Member Site Updated

Dumbo

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
The Disney Vacation Club web site has been updated. It includes news about the new "proposed" DVC resort at the Disney Institute. I guess that's about official as we can get. Click on "member news" in the upper left hand corner when at the site.

Dumbo

Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking to see if they'd post anything. I notice they have still kept the Eagle Pine info as well so that is still on the drawing board at least.

Thanks, DUMBO. I never look at the Members' site because I find it to be WORTHLESS. :)

Now, if they could just gear up for computerized reservations, I'd be mooooooooorrrrrrrrrre encouraged;) ;) ............

Eros,

You took the words right out of my mouth....I usually go there once every 2 weeks....and nothing ever changes.....:o

LOL every two weeks - I go twice a year at best.

Well......I'm sure glad I looked over the Member Site about 3 weeks ago. Otherwise......I probably wouldn't have gotten a cabin for the DVC 10th Anniversary Cruise. So.....it does pay to look there occasionally :)

HARRIET
DVC Member '96 Vero & OKW

If DVC would e-mail members, or mail post cards(to everybody) about new trips and deals, we wouldn't have to rely on the DVC site that isn't very current.:rolleyes:

ncligs that could raise our dues some. postage, paper and someone to send them and ssuch. Oh well.:rolleyes:

DaveH

Do you know how long it would take to send a"group e-mail" to DVC Members? After all members are put in the group, and new ones added daily, it would take about 5 seconds to send a group e-mail. I really don't think that would justify raising our dues.

Do you know how long it would take to send a"group e-mail" to DVC Members?

I agree. Our church is switching over to an e-mail newsletter to save money on postage.

For a company which relies on the internet for a great many things I believe that they do not use the internet enough and our members page is a joke, why can we not register our e mail address a get the updates that way instead off waiting weeks for the mail. Hell should not have to freeze over before we get a better page.

Stevie Kay
Inverness
Scotland

I was unable to find the information about the DI villas on the members page. When I go to member's news all I see is that the 10 year cruise is sold out!

What am I doing wrong?

Larry

Eagle pines is on hold, indefinitely. DI is going to be leveled (with some exceptions) and converted to a DVC property.

I didn't find the DI info on the member's site either. Only the old writeup on EPV.

ralphd:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

For some reason, Disney has removed the DI information from the member's site. I saw it there right after the article appeared in the Orlando Sentinel, but when I checked today it was gone. The info regarding Eagle Pines was still there though.

For some reason it won't let me put the link here...here is the article....

Disney decides vacation -- not education -- is hot

By Robert Johnson | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted January 25, 2002

Walt Disney World plans to demolish about one-fourth of its troubled Disney Institute resort and build 192 new time-share units there.

The Disney Institute opened more than five years ago but has been largely shuttered of late because attendance has declined.

But Disney's "Vacation Club" time-share apartments are hot sellers. Customers, mostly with families, plunk down between $11,000 and $150,000 for the right to stay at various Disney resorts, including the time-share units themselves, for periods ranging from one week to more than a month annually.

Construction on the new time-share apartments that will displace part of Disney Institute will start in the spring, said George Aguel, senior vice president of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. The new resort, scheduled to open in 2004, doesn't yet have a name. "We're still working on a theme," Aguel said.

Located near the Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island entertainment-dining areas, the new time shares are evidence that the strategy of selling resort units is more viable than opening more hotel rooms. Last year, Disney World indefinitely delayed the planned opening of its huge Pop Century hotel and closed its Port Orleans resort.

In sharp contrast, the 536 Vacation Club rooms that opened in 1996 in Disney World's Boardwalk Villas are nearly sold out, Aguel said.

Another Disney World time share, Beach Club Villas, is scheduled to open this summer, he said. Pre-opening sales are to begin in February.

Disney Institute rooms were priced from $200 to $500 a night. Disney officials have previously said that the cutbacks at Disney Institute are partly a result of the post-Sept. 11 travel slowdown. Disney World has almost 22,000 hotel rooms and about 2,000 time-share units.

Ensconced in a leafy area bordering a golf course, Disney Institute derived its name from the educational entertainment concept on which it was founded.

The brainchild of Walt Disney Co. Chairman Michael Eisner, it began as a resort that combined vacations with the study of personal-enrichment pursuits such as gardening and the arts.

But the hotel, which housed such famous guests as President Clinton, failed to achieve the kind of success Disney management expected.

Founded in a year of record crowds at Walt Disney World, Disney Institute now often has a deserted look. After initially catering to tourists seeking a different Disney experience, the focus later shifted to business travelers and corporate groups.

Although the resort remains partly open, most of its 800 employees have been transferred to other jobs in various parts of Disney World's hotels and theme parks.

Will new time shares eventually displace the rest of Disney Institute, with the initial 192 units being just a first phase? Aguel deflected that question. "You really make those plans based on demand, once you get into the sales process."

Robert Johnson can be reached at rwjohnson@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5664.

Copyright © 2002, Orlando Sentinel

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest