where near SSR. I think it would be tough to see any fireworks from MGM at SSR.

-Matt

It's only about 2.75 miles to MGM from SSR. I think it is possible.

I suppose a definition of "behind SSR" would help. From what perspective?

We were staying at the Beach Club Saturday night with a full view of the boardwalk and the Tower of Terror from our room. When the fireworks went off they woke me up and I went to our balcony to take a look. I can tell you that without a doubt the fireworks were coming from MGM.

I was at Pleasure Island that evening and I did see fireworks off in the general direction of MGM at that hour..

Plus I know people who were there. There were fireworks at MGM that night. It seems quite reasonable to assume that is what the OP saw.. (depending as noted on what 'behind SSR' actually means..)

Knox

we were in the first building across from the sign in building sliding door was facing towards OKW water way to the left over the main building was the direction the fireworks were coming I felt it was the far end of DTD but I do get confused when I am in a building.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter