MGM Brown Derby

Twende

Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....
We are just back from a great Disney experiece and there was only one black cloud and that was a dinner at the Brown Derby.

We had dinner for four this last Saturday night and even with a PS we waited for ever! Once we entered at least half the tables were empty yet the waiting area was full and they were telling people with no PS that the wait was at least an hour, and more likely more than that. Could it be they are having trouble getting help? :confused3

We were taken to our table, not a booth as requested.... and told that our server, Carlos, would be right with us. Well he took his good old time! We ordered our drinks and he was basically ignoring us! Once when I tried to tell him what kind of coffee I wanted and he turned his back and walked away from our table! He seemed disgusted that we did not want appetizer's or a bottle of wine. Two in our party ordered cocktails and the one was not prepared as ordered and the glass of water needed to take medication, never did come until after the dinner! :sad2:

Our salads came and the server was reminded that we did not want our dinner until we had finished our cocktails. Needless to say the main couse came long before we had asked for it. We felt very rushed! We had ordered the beef filet, pork tenderloin, half a roasted chicken and the grouper. Three of the four were fine but the chicken was half raw! Water glasses had to be repeatedly asked for and were never refilled. The server, Carlos, was no where to be found any time we needed anything and never came back to the table to see if things were okay! Rolls were nice and warm but no butter! Again after repeated asking we got a small quantity of butter and had to ask for more. It came after we had finished eating! It was just pathetic and not the kind of service you would ever expect in a nice place!

We had fantastic servers at Beaches and Cream, Rain Forest, Concourse Grill, and even at Pepper Market but forget Brown Derby! :sad2:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience there. We've usually had great experiences, though our last one was a bit off too. When we were seated they put us at a table for 4 (2 adults and an infant) and asked where we wanted the highchair. Well Madison was 3 months at the time, so she couldn't sit in a highchair so we said we didn't need one, but since she was sleeping we were going to lay her on a chair. The CM who seated us told us that if we were not going to get a highchair she was taking away our other chairs. This sounded ridiculous, and we pointed out she would be using a chair and the other chair would be holding our bags. Well she fought with us for about 5 minutes and then just walked away. Then our server came, and since when he saw we were doing the FDP he hardly saw us again. The larger table next to us (6 or 8 people) that ordered tons of alcohol got plenty of attention though. It was a little annoying, but we figure that we're bound to get one bad experience after many good ones, and we're going back in April hoping for better luck.

I hope you complained to management and showed your displeasure in your tip..

Yes we showed our displeasure in the tip! I think it was all of $2!

I plan on writting to Disney about the experiece but at the time we just wanted out of there and did not want to make a scene or get ourselves worked up any further.

We debated or whether we should even leave a tip but we wanted the server to know that were just did not forget but that we were unhappy!

Any idea on where I should send the letter?

We have been there several times, and essentially went there on every trip to WDW, but the last time we ate there we came away feeling, well, blah. The food was unremarkable, even the cobb salad, but well prepared. The service was good though. What I have tired of is the small menu. I don't believe that there are enough selections, but of course, if your there for the cobb, then that doesn't really matter. I guess the Derby has fallen off of our 'Must Do' list. On our last two visits to WDW, the Derby didn't even come up in discussion.

hmmmmmm. Me too. After years of fantastic experiences, I had the long wait for a 1/2 emtpy restaurant, (45 min after my PS time, at 2pm!), finally got seated practically in the main throroughfare, and had really indifferent service. The buns were white and only half baked, and there was no effort to help me with a special dietary need.

I did have a really good chat with a nice young male manager, who really listened and took my feedback to heart. He really seemed to care, and didn't get defensive about it. Hopefully it's just a bad patch for them, and things will get better, as it was an old standard for good service and good food.

zurgswife said:
I hope you complained to management and showed your displeasure in your tip..

When you show your displeasure in leaving your tip, but don't follow through with a complaint to management, most servers will feel that your just cheap, rather than there was anything wrong with your service.

Another way to show displeasure is to leave your $2.oo tip with one penny. Shows that yes, you know your tip is small & the reason is your service, not my being cheap.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience there :( That's one of my favorite restaurants. But they all have their moments. I hope you'll give it another chance one day :flower:

I had doubts about this one. I think I will opt for Mama Melroses instead. Hopefully the Cobb salad at Starring Rolls will be similar.;)

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I went there last summer and had a really great dinner. However, I had a horrible experience at the Sci-Fi. I think, even a good place can have bad servers and off nights.

magicmouse2 said:
I had doubts about this one. I think I will opt for Mama Melroses instead. Hopefully the Cobb salad at Starring Rolls will be similar.;)

The Cobb Salad at the HBD is incredibly unique and one that I haven't had anywhere else. We eat here very often and almost every time have a wonderful experience. Even if the service has been a tad slow at times, the food has always been wonderful. If you really want the best Cobb salad, this is the place to have it as it's the closes to the original.

I would have complained, the moment that your chicken was half raw. Of course writing a letter may help too. I had a simular experience at resturant at home and I just asked for the manager to another server because ours was no where to be found. You could always call down too and ask for the manager and explain what happened. You never know what they might do but they need to know that "Carlos" wasnt spreading the disney magic

Maybe that's why they're giving PS no later than 4:30 pm in the FDP for 9 pm showings of Fantasmic!!!

In my humble opinion, the Brown Derby may be the most overrated dining experience in all of MGM, if not WDW.

I hope this is temporary. I had great service and food the two times I went (once last june and again the june prior).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter