Memory Lane - Old Contemporary Resort Arcade/Gameroom

I remember the days when it was called Fiesta Food and Fun Center I believe
They also had the Pueblo Room restaurant on the 4th floor, which had really good food.

Where the Pueblo Room once sat is now part of the Chef Mickey's restaurant. If I'm not mistaken -- someone correct me if I'm wrong -- Coconino Cove became part of the Outer Rim.

What's madness about the pre-1990's Contemporary is that the Terrace Cafe, Buffeteria and Pueblo Room all basically served the same food but were open at different times and for different lengths.

We loved the huge game room. I would sit and eat a snack while the kids played. We watched Cinderella there. It was one of our do not miss attractions!!

I loved that place. My brother and I would take the monorail from the POLY to go to the game room. We would get the meatball sub. It was awesome. Last time I was their in the movie theather was 1984. My best friend and I watched Cinderella. When I went back in 1997 and asked a CM about it they looked at me like I was crazy. I think she was rather young.

I totally remember the old game room. My younger brother and I practically lived there back in 1985 when we weren’t in the parks or at the pool.

I remember it fondly..It had a grab and go for food too..We would have breakfast biscuits and play the frontierland shooting gallery before boarding the monorail in the morning.

Spent some time in the CR game room during the summer of '83. Was down there on a school band trip. We were staying in some offsite motel, and taking the bus to to the park everyday. Not to many of my roommates wanted to spend time in the parks (MK and Epcot, especially Epcot), so we spent way too much time over at the arcade at the CR. Oh well. I do remember that I saw/played the "Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century" game there for the first time, so that was cool.

Mike

I definitely remember it from my first trip in the early 1980s. It was giant (or felt that way to a 5 year old) and it always seemed busy. I got a cariciature done on that trip and I am almost positive the artist was actually set up inside this area. Sadly, I don't have any pictures, just memories, but hopefully someone else will!

I know you posted this a year ago, I was just googling "caricature Contempoary Hotel 1982" and your post popped up. I have caricatures done of my kids who were 11 and 8 at the time!

That arcade was a paradise of arcade games in the golden age of arcades. I still remember playing games like Rally-X and the full environmental versions of Star Trek and Discs of Tron. While there are pictures of the Food and Fun Center from the 90's-2000's - I can't seem to find any from the 80s when it was at its best.

Does anyone out there remember the 1980's arcade/gameroom in the Contemporary Resort? My family traveled to WDW almost every year from the late 1970's to late 1980's and we usually stayed at the CR. During the video game/arcade craze in the early-to-mid-1980's, the gameroom at the CR was a kid's Nirvana. The space was massive and was filled with what seemed like hundreds of video games, air hockey machines, etc. It had a small movie theater on the end which constantly played old Disney movies. It also had (which was so cool) its own Frontierland Shootin' Arcade-type shooting gallery. It was phenominal and always a highlight of my brother's and my trip.

If anyone remembers this gem, please let me know. Also, if anyone could dig out a photo of the old gameroom, I would love to see it as it was.
Yes, it was awesome, started going there in 1975, I LOVED that game room, I also remember seeing Mary Poppins in the little theater in the back. They had this awesome game called "Clowns" I had the highest score on that machine and we went back every year and no one could beat my score. I even remember a bunch of guys standing behind me in a semi circle because they couldn't believe how good I was at that game. The closest I got to that game on Atari was a game called Circus. Then they built the snack bar and took away some games, We stayed at the Contemporary from 75 to 80 in the tower, then in 82 we stayed in the Wings because my 2 year old son was a daredevil and I was petrified of him climbing over the railing and didn't want to be high up anymore. I would have watched him like a hawk but I kept having nightmares so the Wings it was, first floor. Then they moved the game room to the 4th floor concourse level and it's so small. I haven't been in the game room there for the longest time as when we go now we stay at the All Star Music. There gameroom isn't too bad but I miss the original Contemporary Game Room.

Yes, it was awesome, started going there in 1975, I LOVED that game room, I also remember seeing Mary Poppins in the little theater in the back. They had this awesome game called "Clowns" I had the highest score on that machine and we went back every year and no one could beat my score. I even remember a bunch of guys standing behind me in a semi circle because they couldn't believe how good I was at that game. The closest I got to that game on Atari was a game called Circus. Then they built the snack bar and took away some games, We stayed at the Contemporary from 75 to 80 in the tower, then in 82 we stayed in the Wings because my 2 year old son was a daredevil and I was petrified of him climbing over the railing and didn't want to be high up anymore. I would have watched him like a hawk but I kept having nightmares so the Wings it was, first floor. Then they moved the game room to the 4th floor concourse level and it's so small. I haven't been in the game room there for the longest time as when we go now we stay at the All Star Music. There gameroom isn't too bad but I miss the original Contemporary Game Room.
This thread is from 10 years ago

The Fiesta Fun Room! (I think it was called Center, but , for some reason, I always remember it as Room. :upsidedow) ...Anyway, I LOVED it!

I had my caricature drawn there a couple of times.

They ruined the resort when they removed the Fiesta Fun Center. Hours on end were spent there playing games, watching movies, having caricatures done and eating in the food center. So many kids had a blast there. Now EVERYTHING is jammed packed on the concourse level. It's awful. Used to be wide open spaces between the shops, where you could just sit and watch the monorail come and go. Fantasia Gift Shop was the best! The little convenience store they has was so much better than what is offered today. The Buffeteria and Pueblo Room were great, and the breakfast (all you could eat) buffet at the Top of the World was THE BEST. Disney ruins everything.

Does anyone out there remember the 1980's arcade/gameroom in the Contemporary Resort? My family traveled to WDW almost every year from the late 1970's to late 1980's and we usually stayed at the CR. During the video game/arcade craze in the early-to-mid-1980's, the gameroom at the CR was a kid's Nirvana. The space was massive and was filled with what seemed like hundreds of video games, air hockey machines, etc. It had a small movie theater on the end which constantly played old Disney movies. It also had (which was so cool) its own Frontierland Shootin' Arcade-type shooting gallery. It was phenominal and always a highlight of my brother's and my trip.

If anyone remembers this gem, please let me know. Also, if anyone could dig out a photo of the old gameroom, I would love to see it as it was.
Yes probably mid or early 90s even??? I remember from when I was a kid it was awesome

It was still the Fiesta Food & Fun Centre when we first stayed at the CR in 1978. It was full of activity, bright colours mostly in hues of orange etc. and, I seem to recall, the constant noise of arcade games. I was very young, but have the memory of eating breakfast there before our first day in the MK. It was as though the place was part of the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter