Mexican Halloween and Beach Adventure (CZ91)

natebenma

Beach Club Dee
Disney Fantasy, September 30-October 6

Halloween on the High Seas

I am a Disney cruise newbie. I have done a handful of other cruises- 1 Royal Caribbean Bahamas, 2 RC Caribbean and 1 Carnival Alaska.

For my first Disney cruise, I was travelling with my dear friend Teena, who is a Disney Platinum cruiser. Her style is to stay on the ship and relax, mostly in the adult pool area. She has been to each of the cruise destinations numerous times and only gets off the ship at Castaway. I have trouble sitting still and my style is to get off the boat and into the ocean. Both of us were content to do our own things during the day and then meet for meals and nighttime entertainment. We were perfect travel companions!

One of my favorite things to do in the whole world is snorkeling. I had snorkeling excursions planned for Cozumel, Grand Cayman and I planned to do a lot of snorkeling on Castaway Cay (which I did and it was awesome).

The morning we arrived in Cozumel, the weather was horrible.

DSCF8546.jpg

I went to the theatre to meet up with my excursion group, where I learned the trip was cancelled due to the conditions. I really wanted to get off the ship and spend some time in the water, so I visited the excursion desk to see what trips were still available that included some beach time.

I selected:

Mexican Halloween and Beach Adventure (CZ91)-

See how Cozumel celebrates one of the most important holidays in Mexican culture- then chill at a beach club. Learn about Dia de los Muertos and visit a Mayan hut to see the symbol of the celebration, el Altar. Paint the famous La Calavera Catrina skull mask to take home as a souvenir (a little magnet). Then spend approximately 2 hours at Playa Mia Grand Beach and Water Park.

$59 Adult, $49 ages 3-9

It was raining as we left the ship.

DSCF8551.jpg

Our tour guide was dressed and made up in a Day of the Dead themed costume.

DSCF8553.jpg

On the bus ride over to the tour location, he explained the background of the Dia de los Muertos celebration which honors ancestors who have passed away. He explained some of the ancient Mayan roots of the celebration and the influence of the Catholic All Saints Day.

The organized tour part of our excursion took place at the chocolate company in the plaza connected to Playa Mia beach.

We walked through a small museum which had exhibits about the history and significance of chocolate to the Mexican people. We then watched a presentation explaining more of the history and described the process of making chocolate. At the end of this, we were able to sample pieces of chocolate with different sweetness levels.

DSCF8572.jpg

DSCF8575%202.jpg

DSCF8580%202.jpg

DSCF8581%202.jpg

DSCF8582%202.jpg

The next part of our tour took place in an activity room. Here, we were placed on teams and had a competition where we needed to construct an altar that honored our “ancestors”

My team did not win.

DSCF8588.jpg

Next up was decorating a small skull with markers. There are two magnets on the back of the skull so you can hang your masterpieces on the fridge.

I worked on mine for a little while, but never finished it.

After we worked on our skulls (or while, I can’t remember), we were introduced to a few traditional Mexican food dishes and we were able to sample the offerings. There was also some Mexican hot chocolate (YUM!) to try.

I am not sure why I don’t have more pictures of this or a recollection of what there was to try.

DSCF8594.jpg

Then, as all tours do, this one concluded in the gift shop.

There were samples of all of the different flavors that you could try.

DSCF8596.jpg

I purchased a banana and cardamom chocolate bar to bring home to my family.

We met back up with our tour guide who gave us wristbands for the beach and instructions about what time we needed to meet back at the bus.

Here are the pictures of the beach that I posted in a previous message:

DSCF8623.jpg

I believe one adult drink was included with our beach pass and I presume a soft drink for anyone who wanted that instead. There was also a buffet of food for an additional fee if you wanted some lunch while you were at the beach. I think there was also a snack shack.

OMG- I don’t remember if towels were provided or if I brought one from the ship. I think I brought one.

Chairs were plentiful, but I have no idea if that was because of the weather or if this is always the case here.

DSCF8606.jpg

DSCF8611.jpg

I tried the slide and a couple of the other inflatable structures. If you are going to use any of these, you are required to wear a safety vest.

DSCF8607.jpg

DSCF8608.jpg

DSCF8616.jpg

I didn’t spend any time at the pools that were available.

DSCF8617.jpg

DSCF8618.jpg

DSCF8619.jpg

Last edited:
Quick highjack, sorry! Have been searching for firsthand info on this for two months!

Did you like it? Do you recommend it? A couple of us are trying to get a review of it. I have it booked for myself and my two granddaughters, ages 8 and 9, on our upcoming Halloween on the High Seas cruise. Do you think it would be enjoyable for them or should I switch to a straight beach excursion?

Thank you for any thoughts in advance.
@All about me

Per your request

:goodvibes

@natebenma or @All about me Can either of you tell me what time this excursion left/returned to the ship? Thanks!!

According to the timestamp on my camera (a point & shoot, not cell, so the time may not be accurate), we were on the dock at 12:15 (I think it was actually 11:15) and we returned a little before "5:00" (4 pm), so the trip was about 5 hours. I know it started fairly late in the morning, because my original excursion was cancelled and I had to scramble to find a trip to the beach that hadn't already departed. I also had time to take a ride on the Aquaduck, and to find my travelling companions to let them know about my change in plans before I left.

Hope that helps!

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter